- Volume 26 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Effect of Oral Administration of Intact Casein on Gastrointestinal Hormone Secretion and Pancreatic α-Amylase Activity in Korean Native Steer
- Lee, S.B. (Department of Animal Science, Pusan National University) ;
- Choi, C.W. (Department of Animal Resources, Deagu University) ;
- Jin, Y.C. (Department of Animal Science, College of Animal Science and Veterinary Medicine, Jilin University) ;
- Wang, T. (Department of Animal Science and Technology, College of Animal Bioscience and Technology, Konkuk University) ;
- Lee, K.H. (Department of Animal Science and Technology, College of Animal Bioscience and Technology, Konkuk University) ;
- Ku, M.B. (Department of Animal Science, Pusan National University) ;
- Hwang, J.H. (Department of Animal Science and Technology, College of Animal Bioscience and Technology, Konkuk University) ;
- Kim, K.H. (Department of Nutrition and Physiology, National institute of animal science, RDA) ;
- Vega, R.S.A. (Animal and Dairy Sciences Cluster, College of Agriculture) ;
- Lee, H.G. (Department of Animal Science and Technology, College of Animal Bioscience and Technology, Konkuk University)
- Received : 2012.09.18
- Accepted : 2012.11.15
- Published : 2013.05.01
Three Korean native steers (
Supported by : Rural Development Administration
- Rausch, U., P. Vasiloudes, K. Rudiger and H. F. Kern. 1985. In-vivo stimulation of rat pancreatic acinar cells by infusion of secretin. 1. Changes in enzyme content, pancreatic fine structure and total rate of protein synthesis. Cell Tissue Res. 242:633-639. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00225430
- Relling, A. E. and C. K. Reynolds. 2008. Abomasal infusion of casein, starch and soybean oil differentially affects plasma concentrations of gut peptides and feed intake in lactating dairy cows. Domest. Anim. Endocrinol. 35:35-45. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.domaniend.2008.01.005
- Richards, C. J., A. F. Branco, D. W. Bohnert, G. B. Huntington, M. Macari and D. L. Harmon. 2002. Intestinal starch disappearance increased in steers abomasally infused with starch and protein. J. Anim. Sci. 80:3361-3368.
- Richards, C. J., K. C. Swanson, S. J. Paton, D. L. Harmon and G. B. Huntington. 2003. Pancreatic exocrine secretion in steers infused post-ruminally with casein and corn starch. J. Anim. Sci. 81:1051-1056.
- Sun, Y., P. Wang, H. Zheng and R. G. Smith. 2004. Ghrelin stimulation of growth hormone release and appetite is mediated through the growth hormone secretagogue receptor. PNAS. 101:4679-4684. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0305930101
- Swanson, K. C., J. A. Benson, J. C. Matthews and D. L. Harmone. 2004. Pancreatic exocrine secretion and plasma concentration of some gastrointestinal hormones in response to abomasal infusion of starch hydrolyzate and/or casein. J. Anim. Sci. 82:1781-1787.
Swanson, K. C., J. C. Matthews, C. A. Woods and D. L. Harmon. 2002. Post-ruminal administration of partially hydrolyzed starch and casein influences pancreatic
$\alpha$-amylase expression in calves. J. Nutr. 132:376-381.
- Tachibana, S., T. Onaga, H. Mineo and S. Kato. 1995. Role of endogenous CCK in regulation of interdigestive pancreatic exocrine secretion in sheep (Ovis aries). Comp. Biochem. Physiol. A. Physiol. 112:103-109. https://doi.org/10.1016/0300-9629(95)00083-J
- Taniguchi, K., G. B. Huntington and B. P. Glenn. 1995. Net nutrient flux by visceral tissues of beef steers given abomasal and ruminal infusions of casein and starch. J. Anim. Sci. 73:236-249.
- Than Than, S., H. Zhao, S. Yannaing, T. Ishikawa and H. Kuwayama. 2010. Oxyntomodulin increases the concentrations of insulin and glucose in plasma but does not affect ghrelin secretion in Holstein cattle under normal physiological conditions. Domest. Anim. Endocrinol. 39:163-170. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.domaniend.2010.05.001
- Harmon, D. L. 1992. Dietary influences on carbohydrases and small intestinal starch hydrolysis capacity in ruminants. J. Nutr. 122:203-210.
- Harmon, D. L. and C. C. Taylor. 2005. Factors influencing assimilation of dietary starch in beef and dairy cattle. Proc. Southwest Nutr. Conf. 55-66.
- Hashimoto, N. and H. Hara. 2004. Dietary branched-chain amino acids suppress the expression of pancreatic amylase mRNA in rats. Biosci. Biotechnol. Biochem. 68:1067-1072. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb.68.1067
- Huhtanen, P., P. G. Brotz and L. D. Satter. 1997. Omasal sampling technique for assessing fermentative digestion in the forestomach of dairy cow. J. Anim. Sci. 75:1380-1392.
