- Volume 17 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Reflective Thermochromic Display on Polyethylene Naphthalate Film
- Heo, Kyong Chan (Department of Physics, Yeungnam University) ;
- Son, Phil Kook (Electronics and Regional Innovation Center-component and Materials for Information Display, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Sohn, Youngku (Department of Chemistry, Yeungnam University) ;
- Yi, Jonghoon (Department of Physics, Yeungnam University) ;
- Kwon, Jin Hyuk (Department of Physics, Yeungnam University) ;
- Gwag, Jin Seog (Department of Physics, Yeungnam University)
- Received : 2012.10.29
- Accepted : 2013.01.30
- Published : 2013.04.25
A reflective flexible display was fabricated by placing a thermochromic pigment on a polyethylene naphthalate (PEN) substrate coated with an indium tin oxide (ITO) film, and its thermo-optical characteristics were investigated. The reflective thermochromic display showed good image quality with a reflectance of approximately 65%. As a flexible display, the display showed reliability without damage to the image even after the display was bent strongly. The reflective display cell exhibits continuously the gray level according to the temperature controlled by applied voltage. This low cost display is expected be used in outdoor poster applications where information needs to be presented clearly.
Supported by : Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning
- D.-W. Kim, C.-J. Yu, Y.-W. Lim, J.-H. Na, and S.-D. Lee, "Mechanical stability of a flexible ferroelectric liquid crystal display with a periodic array of columnar spacers," Appl. Phys. Lett. 87, 051917-1-051917-3 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1063/1.2007856
- H. Sato, H. Fujikae, Y. Iino, M. Kawakita, and H. Kikuchi, "Flexible grayscale ferroelectric liquid crystal device containing polymer walls and networks," Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 41, 5302-5306 (2002). https://doi.org/10.1143/JJAP.41.5302
- H. Sato, H. Fujikae, H. Kikuchi, and T. Kurita, "Fluorinated polymer alignment layers formed at low temperature for plastic-substrate-based liquid crystal devices," Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 40, L53-L55 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1143/JJAP.40.L53
- A. Henzen, N. Ailenei, F. V. Reeth, G. Vansichem, R. W. Zehner, and K. Amundson, "An electronic ink low latency drawing tablet," SID Int. Symp. Digest Tech. Papers 35, 1070-1073 (2004).
- L. Liu, S. Pen, W. Wen, and P. Sheng, "Paperlike thermochromic display," Appl. Phys. Lett. 90, 213508-1-213508-3 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1063/1.2742781
- Y. Noguchi, T. Sekitani, and T. Someya, "Organic-transistorbased flexible pressure sensors using ink-jet-printed electrodes and gate dielectric layers," Appl. Phys. Lett. 89, 253507-1-253507-3 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1063/1.2416001
- H. A. Seeboth, J. Kriwanek, and R. Vetter, "Novel chromogenic polymer gel networks for hybrid transparency and color control with temperature," Adv. Mater. (Weinheim, Ger.) 12, 1424-1426 (2000). https://doi.org/10.1002/1521-4095(200010)12:19<1424::AID-ADMA1424>3.0.CO;2-N
- O. Yarimaga, M. Im, B. Gu, T. W. Kim, Y. K. Jung, H. G. Park, Y.-K. Choi, "A thermally actuated organic display device using thermo-chromatic polymer composite film with self-aligned patterns," in Proc. IEEE MEMS Technical Digest (Tucson, Arizona, USA, 2008), pp. 750-753.
- M. Seredyuk, A. B. Gaspar, V. Ksenofontov, S. Reiman, Y. Galyametdinov, W. Haase, and R. Vetter, and P. Gutlich, "Room temperature operational thermochromic liquid crystals," Chem. Mater. 18, 2513 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1021/cm052632w
- A. Mills and A. Lepre, "Development of novel thermochromic plastic films for optical temperature sensing," The Analyst 124, 685 (1999). https://doi.org/10.1039/a900531e
- M. G. Baron, M. Elie, M. G. Baron, and M. Elie, "Temperature sensing using reversible thermochromic polymeric films," Sens. Actuators B Chem. 90, 271-275 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0925-4005(03)00045-5
- D. C. Maclaren and M. A. White, "Design rules for reversible thermochromic mixtures," J. Mater. Chem. 40, 669-676 (2005).
- G. Shimizu, Shiga, and Y. Hayasshi, "Thermochromic composition," U.S. Patent, US4717710 (5, January, 1998).
- High contrast reflective liquid crystal display using a thermochromic reflector vol.17, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1088/2040-8978/17/2/025401
- Optical Design for Reflective Liquid Crystal Displays vol.613, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1080/15421406.2015.1032078
- Micromachining on and of Transparent Polymers for Patterning Electrodes and Growing Electrically Active Cells for Biosensor Applications vol.8, pp.8, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/mi8080250
- Printed thermochromic displays pp.14723581, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/cote.12372