- Volume 17 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Fragility Assessment of Damaged Piloti-Type RC Building With/Without BRB Under Successive Earthquakes
연속 지진에 의하여 손상된 필로티 RC 건축물의 BRB 보강 전/후의 취약성 평가
- Shin, Jiuk (Building Research Dept., Korea Institute of Construction Technology) ;
- Kim, JunHee (Dept. of Architectural Engineering, Yonsei Univ.) ;
- Lee, Kihak (Dept. of Architectural Engineering, Sejong Univ.)
- Received : 2012.10.19
- Accepted : 2013.03.27
- Published : 2013.05.02
This paper presents the seismic evaluation and prediction of a damaged piloti-type Reinforced Concrete (RC) building before and after post-retrofitting under successive earthquakes. For considering realistic successive earthquakes, the past records measured at the same station were combined. In this study, the damaged RC building due to the first earthquake was retrofitted with a buckling-restrained brace (BRB) before the second earthquake occurred. Nonlinear Time History Analysis (NTHA) was performed under the scaled intensity of the successive ground motions. Based on the extensive structural response data obtained form from the NTHA, the fragility relationships between the ground shaking intensity and the probability of reaching a pre-determined limit state was were derived. In addition, The the fragility curves of the pre-damaged building without and with the BRBs were employed to evaluate the effect of the successive earthquakes and the post-retrofit effect. Through the seismic assessment subjected to the successive records, it was observed that the seismic performance of the pre-damaged building was significantly affected by the severity of the damage from the first earthquake damages and the hysteresis behavior of the retrofit element.
Damaged Piloti-Type Reinforced Concrete Building;Successive Earthquakes;Buckling-Restrained Brace;Post-Retrofit;Fragility Analysis
Supported by : 한국건설교통기술평가원, 한국연구재단
- FEMA, Evaluation of Earthquake Damaged Concrete and Masonry Wall Buildings : Technical Resources, Report No. FEMA-307 Washington, DC. c1998.
- Izzuddin BA, Elnashai AS. Adaptive Space Frame Analysis Part I: A Plastic Hinge Approach. Proceeding of Institution of Civil Engineers Structures & Buildings. 1993;99:303-316. https://doi.org/10.1680/istbu.1993.24352
- Izzuddin BA, Elnashai AS. Adaptive Space Frame Analysis Part II: A Distributed Plasticity Approach. Proceeding of Institution of Civil Engineers Structures & Buildings. 1993;99:317-326. https://doi.org/10.1680/istbu.1993.24353
- Elnashai AS, Papanikolaou V, Lee DH. ZeusNL-A Program for Inelastic Dynamic Analysis of Structures. MAE Center, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA. c2001.
- Kim J, Park J, Lee K, Lee J. Seismic Performance of Buckling Restrained Braces using Steel Plates and Channel Sections. Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea. 2007;23(10):19-26.
- Watanabe A, Hitomoi Y, Saeki E, Wada A, Fujimoto M. Properties of Braced Encased in Buckling-Restrained Concrete and Steel Tube. Proc. 9th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Tokyo/Kyoto, Japan. 1988;4:719-724.
- Shin J, Lee K, Jeong SH. Seismic Performance Evaluation and Retrofit of A 2-story Steel Building using a Fragility Contour Method. Journal of the Earthquake Engineering Society of Korea. 2012;16 (2):47-60. https://doi.org/10.5000/EESK.2012.16.2.047
- Jeong SH, Elanashai AS. Analytical Assessment of An Irregular RC Frame for Full-Scale 3D Pseudo-Dynamic Testing Part 1: Analytical Model Verification. Journal of Earthquake Engineering. 2005;9(1): 95-128.
- Park HG, Eom TS. Truss Model for Nonlinear Analysis of RC Members Subjected to Cyclic Loading, Journal of Structural Engineering. 2007;133(10):1351-1363. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2007)133:10(1351)
- Kim DK, Eom TS, Lim YJ, Lee HS, Park HG. Macro Model for Nonlinear Analysis of Reinforced Concrete Walls. Journal of the Korea Concrete Institute. 2011;23(5):569-579. https://doi.org/10.4334/JKCI.2011.23.5.569
- ASCE, Seismic Rehabilitation of Existing Buildings, ASCE/SEI 41-06. American Society of Civil Engineers. c2007.
