- Volume 8 Issue 3
Recently, Korean system operating conditions have gradually approached an upper limit. When a contingency occurs, the power system may have no solutions. Different from the cases of bad initial guesses or the solutions are too close to the solvability boundary in which numerical methods can be applied, for unsolvable cases, the only way to restore solvability would be structure modifications. In this paper, a new approach for corrective and preventive control to such cases is proposed in two steps: (i) finding any solution regardless its feasibility; (ii) for the infeasible solution, make it feasible with additional modifications at load buses having Distributed Energy Resources. The test case built based on the peak load profile of 2008 by KEPCO including 1336 buses is analyzed. Since reactive power compensation is optimized to restore solvability, all demands are met, therefore no blackouts happen. The proposed method was integrated in the LP program designed by power21 Corporation.
Convergence;DERs;Newton-Raphson method;Power flow;PTDFs;Solvability
- K Tomsovic, "Designing the Next Generation of Real-Time Control, Communication, and Computations for Large Power Systems", Special Issue on Energy Infrastructure Systems, 2003.
- Chien-Ning Yu, Yong T. Yoon, Marija D. Ilic and A. Catelli, "On-line voltage regulation: the case of New England". IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, Vol. 14, issue 4, pp. 1477-1484, Nov 1999.
- "Transmission system reliability methods-mathematical models, computing methods and results, EPRI Report EL-2126, July 1982.
- Arthur R. Bergen and Vijay Vital, "Power system analysis", 2nd ed., PRENTICE HALL, 2000.
- J. Duncan Glover, Mulukutla S. Sarma, Thomas J. Overbye, "Power system analysis and design", 4th ed., Thomson Learning, 2008.
- Granville, S., Mello, J. C. O., and Melo, A. C. G, "Application of interior point methods to power flow unsolvability", IEEE Trans. Power Syst., Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 1096-1103, May 1996. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.496200
- Feng, Z., Ajjarapu, V., and Maratukulam, D. J., "A practical minimum load shedding strategy to mitigate voltage collapse", IEEE Trans. Power Syst., Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 1285-1290, November 1998.
- Luciano V. Barboza, Roberto Salgado, "Corrective solutions of steady state power system via Newton Optimization method", SBA Controle & Automacao Vol. 11, No. 03 / Set., Out., Nov, December de 2000.
- Andre G.C. Conceicao and Carlos A. Castro, "A new approach to defining corrective control actions in case of infeasible operating situations", IEEE Porto Tech Conference, Portugal, 2001
- A. N. Wilson, "On the solutions of equations for nonlinear resistive networks" The Bell System Technical Journal, 1758.
- J Thorp and D Schulz, M Ilic-Spong, "Reactive power-voltage problem: conditions for the existence of solution and localized disturbance propagation", Electrical Power and Energy Systems Journal, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 66-73, April 1986. https://doi.org/10.1016/0142-0615(86)90001-3
- F. F. Wu, Y. K. Tsai, and Y. X. Yu, "Probabilistic steady-state and dynamic security assessment," IEEE Trans. on Power Systems, Vol. PWRS-3, pp. 1-9, Feb. 1988.
- F. Merce et al., "A framework to predict voltage collapse in power systems," IEEE Trans. on Power Systems, Vol. PWRS-3, pp.
- F.L. Alvarado et al., "Engineering foundations for the determination of security costs," IEEE Trans. on Power Systems, Vol. 1807-1813, NOV. 1988. PWRS- 6, pp. 1175-1182, Aug. 1991.
- B. Stott and J.L. Marinho, "Linear programming for power- system network security applications," IEEE Trans. on Power App. and Sys., Vol. PAS-98, pp. 837- 848, May/June 1979. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAS.1979.319296
- T. J. Bertram, K. D. Demaree, and L. C. Dangelmaier, "An integrated package for real-time security enhancement," IEEE Trans. on Power Systems, Vol. PWRSJ, pp. 592-600, May 1990.
- Assef Zobian and Marija D. Ilíc, "A steady state voltage monitoring and control algorithm using localized least square minimization of load voltage deviations". IEEE Trans. on Power Systems, Vol. 11, Issue 2, pp. 929-938, May 1996. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.496177
- Christopher Tufon, Alan Isemonger, Brendan Kirby, Fran Li, John Kueck. "A Tariff for Local Reactive Power Supply", IEEE PES T&D Conference, April 24, 2008. [Online] Available: info.ornl.gov/sites/ publiccations/Files/Pub10695.ppt
- P Lagonotte "Structural analysis of the electrical system: application to secondary voltage control in France", IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 4, No. 2, May 1989
- Vu, H., Pruvot, P., Launay, C. and Harmand, Y. "An improved voltage control on large-scale power system", IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 1295-1303, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.535670
- Corsi, "The secondary voltage regulation in Italy, In Power Engineering Society Winter Meeting, Vol. 1, pp. 296-304 IEEE.
- Sangsoo Seo, Sang-Gyun Kang, Byongjun Lee, Tae- Kyun Kim and Hwachang Song; "Determination of reactive power compensation considering large disturbances for power flow solvability in the Korean power system", Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 147-153, 2011 https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2011.6.2.147
- S. Iwamoto and Y. Tamya, "A load flow calculation method for ill-conditioned power systems", IEEE Trans. Power App. and Sys., Vol. PAS-100, pp. 1736- 1743, April 1981. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAS.1981.316511
- Prabha Kundur, "Power system stability and control", McGraw-Hill, Inc., 1993.
- Overbye, T. J., "A power flow measure for unsolvable cases", IEEE Trans. Power Syst., Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 1359-1365, August 1994.
- Overbye, T. J., "Computation of a practical method to restore power flow solvability", IEEE Trans. Power Syst., Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 280-287, February 1995.
- Numerical polynomial homotopy continuation method to locate all the power flow solutions vol.10, pp.12, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-gtd.2015.1546
연구 과제 주관 기관 : Korean Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning (KETEP)