- Volume 29 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
New Record of a Hyalid Species, Protohyale (Boreohyale) triangulata (Crustacea: Amphipoda: Hyalidae), from Korea
- Jung, Tae Won (Department of Biotechnology, Chosun University) ;
- Yoon, Seong Myeong (Department of Marine Life Science, Chosun University)
- Received : 2013.03.19
- Accepted : 2013.04.12
- Published : 2013.04.30
A newly recorded hyalid species, Protohyale (Boreohyale) triangulata (Hiwatari, 2003), of Korean waters is reported with a description and illustrations. In this paper, the validity of its generic and subgeneric categories is considered. Protohyale triangulata has a specific shape of the propodus of gnathopod 1 in the matured male, forming a triangle with a subquadrate posteroproximal corner, and the palm and the posterior margin are not clear. This major characteristic feature serves to distinguish it from other Korean hyalid species. We also reexamined some previous reports of Korean hyalid species. It seems that this species had been confused with Hyale rubra in Korea.
Supported by : Chosun University
- Barnard JL, 1970. Sublittoral gammaridea (Amphipoda) of the Hawaiian Islands. Smithsonian Contributions of Zoology, 34:1-286.
- Bousfield EL, Hendrycks EA, 2002. The talitroidean amphiod family Hyalidae revised, with emphasis on the north Pacific fauna: systematic and distributional ecology. Amphipacifica, 3:17-134.
- Hiwatari T, 2003. Taxonomic studies on Hyale (Crustacea, Amphipoda, Hyalidae) from the coast of Japan and adjacent waters. Publications of Seto Marine Biological Laboratory, 39:229-262. https://doi.org/10.5134/176310
- Hiwatari T, Kajihara T, 1981. Taxonomy of the family Hyalidae (Amphipoda, Crustacea) in Japan. I. Three new species of the genus Hyale. Proceedings of the Japanese Society of Systematic Zoology, 20:21-34.
- Iwasa M, 1939. Japanese Talitridae. Journal of the Faculty of Science, Hokkaido Imperial University, Zoology, Series 6, 4:255-296.
- Kim HS, Kim CB, 1987. Marine gammaridean Amphipoda (Crustacea) of Cheju Island and its adjacent water, Korea. Korean Journal of Systematic Zoology, 3:1-23.
- Kim W, Kim CB, 1991. The marine amphipod crustaceans of Ulreung Island, Korea: part II. Korean Journal of Systematic Zoology, 7:13-38.
- Schreider MJ, Glasby TM, Underwood AJ, 2003. Effects of height on the shore and complexity of habitat on abundances of amphipods on rocky shores in New South Wales, Australia. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology, 293: 57-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-0981(03)00185-0
- Serejo CS, Sittrop DJ, 2009. Hyalidae. Zootaxa, 2260:440-452.
- Shin MH, Kim W, 2012. First record of a hyalid species, Protohyale pumila (Crustacea: Amphipoda: Hyalidae), from Korea. Animal Systematics, Evolution and Diversity, 28:312-316. https://doi.org/10.5635/ASED.2012.28.4.312