- Volume 29 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
New Records of Four Doridoidean Nudibranchs from Korea
- Jung, Daewui (Department of Life Science, Sangmyung University) ;
- Lee, Jongrak (Marine Biodiversity Research Institute, INTHESEA KOREA Inc.) ;
- Kim, Chang-Bae (Department of Life Science, Sangmyung University)
- Received : 2012.12.22
- Accepted : 2013.02.17
- Published : 2013.04.30
Specimens of nudibranchs have been surveyed by scuba diving from 9 localities along the Korean coast. By examination of morphological characteristics, four species in the superfamily Doridoidea which are new to Korea were identified, and re-described: Thorunna florens (Baba, 1949), Diaulula sandiegensis (Cooper, 1863), Jorunna parva (Baba, 1938), and Doris odhneri (MacFarland, 1966). In addition, radulae of three species were observed and photographed by using scanning electron microscopy. As a result of the study, 16 species of doridoidean nudibranch are now known from Korean waters.
- Baba K, 1938. Opisthobranchia of Kii, middle Japan. Journal of the Department of Agriculture, Kyushu Imperial University, 6:1-19.
- Baba K, 1949. Opisthobranchia of Sagami Bay, collected by his Majesty the Emperor of Japan. Iwanami Shoten, Tokyo, pp. 1-194.
- Baba K, 1957. A revised list of the species of Opisthobranchia from the northern part of Japan, with some additional descriptions. Journal of the Faculty of Science, Hokkaido University, Series 6, Zoology, 13:8-14.
- Behrens DW, Hermosillo A, 2005. Eastern Pacific nudibranchs: A guide to the opisthobranchs from Alaska to central America. Sea challengers Natural History Books, Gig harbor, WA, pp. 1-137.
- Camacho-Garcia Y, Gosliner TM, 2008. Systematic revision of Jorunna Bergh, 1876 (Nudibranchia: Discodorididae) with a morphological phylogenetic analysis. Journal of Molluscan Studies, 74:143-181. https://doi.org/10.1093/mollus/eyn002
- Choe B, 1992. Illustrated encyclopedia of fauna and flora of Korea. Vol. 33. Mollusca (II). Ministry of Education, Seoul, pp. 1-860 (in Korean).
- Choe BL, Lee JR, 1994. Opisthobranchs (Mollusca: Gastropoda) from Ullung and Dog-do islands, Korea. Korean Journal of Zoology, 37:352-376.
- Choi M, 2003. Classification of Doridacea (Gastropoda, Nudibranchia) from sea shores around Je-ju Island. MS thesis, Sungkyunkwan University, Suwon, Korea, p. 100.
- Cooper JG, 1863. On new or rare Mollusca inhabiting the coast of California. No. 2. Proceedings of the California Academy of Natural Sciences, 3:56-60.
- Debelius H, Kuiter RH, 2007. Nudibranchs of the world. IKANUnterwasserarchiv, Frankfurt, pp. 1-360.
- Gosliner TM, Behrens DW, Valdes Á, 2008. Indo-Pacific nudibranchs and sea slugs: a field guide to the world's most diverse fauna. Sea Challengers Natural History Books and California Academy of Sciences, Gig Harbor, WA, pp. 1-426.
- Lee JR, 1993. Classification of Opisthobranchs from Ullung and Dog-do islands. MS thesis, Sungkyunkwan University, Suwon, Korea, p. 71.
- Lee JS, Min DK, 2002. A catalogue of molluscan fauna in Korea. Korean Journal of Malacology, 18:93-217.
- MacFarland FM, 1966. Studies of opisthobranchiate mollusks of the Pacific coast of North America. Memoirs of the California Academy of Sciences, 6:1-546.
- McDonald GR, 1983. A review of the nudibranchs of the California coast. Malacologia, 24:114-276.
- Okutani T, 2000. Marine mollusks in Japan. University of Tokyo Press, Tokyo, pp. 1-1173.
- Rudman WB, 1990. The Chromodorididae (Opisthobranchia : Mollusca) of the Indo-West Pacific: further species of Glossodoris, Thorunna and the Chromodoris aureomarginata colour group. Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society, 100:263-326. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1096-3642.1990.tb01864.x
- Valdes Á, Gosliner TM, 2001. Systematics and phylogeny of the caryophyllidia-bearing dorids (Mollusca, Nudibranchia), with descriptions of a new genus and four new species from Indo-Pacific deep waters. Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society, 133:103-198. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1096-3642.2001.tb00689.x