- Volume 14 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Protective Effects of Scutellaria barbata Against Rat Liver Tumorigenesis
- Dai, Zhi-Jun (Department of Oncology, the Second Affiliated Hospital of Xi'an Jiaotong University) ;
- Wu, Wen-Ying (Department of Oncology, the Second Affiliated Hospital of Xi'an Jiaotong University) ;
- Kang, Hua-Feng (Department of Oncology, the Second Affiliated Hospital of Xi'an Jiaotong University) ;
- Ma, Xiao-Bin (Department of Oncology, the Second Affiliated Hospital of Xi'an Jiaotong University) ;
- Zhang, Shu-Qun (Department of Oncology, the Second Affiliated Hospital of Xi'an Jiaotong University) ;
- Min, Wei-Li (Department of Oncology, the Second Affiliated Hospital of Xi'an Jiaotong University) ;
- Lu, Wang-Feng (Department of Oncology, the Second Affiliated Hospital of Xi'an Jiaotong University) ;
- Lin, Shuai (Department of Oncology, the Second Affiliated Hospital of Xi'an Jiaotong University) ;
- Wang, Xi-Jing (Department of Oncology, the Second Affiliated Hospital of Xi'an Jiaotong University)
- Published : 2013.01.31
Scutellaria barbata D. Don (S. barbata), a traditional Chinese medicine, is used to treat cancers, inflammation, and urinary diseases. This study aimed to determine any protective effects of S. barbata crude extract (CE-SB) against rat liver tumorigenesis induced by diethylnitrosamine (DENA). Liver malfunction indices in serum were measured by biochemical examination. Hematoxylin and eosin staining was performed to examine liver pathology. Contents of malondialdehyde (MDA) and superoxide dismutase (SOD) were measured in liver homogenates to evaluate oxidative stress. The levels of liver malfunction indices in the CE-SB groups, especially in the CE-SB high dose group, were lower than that of the model group (P<0.05). The results from histological examination indicated that the number of liver nodules in the CE-SB groups decreased compared with the model group (P<0.05). Content of MDA determined in liver was significantly decreased, and level of SOD elevated by CE-SB. CE-SB can inhibit experimental liver tumorigenesis and relieve hepatic injury in rats.
- Lee GH, Ooasa T, Osanai M (1998). Mechanism of the paradoxical, inhibitory effect of phenobarbital on hepatocarcinogenesis initiated in preweaning B6C3F1 mice with diethylnitrosamine. Cancer Res, 58, 1665-9.
- Lee TK, Lee DK, Kim DI (2004). Inhibitory effects of Scutellaria barbata D.Don on human uterine leiomyomal smooth muscle cell proliferation through cell cycle analysis. Int Immunopharmacol, 4, 447-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intimp.2003.12.012
- Lin CC, Shieh DE (1996). The anti-inflammatory activity of Scutellaria rivularis extracts and its active components, baicalin, baicaleinand wogonin. Am J Chin Med, 24, 31-36. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0192415X96000050
- Manoharan S, Singh AK, Suresh K, et al (2012). Antitumor Initiating Potential of Andrographolide in 7,12-dimethylbenz[a]anthracene Induced Hamster Buccal Pouch Carcinogenesis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 5701-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.11.5701
- Mi X, Zhu R (2010). Simultaneous determination of 7 active ingredients in Scutellaria barbata D. Don by capillary micellar electrokinetic chromatography. Se Pu, 28, 209-214.
- Qu GW, Yue XD, Li GS, et al (2010). Two new cytotoxic entclerodane diterpenoids from Scutellaria barbata. J Asian Nat Prod Res, 12, 859-64. https://doi.org/10.1080/10286020.2010.507546
- Rajkapoor B, Murugesh N, Chodon D, et al (2005). Chemoprevention of N-nitrosodiethylamine induced phenobarbitol promoted liver tumors in rat by extract of Indigofera aspalathoides. Biol Pharm Bull, 28, 364-6. https://doi.org/10.1248/bpb.28.364
- Suh SJ, Yoon JW, Lee TK, et al (2007). Chemoprevention of Scutellaria bardata on Human Cancer Cells and Tumorigenesis in Skin Cancer. Phytother Res, 21,135-41. https://doi.org/10.1002/ptr.2010
- Vickers, A (2002). Botanical medicines for the treatment of cancer: Rationale, overview of current data, and methodological considerations for phase I and II trials. Cancer Invest, 20, 1069-79. https://doi.org/10.1081/CNV-120005926
- Yagi K (1976). A simple fluorometric assay for lipoperoxide inblood plasma. Biochem Med, 15, 212-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/0006-2944(76)90049-1
- Yin X, Zhou J, Jie C, et al (2004). Anticanceractivity and mechanism of Scutellaria barbata extract on human lung cancer cell line A549. Life Sci, 75, 2233-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lfs.2004.05.015
- Zhou L, Liu J, Luo, F (2006). Serum tumor markers for detection of hepatocellular carcinoma. World J Gastroenterol, 12, 1175-81.
