- Volume 26 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
The Metabolizable Energy Value, Standardized Ileal Digestibility of Amino Acids in Soybean Meal, Soy Protein Concentrate and Fermented Soybean Meal, and the Application of These Products in Early-weaned Piglets
- Zhang, H.Y. ;
- Yi, J.Q. ;
- Piao, X.S. ;
- Li, P.F. ;
- Zeng, Z.K. ;
- Wang, D. ;
- Liu, L. ;
- Wang, G.Q. ;
- Han, X.
- Received : 2012.08.09
- Accepted : 2012.11.01
- Published : 2013.05.01
Three experiments were conducted to evaluate the metabolizable energy (ME) value, standardized ileal digestibility (SID) of amino acids (AA) of soybean meal (SBM), soy protein concentrate (SPC) and fermented soybean meal (FSBM), and the application of these products in early-weaned piglets. In Exp. 1, four barrows with initial body weight (BW) of
Metabolizable Energy;Standardized Ileal Digestibility;Soybean Meal;Soy Protein Concentrate;Fermented Soybean Meal;Early-weaned Piglets
- Song, Y. S., V. G. Perez, J. E. Pettigrew, C. Martinez-Villaluenga and E. Gonzalez de Mejia. 2010. Fermentation of soybean meal and its inclusion in diets for newly weaned pigs reduced diarrhea and measures of immunoreactivity in the plasma. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 159:41-49. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2010.04.011
- Stein, H. H., C. F. Shipley and R. A. Easter. 1998. Technical note: A technique for inserting a T-cannula into the distal ileum of pregnant sows. J. Anim. Sci. 76:1433-1436.
- Sun, P., D. F. Li, Z. J. Li, B. Dong and F. L. Wang. 2008. Effects of glycinin on IgE-mediated increase of mast cell numbers and histamine release in the small intestine. J. Nutr. Biochem. 19:627-633. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnutbio.2007.08.007
- Urbaityte, R., R., Mosenthin, M. Eklund, H. Piepho, N. Sauer and M. Rademacher. 2009. Standardised ileal crude protein and amino acid digestibilities in protein supplements for piglets. Arch. Anim. Nutr. 63:356-378. https://doi.org/10.1080/17450390903052631
- Williams, C. H., D. J. David and O. Iismaa. 1962. The determination of chromic oxide in faeces sample y atomic absorption spectrophotometry. J. Agric. Sci. 59:381-385. https://doi.org/10.1017/S002185960001546X
- Woodworth, J. C., M. D. Tokach, R. D. Goodband, J. L. Nelssen, P. R. O'Quinn, D. A. Knabe and N. W. Said. 2001. Apparent ileal digestibility of amino acids and the digestible and metabolizable energy content of dry extruded-expelled soybean meal and its effects on growth performance of pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 79:1280-1287.
- Yang, Y. X., Y. G. Kim, J. D. Lohakare, J. H. Yun, J. K. Lee, M. S. Kwon, J. I. Park, J. Y. Choi and B. J. Chae. 2007. Comparative efficacy of different soy protein sources on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, and intestinal morphology in weaned pigs. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 20:775-783. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2007.775
You, J. M., D. F. Li, S. Y. Qiao, Z. R. Wang, P. L. He, D. Y. Ou and B. Dong. 2008. Development of a monoclonal antibody-based competitive ELISA for detection of
$\beta$-conglycinin, an allergen from soybean. Food Chem. 106:352-360. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2007.05.040
- Kwon, D. Y., W. James, III Daily, H. J. Kim and S. Park. 2010. Anti-diabetic effects of fermented soybean products on type 2 diabetes. Nutr. Res. 30:1-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nutres.2009.11.004
- Lenehan, N. A., J. M. DeRouchey, R. D. Goodband, M. D. Tokach, S. S. Dritz, J. L. Nelssen, C. N. Groesbeck and K. R. Lawrence. 2007. Evaluation of soy protein concentrates in nursery pig diets. J. Anim. Sci. 85:3013-3021. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2007-0071
- Li, D. F., J. L. Nelssen, P. G. Reddy, F. Blecha, J. D. Hancock, G. L. Allee, R. D. Goodband and R. D. Klemm. 1990. Transient hypersensitivity to soybean meal in the early-weaned pig. J. Anim. Sci. 68:1790-1799.