- Itoh, F. A., K. Tokushi, K. Shiro and H. Koichi. 2006. Effects of ghrelin injection on plasma concentrations of glucose, pancreatic hormones and cortisol in Holstein dairy cattle. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. A. Mol. Integr. Physiol. 143:97-102. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cbpa.2005.11.001
- Langlois, A., T. Corring, J. C. Cuber, A. M. Gueugneau, F. Levenez and J. A. Chayvialle. 1989. Effects of Pancreatic polypeptide on the pancreatic exocrine secretion stimulated by secretin and cholecystokinin in the conscious pig. Regul. Pept. 24:55-65. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-0115(89)90211-5
- Lin, T. M., D. C. Evans, R. E. Chance and G. F. Spray. 1977. Bovine pancreatic polypeptide: action on gastric and pancreatic secretion in dogs. Am. J. Physiol. 232:311-315.
- Li, Y. and C. Owyang. 1993. Vagal afferent pathway mediates physiological action of cholecystokinin on pancreatic enzyme secretion. J. Clin. Invest. 92:418-424. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI116583
- Manso, M. A., J. I. San Roman, I. de Dios, L. J. Garcia and M. A. Lopez. 1989. Effect of secretin on pancreatic juice proteins in caerulein induced acute pancreatitis in the rat. Peptides. 10:255-260. https://doi.org/10.1016/0196-9781(89)90027-2
- Meyer, J. H., L. J. Spingola and M. I. Grossman. 1971. Endogenous cholecystokinin potentiates exogenous secretin on pancreas of dog. Am. J. Physiol. 221:742-747.
- National Institute of Animal Science (NIAS). 2007. Korean Feeding Standard for Hanwoo. RDA, Suwon.
- Nishi, T., H. Hara and T. Kasai. 1998. Guanidinated casein hydrolysate stimulates pancreatic secretagogue release by direct action to the intestine in rats. Proc. Soc. Exp. Biol. Med. 218:357-364. https://doi.org/10.3181/00379727-218-44304
- Choi, C. W., A. Vanhatalo, S. Ahvenjarvi and P. Huhtanen. 2002. Effects of several protein supplements on flow of soluble non-ammonia nitrogen from the forestomach and milk production in dairy cows. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 102:15-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(02)00251-1
- Choi, C. W., K. H. Kim, S. S. Chang and N. J. Choi. 2012. Soluble non-ammonia nitrogen in ruminal and omasal digesta of Korean native steers supplemented with soluble proteins. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 25:1269-1275. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2012.12318
- Cordier-Bussat, M., C. Bernard, S. Haouche, C. Roche, J. Abello, J. A. Chayvialle and J. C. Cuber. 1997. Peptones stimulate cholecystokinin secretion and gene transcription in the intestinal cell line STC-1. Endocrinology 138:1137-1144. https://doi.org/10.1210/en.138.3.1137
- Croom, W. J. Jr., L. S. Bull and I. L. Taylor. 1992. Regulation of pancreatic exocrine secretion in ruminants: A review. J. Nutr. 122:191-202.
- Eastwood, C., K. Maubach, A. J. Kirkup and D. Grundy. 1998. The role of endogenous cholecystokinin in the sensory transduction of luminal nutrient signals in the rat jejunum. Neurosci. Lett. 254:145-148. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3940(98)00666-1
- Folsch, U. R., A. Oldendorp, P. G. Lankish and W. Creutzfeldt. 1984. European Journal of Clinical Investigation. 14(Suppl): 45.
- Go, V. L., A. F. Hofmann and W. H. Summerskill. 1970. Pancreozymin bioassay in man based on pancreatic enzyme secretion: potency of specific amino acids and other digestive products. J. Clin. Invest. 49:1558-1564. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI106373
- Greenberg, G. R., R. F. McCloy, V. S. Chadwick, T. E. Adrian, J. H. Baron and S. R. Bloom. 1979. Effect of bovine pancreatic polypeptide on basal pancreatic and biliary out puts in man. Dig. Dis. Sci. 24:11-14. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01297231
- Hara, H., S. Ohyama and T. Hira. 2000. Luminal dietary protein, not amino acids, induces pancreatic protease via CCK in pancreaticobiliary-diverted rats. Am. J. Physiol. 278:937-945.
- Chance, R. E., M. Gieszkowski, J. Jaworek, S. J. Konturek, J. Swierczek and J. Tasler. 1981. Effect of pancreatic polypeptide and its C-terminal hexapeptide on meal and secredn induced pancreatic accretion in dogs. J. Physiol. 314:1-9. https://doi.org/10.1113/jphysiol.1981.sp013685