- Volume 26 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Variation of Meat Quality Parameters Due to Conformation and Fat Class in Limousin Bulls Slaughtered at 25 to 27 Months of Age
- Guzek, Dominika (Division of Engineering in Nutrition, Faculty of Human Nutrition and Consumer Sciences, Warsaw University of Life Sciences (WULS - SGGW)) ;
- Glabska, Dominika (Department of Dietetics, Faculty of Human Nutrition and Consumer Sciences, Warsaw University of Life Sciences (WULS - SGGW)) ;
- Pogorzelski, Grzegorz (Division of Engineering in Nutrition, Faculty of Human Nutrition and Consumer Sciences, Warsaw University of Life Sciences (WULS - SGGW)) ;
- Kozan, Karolina (Division of Engineering in Nutrition, Faculty of Human Nutrition and Consumer Sciences, Warsaw University of Life Sciences (WULS - SGGW)) ;
- Pietras, Jacek (Division of Engineering in Nutrition, Faculty of Human Nutrition and Consumer Sciences, Warsaw University of Life Sciences (WULS - SGGW)) ;
- Konarska, Malgorzata (Division of Engineering in Nutrition, Faculty of Human Nutrition and Consumer Sciences, Warsaw University of Life Sciences (WULS - SGGW)) ;
- Sakowska, Anna (Division of Engineering in Nutrition, Faculty of Human Nutrition and Consumer Sciences, Warsaw University of Life Sciences (WULS - SGGW)) ;
- Glabski, Krzysztof (Department of Microbial Biochemistry, Institute of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Polish Academy of Sciences (PAS - PAN)) ;
- Pogorzelska, Ewelina (Division of Engineering in Nutrition, Faculty of Human Nutrition and Consumer Sciences, Warsaw University of Life Sciences (WULS - SGGW)) ;
- Barszczewski, Jerzy (Grasslands Division, Institute of Technology and Life Sciences in Falenty (ITLS - ITP)) ;
- Wierzbicka, Agnieszka (Division of Engineering in Nutrition, Faculty of Human Nutrition and Consumer Sciences, Warsaw University of Life Sciences (WULS - SGGW))
- Received : 2012.09.21
- Accepted : 2012.12.02
- Published : 2013.05.01
The aim of the present study was to determine the influence of age of animal, hot carcass weight, pH, conformation and fat class on basic beef quality attributes (tenderness, sarcomere length, basic chemical composition, marbling and colour) in a group of purebred animals. The object of the study was beef of Limousin bulls (25 to 27 months, hot carcass weight -
Beef Quality;Conformation;Fat Class;Chemical Composition;Tenderness;Sarcomere
- Pabiou, T., W. F. Fikse, A. R. Cromie, M. G. Keane, A. Nasholm and D. P. Berry. 2011. Use of digital images to predict carcass cut yields in cattle. Livest. Sci. 137:130-140. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2010.10.012
- Park, G. B., S. S. Moon, Y. D. Ko, J. K. Ha, H. H. Chang and S. T. Joo. 2002. Influence of slaughter weight and sex on yield and quality grades of Hanwoo (Korean native cattle) carcasses. J. Anim. Sci. 80:129-136.
- Prevolnik, M., M. Candek-Potokar and D. Skorjanc. 2004. Ability of NIR spectroscopy to predict meat chemical composition and quality - a review. Czech J. Anim. Sci. 49:500-510.
- Priolo, A., D. Micol and J. Agabriel. 2001. Effects of grass feeding systems on ruminant meat colour and flavour. A review. Anim. Res. INRA. 50:185-200. https://doi.org/10.1051/animres:2001125
- Scollan N., J. F. Hocquette, K. Nuernberg, D. Dannenberger, I. Richardson and A. Moloney. 2006. Innovations in beef production systems that enhance the nutritional and health value of beef lipids and their relationship with meat quality. Meat Sci. 74:17-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2006.05.002
- Shackelford, S. D., M. Koohmaraie and T. L. Wheeler. 1995. Effects of slaughter age on meat tenderness and USDA carcass maturity scores of beef females. J. Anim. Sci. 73:3304-3309.
- Weglarz, A. 2010. Meat quality defined based on pH and colour depending on cattle category and slaughter season. Czech J. Anim. Sci. 55:548-556.
- Wheeler, T. L., S. D. Shackelford and M. Koohmaraie. 2000. Variation in proteolysis, sarcomere length, collagen content, and tenderness among major pork muscles. J. Anim. Sci. 78:958.
- Wulf, D. M., J. B. Morgan, J. D. Tatum and G. C. Smith. 1996. Effects of animal age, marbling score, calpastatin activity, subprimal cut, calcium injection, and degree of doneness on the palatability of steaks from limousin steers. J. Anim. Sci. 74:569-576.