- Li, D. F., J. L. Nelssen, P. G. Reddy, F. Blecha, R. D. Klemm, D. W. Giesting, J. D. Hancock, G. L. Allee and R. D. Goodband. 1991. Measuring suitability of soybean products for early-weaned pigs with immunological criteria. J. Anim. Sci. 69:3299-3307.
- Ma, X., P. Sun, P. L. He, P. F. Han, J. J. Wang, S. Y. Qiao and D. F. Li. 2010. Development of monoclonal antibodies and a competitive ELISA detection method for glycinin, an allergen in soybean. Food Chem. 121:546-551. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2009.12.045
- Min, B. J., J. W. Hong, O. S. Kwon, W. B. Lee, Y. C. Kim, I. H. Kim, W. T. Cho and J. H. Kim. 2004. The effect of feeding processed soy protein on the growth performance and apparent ileal digestibility in weanling pigs. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 17:1271-1276. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2004.1271
- NRC. 1998. Nutrient requirements of swine, 10th ed. National Academy Press, Washington, DC, USA.
- Petersen, G. I. and H. H. Stein. 2006. Novel procedure for estimating endogenous losses and measuring apparent and true digestibility of phosphorus by growing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 84:2126-2132. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2005-479
- Sarkar, P. K. and J. P. Tamang. 1995. Changes in the microbial profile and proximate composition during natural and controlled fermentations of soybeans to produce kinema. Food Chem. 12:317-325.
- SAS. 1999. SAS user's guide: Statistics (Version 8.01). SAS Inst. Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- Schneider, J. D., M. D. Tokach, S. S. Dritz, J. L. Nelssen, J. M. DeRouchey and R. D. Goodband. 2010. Determining the effect of lysine:calorie ratio on growth performance of ten- to twenty-kilogram of body weight nursery pigs of two different genotypes. J. Anim. Sci. 88:137-146. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2008-1204
- Sissons, J. W. and R. H. Smith. 1976. The effect of different diets including those containing soybean products on digesta movement and water and nitrogen absorption in the small intestine of the pre-ruminant calf. Br. J. Nutr. 36:421-438. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19760097
- Sohn, K. S., C. V. Maxwell, D. S. Buchanan and L. L. Southern. 1994a. Improved soybean protein sources for early-weaned pigs: I. Effects on performance and total tract amino acid digestibility. J. Anim. Sci. 72:622-630.
- Hamerstrand, G. E., L. T. Black and J. D. Glover. 1981. Trypsin inhibitors in soy products: Modification of the standard analytical procedure. Cereal Chem. 58:42-45.
Hao, Y., D. F. Li, X. L. Piao and X. S. Piao. 2010. Forsythia suspensa extract alleviates hypersensitivity induced by soybean
$\beta$-conglycinin in weaned piglets. J. Ethnopharmacol. 128:412-418. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2010.01.035
- Hong, K. J., C. H. Lee and S. W. Kim. 2004. Aspergillus oryzae GB-107 fermentation improves nutritional quality of food soybeans and feed soybean meals. J. Med. Food 7:430-435. https://doi.org/10.1089/jmf.2004.7.430
- Jones, C. K., J. M. DeRouchey, J. L. Nelssen, M. D. Tokach, S. S. Dritz and R. D. Goodband. 2010. Effects of fermented soybean meal and specialty animal protein sources on nursery pig performance. J. Anim. Sci. 88:1725-1732. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2009-2110
- Kiers, J. L., J. C. Meijer, M. J. R. Nout, F. M. Rombouts, M. J. A. Nabuurs and J. van der Meulen. 2003. Effect of fermented soya beans on diarrhoea and feed efficiency in weaned piglets. J. Appl. Microbiol. 95:545-552. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2672.2003.02011.x
- Kilshaw, P. I. and J. W. Sissons. 1979. Gastrointestinal allergy to soybean protein in preruminant calves. Allergenic constituents of soybean products. Res. Vet. Sci. 27:366-371.
- Kim, S. W., R. D. Mateo and F. Ji. 2005. Fermented soybean meal as a protein source in nursery diets replacing dried skim milk. J. Anim. Sci. 83 (Supp.1):116 (Abstract).
