- Volume 17 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Seismic Performance Assessment of a Nonlinear Structure Controlled by Magneto-Rheological Damper Using Multi-Platform Analysis
자기유변댐퍼로 제어되는 비선형 구조물의 멀티플랫폼 해석을 이용한 내진성능평가
- Kim, Sung Jig (Department of Architectural Engineering, Keimyung University)
- 김승직 (계명대학교 건축공학과)
- Received : 2013.03.18
- Accepted : 2013.04.04
- Published : 2013.05.02
The paper introduces Multi-Platform Analysis (MPA) for the seismic performance of a structure controlled by Magneto-Rheological (MR) dampers and presents analytical assessment of the effect of MR damper when taking into account nonlinear behavior of the structure. This paper introduces the MR Damper Plugin that can facilitate communication between MATLAB/Simulink and a finite element analysis tool in order to account for more complex inelastic behavior of the structure with MR dampers. The MPA method using the developed MR Damper Plugin is validated with experimental results from the real-time hybrid simulation. By utilizing the proposed MPA method, the three-story RC structure controlled by MR dampers is more realistically modeled and its performance under seismic loads is investigated. It is concluded that MR damper designed for a linear structure is not effective in a nonlinear structure and can overestimate the effect of MR damper. This work is expected to overcome difficulties in the analytical assessment of structural control strategies for complex and nonlinear structures by obtaining more reliable results.
Supported by : 계명대학교
- Dyke SJ, Spencer BF, Sain MK, Carlson JD. An experimental study of MR dampers for seismic protection. Smart Materials and Structures. 1998;7:693-703. https://doi.org/10.1088/0964-1726/7/5/012
- Johnson EA. Ramallo JC. Spencer BF, Sain MK. Intelligent base isolation systems. Proc. 2nd World Conf. on Structural Control (Kyoto). 1998;1:367-376.
- Jiang Z, Christenson R. A comparison of 200 kN magnetorheological damper models for use in real-time hybrid simulation pretesting. Smart Materials and Structures. 2011;20(6).
- Gavin HP. Multi-duct ER dampers. Journal of Intelligent Material System and Structures. 2001;12:353-366. https://doi.org/10.1106/8398-U3X9-DHK9-K304
- Bass BJ, Christenson RE. System identification of a 200 kN magnetorheological fluid damper for structural control in large-scale smart structures. Proc. American Control Conf. New York City. 2007; 2690-2695.
- Wen YK. Method of random vibration of hysteretic systems. ASCE Journal of Engineering Mechanics Division. 1976; 102: 249-263.
- Spencer BF, Dyke SJ, Sain MK, Carlson, JD. Phenomenological model of a magnetorheological damper. ASCE Journal of Engineering Mechanics Division. 1997;123:230-238. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(1997)123:3(230)
- Dahl PR. Solid friction damping of mechanical vibrations. AIAA Journal. 1976;14:1675-1682. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.61511
- Aguirre N, Ikhouane F, Rodellar J, Christenson RE. Modeling and identification of large scale magnetorheological dampers. 4th European Conf. on Structural Control. c2008.
- Song X, Ahmadian M, Southward S. Modeling magnetorheological dampers with application of nonparametric approach. Journal of Intelligent Material System and Structures. 2005;16:421-432. https://doi.org/10.1177/1045389X05051071
- Ruangrassamee A, Srisamai W, Lukkunaprasit P. Response mitigation of the base isolated benchmark building by semi-active control with the viscous-plus-variable-friction damping force algorithm. Journal of Structural Control and Health Monitoring. 2006;13: 809-822. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.113
- Ohtori Y, Christenson RE, Spencer BF, Dyke SJ. Benchmark control problems for seismically excited nonlinear buildings. Journal of Engineering Mechanics. 2004;130:366-385. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2004)130:4(366)
- Elnashai AS, Papanikolaou V, and Lee D. Zeus NL - A System for Inelastic Analysis of Structures. Mid-America Earthquake Center. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. CD-Release 04-01. c2004.
- McKenna F, Fenves GL. The OpenSees command language manual, version 1.2. Pacific Earthquake Engineering Research Center. Univ. of California at Berkeley. c2001.
- Dermitzakis SN, Mahin SA. Development of Substructuring Techniques for On-line Computer Controlled Seismic Performance Testing. Report UCB/EERC-85/04, Earthquake Engineering Research Center, University of California, Berkeley. c1985.
- Kwon OS, Nakata N, Elnashai AS, Spencer BF. A Framework for Multi-site Distributed Simulation and Application to Complex Structural Systems. Journal of Earthquake Engineering. 2005;9(5): 741-753.
- Kim SJ, Holub C, Elnashai AS. Experimental investigation of the behavior of RC bridge piers subjected to horizontal and vertical earthquake motion. Engineering Structures. 2011;33(7):2221-2235. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2011.03.013
- Ji J, Kwon O, Elnashai A, Kuchma D. Chapter 15. Multi-resolution distributed FEA simulation of a 54-story RC building. Computational Structural Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering. Ed. M. Papadrakakis, D. C. Charmpis, N. D Lagaros, and Y. Tsompanakis, CRC Press. 2009;2.
- Kwon O, Elnashai AS. Seismic Analysis of Meloland Road Overcrossing Using Multiplatform Simulation Software Including SSI. Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE. 2008;134(4):651-660. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2008)134:4(651)
- Kim SJ, Christenson RE, Wojtkiewicz SF, Johnson EA. Real-Time Hybrid Simulation using the Convolution Integral Method. Smart Materials and Structures. 2011;20(2).
- Bracci JM, Reinhorn AM, Mander JB. Seismic resistance of reinforced concrete frame structures designed only for gravity loads: part I-design and properties of a one-third scale model structure. Technical report NCEER-92-0027. c1992.
- Kwon O, Elnashai AS. The effect of material and ground motion uncertainty on the seismic vulnerability curves of RC structure. Engineering Structures. 2006;28:289-303. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2005.07.010
- Christenson RE, Emmons AT. Semiactive structural control of a nonlinear building model: considering reliability ASCE Proc. Structures Congr. (New York). c2005.
- Chiou BS, Youngs R. An NGA Model for the Average Horizontal Component of Peak Ground Motion and Response Spectra. Earthquake Spectra. 2008;24:173-215. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.2894832
- Boore DM, Atkinson GM. Ground-Motion Prediction Equations for the Average Horizontal Component of PGA, PGV, and 5%-Damped PSA at Spectral Periods between 0.01 s and 10.0 s. Earthquake Spectra. 2008;24:99-138. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.2830434
- Campbell KW, Bozorgnia Y. NGA Ground Motion Model for the Geometric Mean Horizontal Component of PGA, PGV, PGD and 5% Damped Linear Elastic Response Spectra for Periods Ranging from 0.01 to 10 s. Earthquake Spectra. 2008;24:139-171. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.2857546
- Baker J. Conditional Mean Spectrum: Tool for Ground-Motion Selection. Journal of Structural Engineering. 2011;137(6):322-331. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000215