- FEMA. Pre-Standard and Commentary for the Seismic Rehabilitation of Buildings, Rep. No. FEMA 356, Federal Emergency Management Agency. Washington(DC). c2000.
- Sucuoglu H. Engineering Characteristics of the Near-Field Strong Motions from the 1999 Kocaeli and Duzce Earthquake in Turkey. Journal of Seismology. 2002;6(3):347-355. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1020083308693
- Uckan E, Oven VA, Erdik M. A Study of the Response of the Mustafa Inan Viaduct to the Kocaeli Earthquake. Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America. 2002 February;92(1):483-498. https://doi.org/10.1785/0120000835
- Aschheim M, Black E. Effects of Prior Earthquake Damage on Response of Simple Stiffness-Degrading Structures. Earthq. Spectra. 1999;15(1):1-23. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1586026
- Amadio C, Fragiacomo M, Macorini L. The Effects of Repeated Earthquake Ground Motions on the Non-Linear Response of SDOF Systems. Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics. 2003; 32(2):291-308. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.225
- Lee K, Foutch DA. Performance Evaluation of Damaged Steel Frame Buildings Subjected to Seismic Loads. Journal of Structural Engineering (ASCE). 2004 April;130(4):588-599. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2004)130:4(588)
- Li Q, Ellingwood BR. Performance Evaluation and Damage Assessment of Steel Frame Buildings under Main Shock-After Shock Earthquake Sequences. Earthquake Engng Struct. Dyn. 2007;36:405-427. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.667
- Black C, Makris N, Aiken I. Component Testing, Stability Analysis and Characterization of Buckling Restrained Unbonded Braces, Report No. PEER-2002/08: PEERC. University of California at Berkeley, California. c2002.
- Maheri MR, Akbari R. Seismic Behaviour Factor, R, for Steel X-Braced and Knee-Braced RC Buildings. Engineering Structures, 2003;25(12):1505-1513. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(03)00117-2
- Shin J, Lee K, Jeong SH, Lee HS, Kim J. Experimental and Analytical Studies on Buckling-Restrained Knee Bracing Systems with Channel Sections, International Journal of Steel Structures. 2012;12(1):93-106. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13296-012-1009-Y
- Lee DH, Kim D, Lee K. Analytical Approach for the Earthquake Performance Evaluation of Repaired/Retrofitted RC Bridge Piers Using Time-Dependent Element. Nonlinear dynamics. 2009;56(4): 463-482. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11071-008-9440-5
- Lee DH, Park J, Lee K, Kim BH. Nonlinear Seismic Assessment for the Post-Repair Response of RC Bridge Piers, Composites. Part B, Engineering. 2011;42(5):1318-1329. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2010.12.023
- Wen YK, Ellingwood BR, Bracci J. Fragility Function Framework for Consequence-Based Engineering, MAE Report 04-04. Mid-America Earthquake Center, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. c2004.
- Serdar Kircil M, Polat Z. Fragility Analysis of Mid-Rise R/C Frame Buildings. Engineering Structures. 2006;28(9):1335-1345. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2006.01.004
- Jeong SH, Elnashai AS. Fragility Relationships for Torsionally- Imbalanced Buildings using Three-Dimensional Damage Characterization, Engineering Structures. 2007;29(9):2172-2182. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2006.11.010
- Pacific Earthquake Engineering Research Center. PEER Strong Motion Database. Ava:lable from:http://peer.berkeley.edu/smcat.
- FEMA. Evaluation of Earthquake Damaged Concrete and Masonry Wall Buildings: Basic Procedure Manual, Report No. FEMA-306 Washington, DC. c1998.
- Seismic Strengthening and Performance Evaluation of Damaged R/C Buildings Strengthened with Glass Fiber Sheet and Carbon Fiber X-Brace System vol.25, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4334/JKCI.2013.25.6.667