- Volume 14 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Development and Validation of a Cancer Awareness Questionnaire for Malaysian Undergraduate Students of Chinese Ethnicity
- Loo, Jo Lin (Department of Nutrition and Wellness, Faculty of Applied Sciences, UCSI University) ;
- Ang, Yee Kwang (Department of Nutrition and Wellness, Faculty of Applied Sciences, UCSI University) ;
- Yim, Hip Seng (Department of Nutrition and Wellness, Faculty of Applied Sciences, UCSI University)
- Published : 2013.01.31
Objectives: To describe the development and validation of a cancer awareness questionnaire (CAQ) based on a literature review of previous studies, focusing on cancer awareness and prevention. Materials and Methods: A total of 388 Chinese undergraduate students in a private university in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, were recruited to evaluate the developed self-administered questionnaire. The CAQ consisted of four sections: awareness of cancer warning signs and screening tests; knowledge of cancer risk factors; barriers in seeking medical advice; and attitudes towards cancer and cancer prevention. The questionnaire was evaluated for construct validity using principal component analysis and internal consistency using Cronbach's alpha (
- Redeker C, Wardle J, Wilder D, Hiom S, Miles A (2009). The launch of cancer research UK's “Reduce the Risk” campaign: Baseline measurements of public awareness of cancer risk factors in 2004. Eur J Cancer, 45, 827-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2008.10.018
- San TA, Sari D, Turkistanli EC (2005). Knowledge, attitudes, risk factors, and early detection of cancer relevant to the school teachers in Izmir, Turkey. Prev Med, 40, 636-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2004.09.038
- Sheikh I, Ogden J (1998). The role of knowledge and beliefs in help seeking behaviour for cancer: a quantitative and qualitative approach. Patient Educ Couns, 35, 35-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0738-3991(98)00081-0
- Siklosi KR, Gallagher CG, McKone EF (2010). Development, validation, and implementation of a questionnaire assessing disease knowledge and understanding in adult cystic fibrosis patients. J Cyst Fibros, 9, 400-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcf.2010.07.001
- Simon AE, Waller J, Robb K, Wardle J (2010). Patient delay in presentation of possible cancer symptoms: The contribution of knowledge and attitudes in a population sample from the United Kingdom. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 19, 2272-7. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-10-0219
- Stubbings S, Robb K, Waller J, et al (2009). Development of a measurement tool to assess public awareness of cancer. Br J Cancer, 101, 13-7. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6605385
- Uauy R, Solomons N (2005). Diet, nutrition, and the life-course approach to cancer prevention. J Nutri, 135, 2934-45.
- Waller J, Robb K, Stubbings S, et al (2009). Awareness of cancer symptoms and anticipated help seeking among ethnic minority groups in England. Br J Cancer, 101, 24-30. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6605387
- World Cancer Research Fund/American Institute for Cancer Research (2007). Food, nutrition, physical activity, and the prevention of cancer: a global perspective. AICR, Washington DC.
- Adlard J, Hume MJ (2003). Cancer knowledge of the general public in the United Kingdom: survey in a primary care setting and review of the literature. Clin Oncol, 15, 174-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0936-6555(02)00416-8
- Aron A, Aron EN, Coups EJ (2006). Statistics for psychology (4th edn). Pearson Education Inc., New Jersey.
- Cancer Research UK (2008). Cancer awareness measure (CAM) toolkit (version 2), cancer research UK, University College London, Kings College and University of Oxford.
- Cohen RJ, Swerdlik ME (2005). Psychological testing and assessment: An introduction to test and measurement (6th edn). McGraw Hill, Illinois.
- Costello AB, Osborne JW (2005). Best practices in exploratory factor analysis: four recommendations for getting the most from your analysis. Pract Asses Res Eval, 10, 1-9.
- de Nooijer J, Lechner L, de Vries H (2002). Early detection of cancer: knowledge and behaviour among Dutch adults. Cancer Detect Prev, 26, 362-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0361-090X(02)00121-6
- Keeney S, McKenna H, Fleming P, McIlfatrick S (2011). An exploration of public knowledge of warning signs for cancer. Eur J Oncol Nurs, 15, 31-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejon.2010.05.007
- Linsell L, Forbes LJL, Burgess C, et al (2010). Validation of a measurement tool to assess awareness of breast cancer. Eur J Cancer, 46, 1374-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2010.02.034
- Lopez ML, Iglesias JM, Cueto GM, et al (2006). Attitude to primary prevention advice of the European Code against cancer in relatives of cancer patients: Implications for the development of preventive programmes. Psicothema, 18, 478-84.
- Medeiros R, Ramada D (2011). Knowledge differences between male and female university students about human papillomavirus (HPV) and cervical cancer: implications for health strategies and vaccination. Vaccine, 29, 153-60.
- National Cancer Registry (NCR), Malaysia (2007). National cancer registry report: Malaysia cancer statistics - data and figure 2007. Ministry of Health, Malaysia.
- Pallant J (2011). SPSS survival manual: A step by step guide to data analysis using SPSS (4th edn). Allen and Unwin, Australia.
- Perez-Contreras I, Allen B, Ruiz-Velasco S, et al (2004). Levels and correlates of knowledge about cancer risk factors among 13,293 public school students in Morelos, Mexico. Prev Med, 39, 286-99. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2004.04.001
- Cancer Awareness among University Students in Turkey vol.15, pp.10, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.10.4289