- Volume 14 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Significance of HCG to Distinguish Parathyroid Carcinoma from Benign Disease and in Adding Prognostic Information: A Hospital Based Study from Nepal
- Gupta, Satrudhan Pd. (Department of Biochemistry, Nepalese Army Institute of Health Sciences) ;
- Mittal, Ankush (Department of Biochemistry, Nepalese Army Institute of Health Sciences) ;
- Sathian, Brijesh (Department of Community Medicine, Manipal College of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2013.01.31
Objective: To differentiate between benign and malignant hyperparathyroidism on the basis of excretion of HCG and its malignant isoforms in urine. Materials and Methods: This hospital based study was carried out using data retrieved from the register maintained in Manipal Teaching Hospital from
- Chapoteau E, Czech BP, Zazulak W, et al (1993). New reagent for colorimetric assay of calcium in serum. Clin Chem, 39, 1820-4.
- Cole LA (2012). hCG, the wonder of today's science. Reprod Biol Endocrinol, 10, 24. https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7827-10-24
- Cole LA, Butler SA (2008). Hyperglycosylated human chorionic gonadotropin and human chorionic gonadotropin free betasubunit: tumor markers and tumor promoters. J Reprod Med, 53, 499-512.
- Cole LA, Wang YX, Elliott M, et al (1988).Urinary human chorionic gonadotropin free beta-subunit and beta-core fragment: a new marker of gynecological cancers. Cancer Res, 48, 1356-60.
- Endres DB, Villanueva R, Sharp CF Jr, et al (1989). Measurement of parathyroid hormone. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am, 18, 611-29.
- Goldfarb M, O'Neal P, Shih JL, et al (2009). Synchronous parathyroid carcinoma, parathyroid adenoma, and papillary thyroid carcinoma in a patient with severe and long-standing hyperparathyroidism. Endocr Pract, 15, 463-8. https://doi.org/10.4158/EP09075.CRR
- Kebebew E, Arici C, Duh QY, et al (2001). Localization and reoperation results for persistent and recurrent parathyroid carcinoma. Arch Surg, 136, 878-85. https://doi.org/10.1001/archsurg.136.8.878
- Khan NR, Khan AN, Bashir S, et al (2012). Diagnostic utility of p63 (Ab-1) and (Ab-4) tumor markers in the squamous cell carcinomas of head and neck. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 975-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.3.975
- Raj S, Piang LK, Nair KS, et al. (2012). Awareness regarding risk factors, symptoms and treatment facilities for cancer in selected states of India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4057-62. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.8.4057
- Rodriguez C, Naderi S, Hans C, et al (2012). Parathyroid carcinoma: a difficult histological diagnosis. Eur Ann Otorhinolaryngol Head Neck Dis, 129, 157-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anorl.2012.01.002
- Rubin MR, Bilezikian JP,Birken S, et al (2008). Human chorionic gonadotropin measurements in parathyroid carcinoma. Eur J Endocrinol, 159, 469-74. https://doi.org/10.1530/EJE-08-0169
- Sriussadaporn S, Phoojaroenchanachai M, Ploybutr S (2007). Hypercalcemia of malignancy: a study of clinical features and relationships among circulating levels of calcium, parathyroid hormone and parathyroid hormone-related peptide. J Med Assoc Thai, 90, 663-71.
- Stock JL, Weintraub BD, Rosen SW, et al(1982). Human chorionic gonadotropin subunit measurement in primary hyperparathyroidism. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 54, 57-63. https://doi.org/10.1210/jcem-54-1-57
- Triantafillidou K, Zouloumis L, Karakinaris G, et al (2006). Brown tumors of the jaws associated with primary or secondary hyperparathyroidism. A clinical study and review of the literature. Am J Otolaryngol, 27, 281-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjoto.2005.11.004
- Wang HF, Wang JS (2012). Research progress in potential urinary markers for the early detection, diagnosis and follow-up of human bladder cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1723-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.5.1723
- tumor suppressor gene vol.1, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.2217/ije.14.2