- Volume 14 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Clinicopathological Features and Localization of Gastric Cancers and their Effects on Survival in Turkey
- Selcukbiricik, Fatih (Sisli Education and Research Hospital) ;
- Tural, Deniz (Department of Medical Oncology, Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, Cerrahpasa Medical School) ;
- Bilici, Ahmet (Sisli Education and Research Hospital) ;
- Uzel, Esengul Kocak (Sisli Education and Research Hospital) ;
- Ozguroglu, Mustafa (Department of Medical Oncology, Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, Cerrahpasa Medical School) ;
- Demirelli, Fuat (Department of Medical Oncology, Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, Cerrahpasa Medical School) ;
- Buyukunal, Evin (Department of Medical Oncology, Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, Cerrahpasa Medical School) ;
- Serdengecti, Suheyla (Department of Medical Oncology, Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, Cerrahpasa Medical School)
- Published : 2013.01.31
Background: This study was designed to examine changing trends in localization of gastric cancer in Turkey in recent years. Materials and Methods: A total of 796 adult patients with newly diagnosed, histologically proven adenocarcinomas, treated and followed up at our oncology center between 2000-2011, were examined retrospectively. In all cases tumor localization were identified and recorded with clinicopathological features. Results: The median age was 58 with a range between 22-90 for the 552 men and 244 women. Median follow up was 12 months (1-276) and median overall survival was also 12 months (11.5-12.4). There was a trend for a change in tumor localization from distal to proximal. Survival of patients was low with advanced T and N stage tumours. Positive surgical margins, lymphovascular invasion, perineural invasion, cardioesophageal localization were predisposition factors for metastatic disease in gastric cancer. There was no relation between age or sex and histopathological type of gastric cancer. Conclusions: There is a trend in our country for a change in gastric tumour localization from distal to proximal, with clear significance for treatment choices.
- Dolan K, Sutton R, Walker SJ, et al (1999). New classification of oesophageal and gastric carcinomas derived from changing patterns in epidemiology. Br J Cancer, 80, 834-42. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6690429
- Harrison JP, Fielding JWL (1995). Prognostic factors for gastric cancer, influencing clinical practice. World J Surg, 16, 496-500.
- Harrison LE, Karpeh MS, Brennan MF (1997). Proximal gastric cancers resected via a transabdominal-only approach. Results and comparisons to distal adenocarcinoma of the stomach. Ann Surg, 225, 678-83. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000658-199706000-00005
- Huang JQ, Sridhar S, Chen Y, et al (1998). Meta-analysis of the relationship between helicobacter pylori seropositivity and gastric cancer. Gastroenterology, 114, 1169-79. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0016-5085(98)70422-6
- Jezequel J, Bessaguet C, Verveur C, et al (2010). Trends in incidence, management, and survival of gastric and cardia carcinomas in the area of Finistere (France) between 1984 and 2003. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol, 22, 1412-9.
- Julian A, Abrams MD, Lou G, et al (2012). Diverging trends in the incidence of reflux-related and helicobacter pylori-related gastric cardia. Cancer J Clin Gastroenterol, [Epub ahead of print].
- Peters CJ, Hardwick RH, Vowler SL, et al (2009). Generation and validation of a revised classification for oesophageal and junctional adenocarcinoma. Br J Surg, 96, 724-33. https://doi.org/10.1002/bjs.6584
- Powell J, McConkey CC (1990). Increasing incidance of adenocarcinoma of the gastric cardia and adjacent sites. Br J Cancer, 62, 440-3. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.1990.314
- Rusch VW (2004). Are cancers of the esophagus, gastroesophageal junction, and cardia one disease, two, or several? Semin Oncol, 31, 444-9. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.seminoncol.2004.04.023
- Saito H, Fukumoto Y, Osaki T, et al (2006). Distinct recurrence pattern and outcome of adenocarcinoma of the gastric cardia in comparison with carcinoma of other regions of the stomach. World J Surg, 30, 1864-69. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-005-0582-z
- Siewert JR, Feith M, Werner M, et al (2000). Adenocarcinoma of the esophagogastric junction: results of surgical therapy based on anatomical/topographic classification in 1,002 consecutive patients. Ann Surg, 232, 353-61. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000658-200009000-00007
- Talamanti MS, Kim SP, Yao KA, et al (2003). Surgical autcomes of patients with gastric carcinoma: the importance of primary tumor localization and microvessel invasion. Surg, 134, 720-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0039-6060(03)00337-4
- Van Blankenstein M, Looman CW, Siersema PD, et al (2007). Trends in the incidence of adenocarcinoma of the oesophagus and cardia in the Netherlands 1989-2003. Br J Cancer, 96, 1767-71. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6603798
- Aikou T, Shimaza H (1989). Differences in main lymphatic pathways from the lower esophagus and gastric cardia. Jpn J Surg, 19, 290-95. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02471404
- Aragone' N, Izarzugaza MI, Ramos M, et al (2010). For the oesophago-gastric cancer working group" trends in oesophago-gastric cancer incidence in Spain: analysis by subsite and histology" Annals of Oncol, 21, 69-75.
- Botterweck AA, Schouten LJ, Volovics A, et al (2000). Dorant E, van Den Brandt PA. Trends in incidence of ade' nocarcinoma of the oesophagus and gastric cardia in ten European countries. Int J Epidemiol, 29, 645-54. https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/29.4.645
- Bouvier AM, Remontet L, Jougla E, et al (2004). Launoy G, Grosclaude P, Buemi A, et al. Incidence of gastrointestinal cancers in France. Gastroenterol Clin Biol, 28, 877-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0399-8320(04)95152-4
- Deans C, Yeo MS, Soe MY, et al (2011). Cancer of the gastric cardia is rising in incidence in an Asian population and is associated with adverse outcome. World J Surg, 35, 617-24. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-010-0935-0
- Ding YB, Chen GY, Xia JG, et al (2004). Correlation of tumor positive ratio and number of perigastric lymph nodes with prognosis of gastric carcinoma in surgically treated patients. Word J Gastroenterol, 10, 182-5.
- Efficacy and Safety of Docetaxel or Epirubicin, Combined with Cisplatin and Fluorouracil, (DCF and ECF) Regimens as First Line Chemotherapy for Advanced Gastric Cancer: a Retrospective Analysis from Turkey vol.15, pp.16, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6727
- Relationship of Amplification and Expression of the C-MYC Gene with Survival among Gastric Cancer Patients vol.16, pp.16, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.16.7061
- Clinicopathological Factors and Gastric Cancer Prognosis in the Iranian Population: a Meta-analysis vol.16, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.3.853