- Volume 26 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Effect of Water Hyacinth (Eichhornia Crassipes) Silage on Intake and Nutrient Digestibility in Cattle Fed Rice Straw and Cottonseed Cake
- Tham, Ho Thanh (Department of Animal Sciences, Can Tho University) ;
- Uden, Peter (Department of Animal Nutrition and Management, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Kungsangen Research Centre)
- Received : 2012.09.14
- Accepted : 2012.11.18
- Published : 2013.05.01
Four crossbred Sindhi heifers with an average body weight (BW) of 135 kg and a mean age of 17 months were used to investigate the effect of feeding different combinations of rice straw and ensiled water hyacinth (EWH) supplemented with a source of protein in the form of cottonseed cake (CSC) on intake and digestibility. Four treatments consisting of graded levels of EWH were arranged in a
Cottonseed Cake;Digestibility;Intake;Rice Straw;Water Hyacinth Silage
- Parsons, W. T. and E. G. Cuthbertson. 2001. Noxious Weeds of Autralia, 2nd edn. CSIRO Publishing.
- Robertson, J. B. and P. J. Van Soest. 1981. The detergent system of analysis and its application to human foods. In: The Analysis of Dietary Fibre in Food (Ed. W. P. T. James and O. Theander), Marcel Dekker Inc., New York, USA, 123-158.
- Silverstein, R. A., Y. Chen, R. R. Sharma-Shivappa, M. D. Boyette and J. Osborne. 2007. A comparison of chemical pretreatment methods for improving saccharification of cotton stalks. Bioresour. Technol. 98:3000-3011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2006.10.022
- Tham, H. T., N. V. Man and P. Uden. 2012. Biomass yield and nutritive value of water hyacinth (Eichhornia crassipes) grown in two habitats as affected by cut and cutting interval. Grassland Sci. (In press).
- Thu, N. V. 2011. Effects of water hyacinth (Eichhornia crassipes) in local cattle diets on nutrient utilization, rumen parameters and microbial protein synthesis. In: SAADC 2011 strategies and challenges for sustainable animal agriculture-crop systems, Volume III: full papers. Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on sustainable animal agriculture for developing countries, Nakhon Ratchasima, Thailand, 26-29 July, 2011, pp. 422-426.
- Thu, N. V. and P. Uden. 2001. Effect of urea-molasses cake supplementation of swamp buffaloes fed rice straw or grasses on rumen environment, feed degradation and intake. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 14:631-639. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2001.631
- Van Soest, P. J. 1981. Limiting factors in plant residues of low biodegradability. Agric. Environ. 6:135-143. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-1131(81)90005-9
- Van Soest, P. J. 1994. Nutritional ecology of the ruminant, 2nd ed. Cornell University Press, Ithaca, New York.
- Van Soest, P. J. 2006. Rice straw, the role of silica and treatments to improve quality. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 130:137-171. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2006.01.023
- Van Soest, P. J., J. B. Robertson and B. A. Lewis. 1991. Methods for dietary fibre, neutral detergent fibre and non-starch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3583-3597. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- Virabalin, R., B. Kositsup and H. Punnapayak. 1993. Leaf protein concentrate from water hyacinth. J. Aquat. Plant Manage. 31:207-209.
- Vu, D. D. 2007. Use of urea molasses multinutrient blocks for improving cattle productivity in Viet Nam. In: Feed supplementation blocks: Urea-molasses multinutrient blocks: Simple and effective feed supplement technology for ruminant agriculture (Ed. H. P. S. Makkar, M. Sanchez and A. W. Speedy). Rome, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, pp. 137-148.
- Wanapat, M. and V. Chanthakhoun. 2011. Development of feed resources for the sustainable livestock production in the tropics. In: SAADC 2011 strategies and challenges for sustainable animal agriculture-crop systems, Volume I: Invited papers. Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on sustainable animal agriculture for developing countries, Nakhon Ratchasima, Thailand, 26-29 July, 2011, pp. 11-20.
- Hira, A. K., M. Y. Ali, M. Chakraborty, M. A. Islam and M. R. Zaman. 2002. Use of water-hyacinth leaves (Eichhorina crassipes) replacing Dhal grass (Hymenachne pseudointerrupta) in the diet of goat. Pakistan J. Biol. Sci. 5:218-220. https://doi.org/10.3923/pjbs.2002.218.220
- Inderjit. 2005. Invasive Plants: Ecological and agricultural aspects. Birkhauser Verlag, Basel, Switzerland.
- Islam, S., M. J. Khan and M. N. Islam. 2009. Effect of feeding wilted water hyacinth (Eichhornia crassipes) on the performance of growing bull cattle. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 79:494-497.
- Kearl, L. C. 1982. Nutrient requirements of ruminants in developing countries. International Feedstuffs Institute, Utah Agricultural Experiment Station, Utah State University, Logan, Utah 84322, USA, pp. 71-88.
- Kellems, R. O. and D. C. Church. 2003. Livestock Feeds and Feeding, 5th ed., Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, New Jersey, USA.
- Kibria, S. S., D. B. Roxas and S. K. Ranjhan. 1990. Ruminant feed based on water-hyacinth: short-term effect on the growth of goats. Indones. J. Trop. Agric. 2:51-53.
- Kushwaha, S. P. S. 2012. Remote sensing of invasive alien plant species. In: Invasive Alien Plants: An Ecological Appraisal for the Indian Subcontinent (Ed. J. R. Bhatt, J. S. Singh, S. P. Singh, R. S. Tripathi and R. K. Kohli). CABI International, United Kingdom, 131-138.
