- Volume 14 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
EGFR Antisense Oligonucleotides Encapsulated with Nanoparticles Decrease EGFR, MAPK1 and STAT5 Expression in a Human Colon Cancer Cell Line
- Najar, Ahmad Gholamhoseinian (Department of Biochemistry and Kerman Physiology Research Center, Faculty of Medicine, Kerman University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Pashaei-Asl, Roghiyeh (Research Center for Pharmaceutical Nanotechnology, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Omidi, Yadollah (Research Center for Pharmaceutical Nanotechnology, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Farajnia, Safar (Biotechnology Research Center, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Nourazarian, Ali Reza (Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Kerman University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2013.01.31
Epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) is over-expressed in several human cancers. This would suggest that inhibition of EGFR is a reasonable approach for cancer treatment. In this study we investigated EGFR blocking and its effects on the mediated signaling such as MAPK and STATb in HT29 cells. For this aim we used FITC-labeled EGFR antisense oligonucleotides encapsulated with PAMAM nanoparticles to inhibit EGFR expression. Cellular uptake of antisense was investigated by fluorescence microscopy and flow cytometry analysis. The effect of EGFR antisense on the expression of EGFR in HT29 cells was examined by real time PCR and Western blots, which showed that antisense encapsulated with PAMAM decreased the level of EGFR mRNA and protein. In addition, real time PCR results confirmed that EGFR inhibition had an effective role in the reduction of EGFR dependent downstream genes. In conclusion, EGFR antisense encapsulated with PAMAM nanoparticles down regulated EGFR and EGFR-mediated genes.
- Wang P, Zhao XH, Wang ZY, et al (2010). Generation 4 polyamidoamine dendrimers is a novel candidate of nanocarrier for gene delivery agents in breast cancer treatment. Cancer Lett, 298, 34-49. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2010.06.001
- Witters L, Kumar R, Mandal M, et al (1999). Antisense oligonucleotides to the epidermal growth factor receptor. Breast Cancer Res and Treatment, 53, 41-50. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1006127527107
- Xiong H, Su WY, Liang QC, et al (2009). Inhibition of STAT5 induces G1 cell cycle arrest and reduces tumor cell invasion in human colorectal cancer cells. Lab Invest, 89, 717-25. https://doi.org/10.1038/labinvest.2009.11
- Yong H, Jun Z, Jin SW, Ke FD (2000). Inhibitory effects of EGFR antisense oligodeoxynucleotide in human colorectal cancer cell line. World J Gastroentero, 6, 747-9.
- Zhang X, Geng M, Wang YJ, Cao YC (1998). Expression of epidermal growth factor receptor and proliferating cell nuclear antigen in esophageal carcinoma and pre-cancerous lesions. Huaren Xiaohua Zazhi, 6, 229-30.
- Malik R, Roy I (2011). Making sense of therapeutics using antisense technology. Expre Opin Drug Discov, 6, 507-26. https://doi.org/10.1517/17460441.2011.565744
- Mao W, Irby R, Coppola D, et al (1997). Activation of c-Src by receptor tyrosine kinases in human colon cancer cells with high metastatic potential. Oncogene, 15, 3083-90. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1201496
- Nakhlband A, Barar J, Bidmeshkipour A, Heidari HR, Omidi Y(2010). Bioimpacts of anti epidermal growth factor receptor antisense complexed with polyamidoamine dendrimers in human lung epithelial adenocarcinoma cells. J Biomed Nanotechnol, 6, 360-9. https://doi.org/10.1166/jbn.2010.1131
- Normanno N, Bianco C, Damiano V, et al (1996). Growth inhibition of human colon carcinoma cells by combinations of antiepidermal growth factor-related growth factor antisense oligonucleotides. Clin Cancer Res, 2, 601-9.
- Nourazarian AR, Pashaei-Asl R, Omidi Y, Najar AG (2012). C-Src antisense complex with PAMAM denderimers decreaseof c-Src expression and EGFR-depended downstream genes in human HT-29 colon cancer cell line. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 2235-40. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.5.2235
- Nourazarian AR, Najar AG, Faragnia S, et al (2012). EGFR and c-Src Antisense Oligodeoxynucleotides Encapsulated with PAMAm Denderimers Inhibit HT-29 Colon Cancer Cell Proliferation. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4751-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.9.4751
- Orava EW, Cicmil N, Gariepy J (2010). Delivering cargoes into cancer cells using DNA aptamers targeting internalized surface portals. Biochim Biophys Acta, 1798, 2190-200. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbamem.2010.02.004
- Park S, Jung HH, Park YH, Ahn JS, Im YH (2011). ERK/MAPK pathways play critical roles in EGFR ligands-induced MMP1 expression. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 407, 680-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbrc.2011.03.075
- Prewett MC, Hooper AT, Bassi R, et al (2002). Enhanced antitumor activity of anti-epidermal growth factor receptor monoclonal antibody IMC-C225 in combination with irinotecan (CPT-11) against human colorectal tumor xenografts. Clin Cancer Res, 8, 994-1003.
