- Volume 14 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Frequency of Cigarette Smoking Among Psychiatric Inpatients Evaluated by the Fagerstrom Test for Nicotine Dependence
- Tanriover, Ozlem (Department of Family Medicine, Yeditepe University Faculty of Medicine) ;
- Karamustafalioglu, Nesrin (Department of Psychiatry Bakirkoy Neuropsychiatry Hospital) ;
- Tezvaran, Zehra (Family Medicine, Maltepe University Istanbul) ;
- Kaplan, Asli (Marmara University School of Medicine) ;
- Tomruk, Nesrin (Department of Psychiatry Bakirkoy Neuropsychiatry Hospital)
- Published : 2013.01.31
Background: In this study our aim was to determine the rate of smoking in a sample of psychiatric in-patients with diagnoses of schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and major depression and to examine factors related to smoking status and the level of dependence in this population. Materials and Methods: A total of 160 people were included in this descriptive study. 80 were inpatients with schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and major depression and 80 people without any psychiatric diagnoses were included as a control group. The participants were interviewed face-to face using a semi-structured questionnaire and Fagerstrom Test for Nicotine Dependence was used to define smoking habits. Results: The mean age of the participants was
- GATS (2008). T.C. Saglik Bakanligi Temel Saglik Hizmetleri Genel Mudurlugu, "Kuresel Yetiskin Tutun Arastirmasi Turkiye Raporu". TUlK, Ankara. (in Turkish).
- Goff DC, Sullivan LM, McEvoy JP, et al (2005). A comparison of ten-year cardiac risk estimates in schizophrenia patients from the CATIE study and matched controls. Schizophr Res, 80, 45-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.schres.2005.08.010
- Hennekens CH, Hennekens AR, Hollar D, et al (2005). Schizophrenia and increased risks of cardiovascular disease. Am Heart J, 150, 1115-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ahj.2005.02.007
- Kelly C, McCreadie RG (1999). Smoking habits, current symptoms and premorbid characteristics of schizophrenic patients in Nithsdale, Scotland. Am J Psychiatry, 156, 1751-7.
- Kilian R, Becker T, Kruger K, et al (2006). Health behavior in psychiatric in-patients compared with a German general population sample. Acta Psychiatr Scand, 114, 242-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0447.2006.00850.x
- Ogel K, Tamar D, Ozmen E, et al (2003). lstanbul Ornekleminde Tutun (Sigara) Kullanim Yayginligi. J Dependence, 4, 105-8.
- Osborn DPJ, King MB, Nazareth I (2003). Participation in screening for cardiovascular risk by people with schizophrenia or similar mental illness: cross sectional study in general practice. BMJ, 326, 1122-3. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.326.7399.1122
- PIAR (1988). Sigara Aliskanliklari ve Sigara ile Mucadele Kampanyasi Kamuoyu Arastirma Raporu. Istanbul (in Turkish).
- Salokangas RKR, Honkonen T, Stengard E, et al (2006). Cigarette smoking in long-term schizophrenia. Eur Psychiatry, 21, 219-3. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eurpsy.2005.07.008
- Strassnig M, Brar JS, Ganguli R (2006). Increased caffeine and nicotine consumption in community-dwelling patients with schizophrenia. Schizophr Res, 86, 269-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.schres.2006.05.013
- Uysal MA, Kadakal F, Karsidag C, et al (2004). Fagerstrom test for nicotine dependence: reliability in a Turkish sample and factor analysis. Tuberk Toraks, 52, 115-21.
- Williams JM, Ziedonis D (2004) Addressing tobacco among individuals with a mental illness or an addiction. Addict Behav, 29, 1067-83. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addbeh.2004.03.009
- American Psychiatric Association (1994). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (4th ed) (DSM-IV), Washington, DC: APA.
- Brown S, Inskip H, Barraclough B (2000). Causes of the excess mortality of schizophrenia. Br J Psychiatry, 177, 212-7. https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.177.3.212
- Chaves L, Shirakawa I (2008). Nicotine use in patients with schizophrenia evaluated by the fagerström tolerance questionnaire: a descriptive analysis from a Brazilian sample. Rev Bras Psiquiatr, 30, 350-2. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-44462008005000014
- Filik R, Sipos A, Kehoe PG, et al (2006). The cardiovascular and respiratory health of people with schizophrenia. Acta Psychiatr Scand, 113, 298-05. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0447.2006.00768.x
- Cochlear implant candidates with psychogenic hearing loss vol.135, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3109/00016489.2014.985801
- Work-Associated Stress and Nicotine Dependence among Law Enforcement Personnel in Mangalore, India vol.17, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.2.829
- Regional Homogeneity Changes in Nicotine Addicts by Resting-State fMRI vol.12, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0170143
- A Systematic Review of Psychosocial Barriers and Facilitators to Smoking Cessation in People Living With Schizophrenia vol.9, pp.1664-0640, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyt.2018.00565