- Kim, Y. G. 2005. Effects of feeding fermented soy protein on growth performance, nutrients digestibility, intestinal morphology and immune response in weaned pigs. Ph. D. Thesis, Kangwon National University, Korea.
- Cromwell, G. L. 2000. Utilization of soy products in swine diets. In: Soy in Animal Nutrition (Ed. J. K. Drackley). Fed. Anim. Sci. Soc., Savoy, IL, USA, pp. 258-282.
- Csaky, I. and S. Fekete. 2004. Soybean: Feed quality and safety. Part 2: Pathology of soybean feeding in animals: A review. Acta Vet. Hung. 52:315-326. https://doi.org/10.1556/AVet.52.2004.3.7
- Dunsoford, B. R., D. A. Knabe and W. E. Hacnsly. 1989. Effect of dietary soybean meal on the microscopic anatomy of the small intestine in the early-weaned pig. J. Anim. Sci. 72:1855-1863.
- Feng, J., X. Liu, Z. R. Xu, Y. P. Lu and Y. Y. Li. 2007. Effect of fermented soybean meal on intestinal morphology and digestive enzyme activities in weaned piglets. Dig. Dis. Sci. 52:1845-1850. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10620-006-9705-0
- Friesen, K. G., J. L. Nelssen, R. D. Goodband, K. C. Behnke and L. J. Kats. 1993b. The effect of moist extrusion of soy products on growth performance and nutrient utilization in the early-weaned pig. J. Anim. Sci. 71:2099-2109.
- Gilbert, E. R., E. A. Wong and K. E. Webb Jr. 2008. Peptide absorption and utilization: Implications for animal nutrition and health. J. Anim. Sci. 86:2135-2155. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2007-0826
- Goebel, K. P. and H. H. Stein. 2011. Phosphorus digestibility and energy concentration of enzyme-treated and conventional soybean meal fed to weanling pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 89:764-772. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2010-3253
- Adeola, O. and N. L. Bajjalieh. 1997. Energy concentration of high-oil corn varieties for pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 75:430-436.
- AOAC. 2000. Official methods of analysis, 17th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington. VA, USA.
- AOCS. 1998. Official methods and recommended practices of the AOCS. 5th ed. Am. Oil Chem. Soc., Champaign, IL, USA.
- Baker, K. M. and H. H. Stein. 2009. Amino acid digestibility and concentration of digestible and metabolizable energy in soybean meal produced from high protein or low oligosaccharide varieties of soybeans and fed to growing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 87:2282-2290. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2008-1414
- Cervantes-Pahm, S. K. and H. H. Stein. 2010. Ileal digestibility of amino acids in conventional, fermented, and enzyme-treated soybean meal and in soy protein isolate, fish meal, and casein fed to weanling pig. J. Anim. Sci. 88:2674-2683. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2009-2677
- Chen, C. C., Y. C. Shih, P. W. S. Chiou and B. Yu. 2010. Evaluating nutritional quality of single stage- and two stage-fermented soybean meal. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 23:598-606. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2010.90341
- Cho, J. H., B. J. Min, Y. J. Chen, J. S. Yoo, Q. Wang, J. D. Kim and I. H. Kim. 2007. Evaluation of FSP (fermented soy protein) to replace soybean meal in weaned pigs: Growth performance, blood urea nitrogen and total protein concentrations in serum and nutrient digestibility. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 20:1874-1879. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2007.1874
- Energy and Ileal Digestible Amino Acid Concentrations for Growing Pigs and Performance of Weanling Pigs Fed Fermented or Conventional Soybean Meal vol.27, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2013.13612
- Determination and Prediction of the Amino Acid Digestibility of Sunflower Seed Meals in Growing Pigs vol.28, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.14.0109
- Strain screening for lowering immune activity of β-conglycinin in defatted whole soybean flour through fermentation vol.94, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas2013-152
- Performance, intestinal histomorphometry, and blood parameters of post-weaning piglets receiving different levels of soy protein concentrate in the diet vol.45, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1590/S1806-92902016000600003
- Nutritional value of soy protein concentrate ground to different particle sizes and fed to pigs1 vol.95, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2016.1083