- Volume 56 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Comparison of the Nutritional Compositions of Insect-Resistant and Glufosinate-Tolerant Rice and Conventional Rice
- Park, Soo-Yun (National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Lee, Si Myung (National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Yeo, Yunsoo (National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Kweon, Soon Jong (National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Cho, Hyun Suk (National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Kim, Jae Kwang (National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration)
- Received : 2012.06.07
- Accepted : 2012.10.08
- Published : 2013.03.31
The nutritional composition of transgenic rice (Agb0101) with bar and modified cry1Ac1 genes grown with herbicides was compared with that of its non-transgenic counterpart. The analyzed components (proximates, amino acids, fatty acids, minerals, vitamins, trypsin inhibitors, and phytic acid) in the herbicide-treated Agb0101 brown rice were substantially equivalent to those of its non-transgenic counterpart.
Supported by : National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration
- AOAC (2000a) Fat (crude) or ether extract in meat. AOAC official methods 960.39, Gaithersburg, MD, USA.
- AOAC (2000b) Determination of lead, calcium, copper, iron, zinc, sodium, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, manganese in food. AOAC official methods 999.11, Gaithersburg, MD, USA.
- AOAC (2005a) Ash of flour. AOAC official methods 923.03, Gaithersburg, MD, USA.
- AOAC (2005b) Nitrogen (total) in fertilizers. AOAC official methods 955.04, Gaithersburg, USA.
- AOAC (2005c) Protein efficiency ratio. AOAC official methods 982.30, Gaithersburg, MD, USA.
- AOAC (2005d) Phytate in foods. AOAC official methods 986.11, Gaithersburg, MD, USA.
- AOCS (1997a) In Official Methods and Recommended Practices of the American Oil Chemists. Champaign, IL, USA.
- AOCS (1997b) Fatty acid composition by gas chromatography. In Official Methods and Recommended Practices of the American Oil Chemists. Method Ce 1-62. Champaign, IL, USA.
- Bajaj S and Mohanty A (2005) Recent advances in rice biotechnology towards genetically superior transgenic rice. Plant Biotechnol J 3, 275–307. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-7652.2005.00130.x
- Bravo A, Gill SS, and Soberon M (2007) Mode of action of Bacillus thuringiensis Cry and Cyt toxin and their potential for insect control. Toxicon 49, 423-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.toxicon.2006.11.022
- Choe JS, Ahn HH, and Nam HJ (2002) Comparison of nutritional composition in Korean rice. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 31, 885-92. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2002.31.5.885
- Choi H, Moon JK, Park BS, Park HW, Park SY, Kim TS et al. (2012) Comparative nutritional analysis for genetically modified rice, Iksan483 and Milyang204, and nontransgenic counterparts. J Korean Soc Appl Biol Chem 55, 19-26. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13765-012-0004-5
- Codex Alimentarius (2009) Foods derived from modern biotechnology. Codex Alimentarius Commission, Joint FAO/WHO Food Standards Programme, Rome, Italy.
- Esteve MJ, Farre R, Frigola A, and Garcia-Cantabella JM (2001) Simultaneous determination of thiamin and riboflavin in mushrooms by liquid chromatography. J Agric Food Chem 49, 1450-4. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf001040p
- Kakade ML, Simons NR, Liener IE, and Lambert JW (1972) Biochemical and nutritional assessment of different varieties of soybeans. J Agric Food Chem 20, 87-90. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf60179a024
- Kim EH, Suh SC, Park BS, Shin KS, Kweon SJ, Han EJ et al. (2009) Chloroplast-targeted expression of synthetic cry1Ac in transgenic rice as an alternative strategy for increased pest protection. Planta 23, 397-405.
- Kim JK, Ha SH, Park SY, Lee SM, Kim HJ, Lim SH et al. (2012) Determination of lipophilic compounds in genetically modified rice using gas chromatography-time-of-flight mass spectrometry. J Food Compos Anal 25, 31-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfca.2011.06.002
- Kim JK, Park SY, Ha SH, Lee SM, Lim SH, Yu CY et al. (2011) Stable isotope dilution gas chromatography-time-of-flight mass spectrometry method for determining niacin in rice. Cereal Chem 88, 397-9. https://doi.org/10.1094/CCHEM-01-11-0010
- Li X, He X, Luo Y, Xiao G, Jiang X, and Huang K (2008) Comparative analysis of nutritional composition between herbicide-tolerant rice with bar gene and its non-transgenic counterpart. J Food Compos Anal 21, 535-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfca.2008.06.001
- Maqbool SB, Riazuddin S, Loc NT, Gatehouse AMR, Gatehouse JA, and Christou P (2001) Expression of multiple insecticidal genes confers broad resistance against a range of different rice pests. Mol Breed 7, 85-93. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1009644712157
- Nordic Council (2000) Safety assessment of novel food plants. Chemical analytical approaches to the establishment of substantial equivalence. TemaNord 1998, 591. Nordic Council of Ministers, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Oberdoerfer RB, Shillito RD, De Beuckeleer M, and Mitten DH (2005) Rice (Oryza sativa L.) containing the bar gene is compositionally equivalent to the nontransgenic counterpart. J Agric Food Chem 53, 1457-65. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf0486500
- OECD (2004) Environment, health and safety publications series on the safety of novel foods and feeds. No. 10. Consensus document on compositional considerations for new varieties of rice (Oryza sativa): key food and feed nutrients and anti-nutrients. Paris, France.
- Park SY, Lee SM, Lee JH, Ko HS, Kweon SJ, Suh SC et al. (2012) Compositional comparative analysis between insect-resistant rice (Oryza sativa L.) with a synthetic cry1Ac gene and its non-transgenic counterpart. Plant Biotechnol Rep 6, 29-37. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11816-011-0192-1
- Prosky L, Asp NG, Schweizer TF, DeVries JW, and Furda I (1988) Determination of insoluble, soluble, and total dietary fiber in foods and food products: interlaboratory study. J AOAC 71, 1017-23.
- Sims A and Shoemaker D (1993) Simultaneous liquid chromatographic determination of thiamine and riboflavin in selected foods. J AOAC Int 76, 1156-60.
- Comparative analysis of nutritional composition between the disease-resistant rice variety OsCK1 and conventional comparators vol.24, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-015-0030-2
- A 90-day subchronic feeding study of genetically modified rice expressing Cry1Ab protein in Sprague–Dawley rats vol.24, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11248-014-9844-6
- Comparative evaluation of nutritional compositions between transgenic rice harboring the CaMsrB2 gene and the conventional counterpart vol.25, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-016-0007-9
- Anthocyanins from black rice (Oryza sativa) promote immune responses in leukemia through enhancing phagocytosis of macrophages in vivo vol.14, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3892/etm.2017.4467