- Bansal AK, Bansal M, Soni G, et al (2005). Protective role of Vitamin E pre-treatment on N-nitrosodiethylamine induced oxidative stress in rat liver. Chem Biol Interact, 156, 101-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cbi.2005.08.001
- Bhosale P, Motiwale L, Ingle AD, et al (2002). Protective effect of Rhodotorula glutinis NCIM3353 on the development of hepatic preneoplastic lesions. Curr. Sci, 83, 303-8.
- Bishayee A, Chatterjee M (1995). Inhibitory effect of vanadium on rat liver carcinogenesis initiated with diethylnitrosamine and promoted by phenobarbital. Br Cancer J, 71, 1214-20 https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.1995.236
- Bulle F, Mavier P, Zafrani ES, et al (1990). Mechanism of gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase release in serum during intrahepatic and extrahepatic cholestasis in the rat: a histochemical, biochemical and molecular approach. Hepatology, 11, 545-50. https://doi.org/10.1002/hep.1840110404
- Cui R, He J, Zhang F, et al (2003). Diagnostic value of protein induced by vitamin K absence(PIVKAII) and hepatomaspecific band of serum gamma-glutamyl transferase (GGTII) as hepatocellular carcinoma markers complementary to alpha-fetoprotein. Br J Cancer, 88, 1878-82. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6601018
- Dai SJ, Peng WB, Shen L, et al (2011). New norditerpenoid alkaloids from Scutellaria barbata with cytotoxic activities. Nat. Prod. Res, 15, 1-6.
- Dai SJ, Sun JY, Ren Y, et al (2007). Bioactive ent-clerodane diterpenoids from Scutellaria barbata. Planta Med, 73, 1217-20. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2007-990215
- Dai ZJ, Gao J, Li ZF, et al (2011). In Vitro and In Vivo Antitumor Activity of Scutellaria Barbate Extract on Murine Liver Cancer. Molecules, 16, 4389-400. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules16064389
- Dai ZJ, Wang XJ, Li ZF, et al (2008). Scutellaria barbate extract induces apoptosis of hepatoma H22 cells via the mitochondrial pathway involving caspase-3. World J Gastroenterol, 14, 7321-8. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.14.7321
- Dakshayani KB, Subramanian P, Manivasagam T, et al (2005). Melatonin modulates the oxidantantioxidant imbalance during N- nitrosodiethy- lamine induced hepatocarcinogenesis in rats. J Pharm Pharm Sci, 8, 316-21.
- Farazi1 PA, DePinho RA (2006). Hepatocellular carcinoma pathogenesis: from genes to environment. Nat Rev Cancer, 6, 674-87. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrc1934
- Futakuchi M, Hirose M, Ogiso T, et al (1999). Establishment of an in vivo highly metastatic rat hepato-cellular carcinoma model. Jpn J Cancer Res, 90, 1196-202. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1349-7006.1999.tb00695.x
- Goh D, Lee YH, Ong ES (2005). Inhibitory effects of a chemically standardized extract from Scutellaria barbata in human colon cancer cell lines, LoVo. J Agric Food Chem, 53, 8197-204. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf051506+
- Ibrahim SS, Nassar NN (2008). Diallyl sulfide protects against N-nitrosodiethylamine induced liver tumorigenesis: Role of aldose reductase. World J Gastroenterol, 14, 6145-53. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.14.6145
- Ishizuka H, Nakayama T, Matsuoka S, et al (1999). Prediction of the development of hepato-cellular-carcinoma in patients with liver cirrhosis by the serial determinations of serum alpha-L-fucosidase activity. Intern Med, 38, 927-31. https://doi.org/10.2169/internalmedicine.38.927
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, et al (2011). Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- D. Don in Lewis-Bearing C57BL/6 Mice vol.2015, pp.1741-4288, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1155/2015/630760
- Inhibiting Nitric Oxide Production in LPS-Stimulated Microglial Cells vol.14, pp.11, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/cbdv.201700231
- Scutellaria barbata D. Don extract inhibits the tumor growth through down-regulating of Treg cells and manipulating Th1/Th17 immune response in hepatoma H22-bearing mice vol.17, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12906-016-1551-9
- Using the Chinese herb Scutellaria barbata against extensively drug-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii infections: in vitro and in vivo studies vol.18, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12906-018-2151-7