- Xie, X., Q. Meng, Z. Cui and L. Ren. 2012. Effect of cattle breed on meat quality, muscle fiber characteristics, lipid oxidation and fatty acids in China. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 25:824-831. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2011.11462
- Yang, X. J., E. Albrecht, K. Ender, R. Q. Zhao and J. Wegner. 2006. Computer image analysis of intramuscular adipocytes and marbling in the longissimus muscle of cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 84:3251-3258. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2006-187
- Guzek, D., D. Glabska, K. Glabski, P. Plewa, R. Plewa and A. Wierzbicka. 2012. Comparison of sarcomere length for two types of meat from animal family suidae - analysis of measurements carried out by microscopic technique. Adv. Sci. Technol. Res. J. 6:13-17. https://doi.org/10.5604/20804075.1024710
- Gwartney, B. L., C. R. Calkins, R. J. Rasby, R. A. Stock, B. A. Vieselmeyer and J. A. Gosey. 1996. Use of expected progeny differences for marbling in beef: II. Carcass and palatability. J. Anim. Sci. 74:1014-1022.
- Hocquette, J. F., R. I. Richardson, S. Prache, F. Medale, G. Duffy and N. D. Scollan. 2005. The future trends for research on quality and safety of animal products. Ital. J. Anim. Sci. 4:49-72.
- Hollo, G., J. Tozser, I. Hol, J. Csapo and E. Szucs. 2001b. Effect of breed, live weight on the fatty acid, amino acid content and on the biological value of beef. Act. Aliment. 30:311-322.
- Hollo, G., J. Csapo, E. Szucs, J. Tozser, I. Repa and I. Hollo. 2001. Influence of breed, slaughter weight and gender on chemical composition of beef. Part 2. Fatty acid composition of fat in rib samples. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 14:1719-1723. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2001.1719
- Hunt, M. C., J. C. Acton, R. C. Benedict, C. R. Calkins, D. P. Cornforth, L. E. Jeremiah, D. G., C. P. Olson Salm, J. W. Savell and S. D. Shivas. 1991. Guidelines for meat color evaluation. AMSA Committee on Guidelines for Meat Color Evaluation. National Livestock and Meat Board. Chicago, Illinois.
- Indurain, G., T. R. Carr, M. V. Goni, K. Insausti and M. J. Beriain. 2009. The relationship of carcass measurements to carcass composition and intramuscular fat in Spanish beef. Meat Sci. 82:155-161. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2009.01.005
- Janz, J. A. M., J. L. Aalhus, W. M. Robertson, M. E. R. Dugan, I. L. Larsen and S. Landry. 2004. The effects of modified carcass chilling on beef carcass grade and quality of several muscles. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 84:377-384. https://doi.org/10.4141/A03-067
- Jones, S. D. M., W. M. Robertson and S. Talbot. 1992. Marbling standards for beef and pork. Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada Pub. No. 1879/E, Ottawa, ON.
- Maher, S. C., A. M. Mullen, A. P. Moloney, W. Reville, D. J. Buckley, J. P. Kerry and D. J. Troy. 2005. Ultrastructural variation in beef M. longissimus dorsi as an explanation of the variation in beef tenderness. J. Food Sci. 70:579-584.
- Muchenjea , V., A. Hugo, K. Dzama, M. Chimonyo, P. E. Strydom and J. G. Raats. 2009. Cholesterol levels and fatty acid profiles of beef from three cattle breeds raised on natural pasture. J. Food Comp. Anal. 22:354-358. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfca.2008.10.019
- Nogalski, Z. and J. Pogorzelska. 2001. Growth rate and slaughter value of heifers with different types of conformation. Natural Sci. 9:277-284.
- Nuernberg, K., D. Dannenberger, G. Nuernberg, K. Ender, J. Voigt, N. D. Scollan, J. D. Wood, G. R. Nute and R. I. Richardson. 2005. Effect of a grass-based and a concentrate feeding system on meat quality characteristics and fatty acid composition of longissimus muscle in different cattle breeds. Livest. Prod. Sci. 94:137-147. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livprodsci.2004.11.036
- AMSA. 2012. AMSA Meat Color Measurement Guidelines. American Meat Science Association Champaign, Illinois USA. 0-124.
- Cross, H. R., R. L. West and T. R. Dutson. 1981. Comparison of methods for measuring sarcomere length in beef semitendinosus muscle. Meat Sci. 5:261-266. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(81)90016-4
- du Plessis, I. and L. C. Hoffman. 2007. Effect of slaughter age and breed on the carcass traits and meat quality of beef steers finished on natural pastures in the arid subtropics of South Africa. S. Afr. J. Anim. Sci. 37:143-153.
- Dymnicka, M., J. Klupczynski, A. Lozicki, J. Micinski and J. Strzetelski. 2004. Polyunsaturated fatty acids in M. longissimus thoracis of fattening bulls fed silage of grass or maize. J. Anim. Feed Sci. 13 (Suppl. 2):101-104.
- Analysis of the factors creating consumer attributes of roasted beef steaks vol.86, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.12278
- Activities of some stress enzymes as indicators of slaughter cattle welfare and their relationship with physico-chemical characteristics of beef vol.11, pp.09, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1017/S1751731117000222
- Evaluation of marbling traits by X-ray computed tomography in Hungarian Simmental bulls vol.8, pp.s1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1017/S2040470017001704
- Review: The variability of the eating quality of beef can be reduced by predicting consumer satisfaction vol.12, pp.11, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1017/S1751731118000605