- Lindsey, K. and H.-M. Hirt. 1999. Use water hyacinth. A Practical Handbook of Uses for the Water Hyacinth from Across The World. Marianum Press, Kisubi, Uganda.
- Ly, L. V. 1995. Ruminant production in Vietnam and development of forage in smallholder farm. In: Enhancing Sustainable Livestock-crop Production in Smallholder Farming Systems. Proceedings of the Fourth Meeting of Forage Regional Working Group on Grazing and Feed Resources of Southeast Asia, Nha Trang, Vietnam, 20-24 March 1995. pp. 57-62.
- Magalhaes, K. A., S. C. Valadares Filho and E. Detmann, et al. 2010. Evaluation of indirect methods to estimate the nutritional value of tropical feeds for ruminants. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 155:44-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2009.10.004
- McDonald, P., R. A. Edwards, J. F. D. Greenhalgh, C. A. Morgan, L. A. Sinclair and R. G. Wilkinson. 2011. Animal Nutrition. 7th edn. Pearson, Harlow, England.
- Minitab Inc. 2010. Minitab statistical software, version 16.1.0. State College, Pennsylvania, USA.
- NIAH. 2003. The vietnam national country report on animal genetic resources. National Institute of Animal Husbandry, Ha Noi, Vietnam.
- Nin, A., M. L. Lapar and S. Ehui. 2003. Globalization, trade liberalization and poverty alleviation in Southeast Asia: the case of the livestock sector in Vietnam. In: The 6th annual conference on global economic analysis, June 12-14, 2003, Scheveningen, The Hague, The Netherlands. pp. 1-38.
- Parashar, S. K., N. K. Rajora and L. S. Jain. 1999. Utilization of water hyacinth (Eichhornia crassipes) by growing crossbred calves. Indian J. Dairy Sci. 52:320-323.
- AOAC. 1990. Official methods of analysis (15th ed.). Association of Official Analytical Chemists Inc., Virginia, USA.
- Baldwin, J. A., J. F. Hentges and L. O. Bagnall. 1974. Preservation and cattle acceptability of water hyacinth silage. Hyacinth Control J. 12:79-81.
- Baldwin, J. A., J. F. Hentges, L. O. Bagnall and R. L. Shirley. 1975. Comparison of pangolagrass and water hyacinth silages as diets for sheep. J. Anim. Sci. 40:968-971.
- Boyd, C. E. 1968. Fresh-water plants: a potential source of protein. Econ. Bot. 22:359-368. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02908132
- Boyd, C. E. 1970. Vascular aquatic plants for mineral nutrient removal from polluted waters. Econ. Bot. 24:95-103. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02860642
- Chinh, B. V. and L. V. Ly. 2001. Identification of some levels of urea applied for treatment of rice straw using as feed for dairy and growing cattle. In: Proceeding on improved utilization of by-products for animal feeding in Vietnam, 28-30 March, 2001, pp. 20-26.
- Devendra, C. 1985. Non-conventional Feed Resources in Asia and the Pacific, 2nd edn., FAO Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Devendra, C., C. Sevilla and D. Pezo. 2001. Food-feed systems in Asia - Review. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 14:733-745. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2001.733
- Doyle, P. T., C. Devendra and G. R. Pearce. 1986. Rice straw as a feed for ruminants. International Development Program of Australian Universities and Colleges Limited (IDP).
- Abdelhamid, A. M. and A. A. Gabr. 1991. Evaluation of water hyacinth as a feed for ruminants. Arch. Anim. Nutr. 41:745-756.
- Abou-Raya, A. K., M. K. Hathout, Y. L. El-Talty and A. M. Abdel-Khabir. 1980. Utilization of water hyacinth as animal feed: II. Evaluation of wilted shoots in metabolism trials with sheep with reference to N, Ca, Na and K balances. Agric. Res. Rev. 58:49-60.
- Dulphy, J. P. and C. Demarquilly. 1994. The regulation and prediction of feed intake in ruminants in relation to feed characteristics. Livest. Prod. Sci. 39:1-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/0301-6226(94)90147-3
- El-Serafy, A. M., M. Shoukry, S. Mansour, H. S. Soliman, H. M. Aly and M. A. El-Ashry. 1989. A new potential roughage source for ruminants in Egypt: Processing and utilization of water hyacinth as hay or silage. In: Ruminant production in the dry subtropics: constraints and potentials. Proceedings of the International Symposium on the Constraints and Possibilities of Ruminant Production in the Dry Subtropics (MOA of Egypt, ESAP, EAAP, FAO, ICAMAS, WAAP), Cairo, Egypt, 5-7 November 1988. pp. 153-155.
- Forbes, J. M. 2007. Voluntary Food Intake and Diet Selection in Farm Animals, 2nd ed. CABI Publishing, Wallingford, Oxfordshire, UK.
- Gopal, B. 1987. Water Hyacinth. Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, p. 471.
- Gopal, B. and U. Goel. 1993. Competition and allelopathy in aquatic plant communities. Bot. Rev. 59:155-210. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02856599
- Effect of water hyacinth (Eichhornia crassipes) hay inclusion in the diets of sheep vol.48, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-015-0988-z
- ) in aquatic ecosystems – a review vol.37, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3109/07388551.2015.1132406
- Effects of substituting concentrate mix with water hyacinth (Eichhornia crassipes) leaves on feed intake, digestibility and growth performance of Washera sheep fed rice straw-based diet vol.50, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-018-1519-5