- Volume 8 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Algorithm for Fault Location Estimation on Transmission Lines using Second-order Difference of a Positive Sequence Current Phasor
- Yeo, Sang-Min (Power & Industrial Systems R&D Center, Hyosung Corporation) ;
- Jang, Won-Hyeok (The department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign) ;
- Kim, Chul-Hwan (School of Information and Communication Engineering, Sungkyunkwan University)
- Received : 2012.02.23
- Accepted : 2013.01.09
- Published : 2013.05.01
The accurate estimation of a fault location is desired in distance protection schemes for transmission lines in order to selectively deactivate a faulted line. However, a typical method to estimate a fault location by calculating impedances with voltages and currents at relaying points may have errors due to various factors such as the mutual impedances of lines, fault impedances, or effects of parallel circuits. The proposed algorithm in this paper begins by extracting the fundamental phasor of the positive sequence currents from the three phase currents. The second-order difference of the phasor is then calculated based on the fundamental phasor of positive sequence currents. The traveling times of the waves generated by a fault are derived from the second-order difference of the phasor. Finally, the distance from the relaying point to the fault is estimated using the traveling times. To analyze the performance of the algorithm, a power system with EHV(Extra High Voltage) untransposed double-circuit transmission lines is modeled and simulated under various fault conditions, such as several fault types, fault locations, and fault inception angles. The results of the simulations show that the proposed algorithm has the capability to estimate the fault locations with high speed and accuracy.
- Y. J. Kwon, S. H. Kang, D. G. Lee, H. K. Kim, "Fault location algorithm based on cross correlation method for HVDC cable lines," IET 9th International Conference on Developments in Power System Protection 2008, pp. 360-364, 17-20 Mar. 2008.
- Jiantao Sun, Xishan Wen, Xinlao Wei, Qingguo Chen, Yonghong Wang, "Traveling Wave Fault Location for Power Cables Based on Wavelet Transform", 2007 International Conference on Mechatronics and Automation, pp.1283-1287, 5-8 Aug. 2007.
- S. Lin, Z.Y. He, X.P. Li,Q.Q. Qian, "Travelling wave time-frequency characteristic-based fault location method for transmission lines", IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, Vol. 6, No. 8, pp.764- 772, August 2012. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-gtd.2011.0703
- V. Kale, S. Bhide, P. Bedekar, "Fault Location Estimation Based on Wavelet Analysis of Traveling Waves", Asia-Pacific Power and Energy Engineering Conference (APPEEC) 2012, pp.1-5, 27-29 March 2012.
- L.U. Iurinic, A.S. Bretas, E.S. Guimaraes, D.P. Marzec, "Analysis of single-ended traveling-wave fault location based on continuous wavelet transform inferred from signal", 11th International Conference on DPSP 2012, pp. 1-6, 23-26 April 2012.
- P. M. Anderson, "Analysis of faulted power systems," IEEE PRESS Power Systems Engineering Series, 1995.
- A. G. Phadke, J. S. Thorp, M. G. Adamiak, "A new measurement technique for tracking voltage phasors, local system frequency, and rate of change of frequency," IEEE Transactions on Power Apparatus and Systems, Vol. PAS-102, No. 5, pp. 1025-1038, May 1983.
- Y. J. Ahn, S. H. Kang, "A study on the transient characteristics in 765kV untransposed transmission systems," Transactions on KIEE, Vol. 53A, No. 7, pp. 397-404, July 2004.
- M. M. Mansour, G. W. Swift, "A multi-microprocessor based travelling wave relay-theory and realization," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 272-279, Jan. 1986.
- S. Wajendra, P. G. McLaren, "Traveling-wave techniques applied to the protection of teed circuits: principle of traveling wave techniques," IEEE Transactions on Power Apparatus and Systems, Vol. PAS- 104, No. 12, pp. 3544-3550, Dec. 1985.
- S. Rajendra, P. G. McLaren, "Traveling wave techniques applied to the protection of teed circuits: Multiphase/ multi circuit system," IEEE Transactions on Power Apparatus and Systems, Vol. PAS-104, No. 12, pp. 3551-3557, Dec. 1985. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAS.1985.318909
- E. H. Shehab-Eldin, P. G. McLaren, "Traveling wave distance protection- problem areas and solutions," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 3, No. 3, pp. 894-902, July 1988.
- J. Blake, P. Tantaswadi, R. T. de Carvalho, "In-line Sagnac interferometer current sensor," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 11, No. 11, pp. 116-121, Jan. 1996. https://doi.org/10.1109/61.484007
- F. H. Magnago, A. Abur, "Fault location using wavelets," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 1475-1480, Oct. 1998.
- M. Silva, M. Oleskovicz, D. V. Coury, "A fault locator for transmission lines using traveling waves and wavelet transform theory," Eighth IEE International Conference on Developments in Power System Protection, Vol. 1, pp. 212-215, 5-8 April 2004.
- A. Elhaffar, M. Lehtonen, "Travelling waves based earth fault location in 400 kV transmission network using single end measurement," Large Engineering systems Conference on Power Engineering, pp. 53-56, July 2004.
- W. Dai, M. Fang, L. Cui, "Traveling wave fault location system," World Congress on Intelligent Control and Automation, Vol. 2, pp. 7449-7452, June 2006.
- N. Perera, A. D. Rajapakse, A. M Gole, "Wavelet-based relay agent for isolating faulty sections in distribution grids with distributed generators," The 8th IEE International Conference on AC and DC Power Transmission, Vol. 513, pp. 162-166, Mar. 2006.
- H. W. Dommel, J. M. Michels, "High speed relaying using traveling wave transient analysis," IEEE PES Winter Power Meeting, New York, No. 78 CH1295-5 PWR, paper No. A78 214-9, pp. 1-7, Jan. 1978.
- Accurate Fault Location for Untransposed/Transposed Transmission Lines Using Sparse Wide-Area Measurements vol.31, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2015.2477301