- Quesnelle KM, Boehm AL, Grandis JR (2007). STAT-mediated EGFR signaling in cancer. J Cell Biochem, 102, 311-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcb.21475
- Rajagopal S, Huang S, Moskal TL, et al (1995). Epidermal growth factor expression in humancolon and colon carcinomas: anti-sense epidermal growth factor receptor RNA down-regulates the proliferation of human colon cancer cells. Int J Cancer, 62, 661-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.2910620603
- Rubin GJ, Chakraborty A, Melhem MF, Zeng Q, Tweardy DJ (1997). Inhibition of epidermal growth factor receptor gene expression and function decreases proliferation of head and neck squamous carcinoma but not normal mucosal epithelial cells. Oncogene, 15, 409-6. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1201188
- Spano JP, Fagard R, Soria JC, et al (2005). Epidermal growth factor receptor signaling in colorectal cancer preclinical data and therapeutic perspectives. Annals of Oncol, 16, 189-94. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdi057
- Siegel R, Naishadham D, Jemal A (2012). Cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 62, 10-29. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20138
- Testa JR, Bellacosa A (2001). AKT plays a central role in tumorigenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 98, 10983-5. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.211430998
- Bielinska AU, Baker JR, Kukowska-Latallo JF (2004). Dendrimer-mediated cell transfection in vitro. Methods Mol Biol, 245, 67-82.
- Bowman T, Garcia R, Turkson J, Jove R (2000). STATS in oncogenesis. Oncogene, 19, 2474-88. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1203527
- Chapnick D, Warner L, Bernet J, RAO T, Liu X (2011). The TGFbeta and MAPK pathways in cancer progression. Cell and Biosci, 1, 42. https://doi.org/10.1186/2045-3701-1-42
- Eichman JD, Bielinska AU, Kukowska-Latallo JF, Baker JR (2000). The use of PAMAM Denderimes in the efficient transfer of genetic material into cells. Pharm Sci Technolo Today, 3, 232-45. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1461-5347(00)00273-X
- Etienne MC, Pivot X, Formento JL, et al (1999). A multifactorial approach including tumoural epidermal growth factor receptor, p53, thymidylate synthase and dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase to predict treatment outcome in head and neck cancer patients receiving 5-fluorouracil. Br J Cancer, 79, 1864-9. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6690297
- Fang JY, Richardson BC (2005). The MAPK signalling pathways and colorectal cancer. Lancet Oncol, 6, 322-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(05)70168-6
- Francoual M, Etienne-Grimaldi MC, Formento JL, et al (2006). EGFR in colorectal cancer: more than a simple receptor. Ann Oncol, 17, 962-7. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdl037
- Greenlee RT, Murray T, Bolden S, Wingo PA (2000). Cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 50, 7-33. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.50.1.7
- Krasinskas AM (2011). EGFR Signaling in Colorectal Carcinoma. Patholog Res Int, 14, 932.
- Kopetz S (2007). Targeting SRC and epidermal growth factor receptor in colorectal cancer: rationale and progress into the clinic. Gastrointest Cancer Res, 1, 37-41.
- Kumar R, Srinivasan S, Pahari P, Rohr J, Damodaran C (2010). Activating stress-activated protein kinase-mediated cell death and inhibiting epidermal growth factor receptor signaling: a promising therapeutic strategy for prostate cancer. Mol Cancer Ther, 9, 2488-96. https://doi.org/10.1158/1535-7163.MCT-10-0180
- Kunkel MW, Hook KE, Howard CT, et al (1996). Inhibition of the epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase by PD153035 in human A431 tumors in athymic nude mice.Invest New Drugs, 13, 295-302.
- Cytotoxic Activity of Biosynthesized Gold Nanoparticles with an Extract of the Red Seaweed Corallina officinalis on the MCF-7 Human Breast Cancer Cell Line vol.15, pp.10, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.10.4311
- Effect of Root Extracts of Medicinal Herb Glycyrrhiza glabra on HSP90 Gene Expression and Apoptosis in the HT-29 Colon Cancer Cell Line vol.16, pp.18, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.18.8563
- Versatile Method for the Site-Specific Modification of DNA with Boron Clusters: Anti-Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor (EGFR) Antisense Oligonucleotide Case vol.23, pp.65, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/chem.201702957
- Potential Molecular Targets in the Treatment of Lung Cancer Using siRNA Technology vol.36, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/07357907.2017.1416393