- Volume 14 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Clinical Characteristics and Treatment Outcomes of Patients with Unresectable Cholangiocarcinoma in Thailand: Are there Differences Dependent on Stent Type?
- Prachayakul, Varayu (Siriraj GI Endoscopy Center, Division of Gastroenterology, Faculty of Medicine, Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University) ;
- Chaisayan, Suthasinee (Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University) ;
- Aswakul, Pitulak (Liver and Digestive Institute, Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospital) ;
- Deesomsak, Morakod (Liver and Digestive Institute, Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospital)
- 발행 : 2013.01.31
Cholangiocarcinoma, though very rare in Western countries, is one of the commonest liver malignancies in Southeast Asia, especially in Thailand. More than half of the patients present with advanced stage disease. Given the poor treatment outcomes of adjuvant therapeutic options, many patients undergo only biliary drainage for palliative treatment. Clinical characteristics and treatment outcomes after biliary stenting were here analyzed for a total of 224 uresectable cholangiocarcinoma cases, 58.9% in men. The mean age was 61.5 years. Hilar involvement was the most common location. The patients underwent biliary drainage using plastic and metallic stents equally, early stent occlusion being encountered in 21.4% and 10.7%, respectively. The median survival time was 4.93 months for patients who received plastic and 5.87 months for patients who received metallic stents.
- Anderson JE, Hemming AW, Chang DC, Talamini MA, Mekeel KL (2012). Surgical management trends for cholangiocarcinoma in the USA 1998-2009. J Gastrointest Surg, 16, 2225-32. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11605-012-1980-9
- Akamatsu N, Sugawara Y, Hashimoto D (2011). Surgical strategy for bile duct cancer: advances and current limitations. World J Clin Oncol, 2, 94-107. https://doi.org/10.5306/wjco.v2.i2.94
- Aslanian HR, Jamidar PA (2011). Ongoing challenges in the endoscopic management of hilar cholangiocarcinoma. Dig Dis Sci, 56, 1255-6. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10620-011-1664-4
- Friman S (2011). Cholangiocarcinoma-current treatment options. Scand J Surg, 100, 30-4.
- Hwang J, Kim YK, Park MJ, et al (2012). Differentiating combined hepatocellular and cholangiocarcinoma from mass-forming intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma using gadoxetic acid-enhanced MRI. J Magn Reson Imaging, 36, 881-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/jmri.23728
- Kawakami H, Kondo S, Kuwatani M, et al (2011). Preoperative biliary drainage for hilar cholangiocarcinoma: which stent should be selected? J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Sci, 18, 630-5. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00534-011-0404-7
- Khan SA, Davidson BR, Goldin RD, et al (2012). Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of cholangiocarcinoma: an update. Gut, 10, 1136.
- Klatskin G (1965). Adenocarcinoma of the hepatic duct at its bifurcation within the porta hepatis. an unusual tumor with distinctive clinical and pathological features. Am J Med, 38, 241-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/0002-9343(65)90178-6
- Kogure H, Isayama H, Kawakubo K, et al (2011). Endoscopic bilateral metallic stenting for malignant hilar obstruction using newly designed stents. J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Sci, 18, 653-65. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00534-011-0407-4
- Moon JH, Choi HJ (2011). Endoscopic double-metallic stenting for malignant biliary and duodenal obstructions. J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Sci, 18, 658-63. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00534-011-0409-2
- Nagino M, Takada T, Miyazaki M, et al (2008). Preoperative biliary drainage for biliary tract and ampullary carcinomas. J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Surg, 15, 25-30. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00534-007-1277-7
- Ruys AT, Haelst SV, Busch OR, et al (2012). Long-term survival in hilar cholangiocarcinoma also possible in unresectable patients. World J Surg, 36, 2179-86. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-012-1638-5
- Sangchan A, Kongkasame W, Pugkhem A, Jenwitheesuk K, Mairiang P (2012). Efficacy of metal and plastic stents in unresectable complex hilar cholangiocarcinoma: a randomized controlled trial. Gastrointest Endosc, 76, 93-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gie.2012.02.048
- Shin HR, Oh JK, Masuyer E, et al (2010). Epidemiology of cholangiocarcinoma: An update focusing on risk factors. Cancer Sci, 101, 579-85. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1349-7006.2009.01458.x
- Van der Gaag NA, Kloek JJ, de Bakker JK, et al (2012). Survival analysis and prognostic nomogram for patients undergoing resection of extrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma. Ann Oncol, 23, 2642-9. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mds077
- Zhou Y, Zhao Y, Li B, et al (2012). Hepatitis viruses infection and risk of intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma: evidence from meta-analysis. BMC Cancer, 12, 289. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-12-289
- Analysis of Different Ways of Drainage for Obstructive Jaundice Caused by Hilar Cholangiocarcinoma vol.15, pp.14, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.14.5617
- A significant cancer burden and high mortality of intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma in Thailand: a nationwide database study vol.17, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12876-016-0565-6