- Volume 14 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Induction of Mitochondrial-Mediated Apoptosis by Morinda Citrifolia (Noni) in Human Cervical Cancer Cells
- Gupta, Rakesh Kumar (Department of Biochemistry, All India Institute of Medical Science) ;
- Banerjee, Ayan (Department of Biochemistry, All India Institute of Medical Science) ;
- Pathak, Suajta (Department of Biochemistry, All India Institute of Medical Science) ;
- Sharma, Chandresh (Department of Biochemistry, All India Institute of Medical Science) ;
- Singh, Neeta (Department of Biochemistry, All India Institute of Medical Science)
- Published : 2013.01.31
Cervical cancer is the second most common cause of cancer in women and has a high mortality rate. Cisplatin, an antitumor agent, is generally used for its treatment. However, the administration of cisplatin is associated with side effects and intrinsic resistance. Morinda citrifolia (Noni), a natural plant product, has been shown to have anti-cancer properties. In this study, we used Noni, cisplatin, and the two in combination to study their cytotoxic and apoptosis-inducing effects in cervical cancer HeLa and SiHa cell lines. We demonstrate here, that Noni/Cisplatin by themselves and their combination were able to induce apoptosis in both these cell lines. Cisplatin showed slightly higher cell killing as compared to Noni and their combination showed additive effects. The observed apoptosis appeared to be mediated particularly through the up-regulation of p53 and pro-apoptotic Bax proteins, as well as down-regulation of the anti-apoptotic Bcl-2, Bcl-
- Liu G, Bode A, Ma WY, et al (2001) Two novel glycosides from the fruits of Morinda citrifolia (Noni) inhibit AP-1 transactivation and cell transformation in the mouse epidermal JB6 cell line. Cancer Res, 61, 5749-56.
- Pathak S, Bhatla N, Singh N (2012). Cervical cancer pathogenesis is associated with one carbon metabolism. Mol Cell Biochem, 369, 1-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11010-012-1362-3
- Pawlus AD, Su B-N, Keller WJ, Kinghorn AD (2005). An anthraquinone with potent quinone reductase-inducing activity and other constituents of the fruits of Morinda citrifolia (Noni). J Nat Prod, 68, 1720-2. https://doi.org/10.1021/np050383k
- Reddy VG, Khanna N, Singh N (2001). Vitamin C augments chemotherapeutic response of cervical carcinoma HeLa cells by stabilizing P53. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 282, 409-15. https://doi.org/10.1006/bbrc.2001.4593
- Schloffer D, Horky M, Kotala V, Wesierska-Gadek J (2003). Induction of cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in human cervix carcinoma cells during therapy by Cisplatin. Cancer Detect Prev, 27, 481-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cdp.2003.07.002
- Sen S, Sharma H, Singh N (2005). Curcumin enhances Vinorelbine mediated apoptosis in NSCLC cells by the mitochondrial pathway. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 331, 1245-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbrc.2005.04.044
- Taskin EI, Akgun-Dar K, Kapucu A, et al (2009). Apoptosisinducing effects of Morinda citrifolia L. and doxorubicin on the Ehrlich ascites tumor in Balb-c mice. Cell Biochem Funct, 27, 542-6. https://doi.org/10.1002/cbf.1604
- Wong YH, Abdul KH (2012) Induction of mitochondriamediated apoptosis in ca ski human cervical cancer cells triggered by mollic acid arabinoside isolated from Leea indica. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med, 2012, 684740.
- Akihisa T, Matsumoto K, Tokuda H, et al (2007). Antiinflammatory and potential cancer chemopreventive constituents of the fruits of Morinda citrifolia (Noni). J Nat Prod, 70, 754-7. https://doi.org/10.1021/np068065o
- Alitheen NB, Manaf AA, Yeap SK, et al (2010). Immunomodulatory effects of damnacanthal isolated from roots of Morinda elliptica. Pharm Biol, 48, 446-52. https://doi.org/10.3109/13880200903168031
- Alshatwi AA, Shafi G, Hasan TN, et al (2011). Apoptosismediated inhibition of human breast cancer cell proliferation by lemon citrus extract. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1555-9.
- Boulet GA, Horvath CA, Berghmans S, Bogers J (2008). Human papillomavirus in cervical cancer screening: important role as biomarker. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 17, 810-7. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-07-2865
- Franco EL, Duarte-Franco E, Ferenczy A (2001). Cervical cancer: epidemiology, prevention and the role of human papillomavirus infection. CMAJ, 164, 1017-25.
- Furusawa E, Hirazumi A, Story S, Jensen J (2003) Antitumour potential of a polysaccharide-rich substance from the fruit juice of Morinda citrifolia (Noni) on sarcoma 180 ascites tumour in mice. Phytother Res, 17, 1158-64. https://doi.org/10.1002/ptr.1307
- Guillemin Y, Lopez J, Gimenez D, et al (2010). Active fragments from pro- and antiapoptotic BCL-2 proteins have distinct membrane behavior reflecting their functional divergence. PLoS One, 5, 9066. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0009066
- Hernandez-Flores G, Ortiz-Lazareno PC, Lerma-Diaz JM, et al (2011). Pentoxifylline sensitizes human cervical tumor cells to cisplatin-induced apoptosis by suppressing NF-kappa B and decreased cell senescence. BMC Cancer, 11, 483. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-11-483
- Hiramatsu T, Imoto M, Koyano T, Umezawa K (1993). Induction of normal phenotypes in ras-transformed cells by damnacanthal from Morinda citrifolia. Cancer Lett, 73, 161-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3835(93)90259-C
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, et al (2011). Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Jurado R, Lopez-Flores A, Alvarez A, García-Lopez P (2009). Cytotoxicity is increased by mifepristone in cervical carcinoma: an in vitro and in vivo study. Oncol Rep, 22, 1237-45.
- Kamesaki H (1998) Mechanisms involved in chemotherapyinduced apoptosis and their implications in cancer chemotherapy. Int J Hematol, 68, 29-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0925-5710(98)00038-3
- Kartalou M, Essigmann JM (2001). Mechanisms of resistance to Cisplatin. Mutat Res, 478, 23-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0027-5107(01)00141-5
- Khanna N, Reddy VG, Tuteja N, Singh N (2000). Differential gene expression in apoptosis: identification of ribosomal protein S29 as an apoptotic inducer. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 277, 476-86. https://doi.org/10.1006/bbrc.2000.3688
- Khan S, Jutzy JMS, Aspe JR, et al (2011). Survivin is released from cancer cells via exosomes. Apoptosis, 16, 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10495-010-0534-4
- Kuhar M, Sen S, Singh N (2006). Role of mitochondria in quercetin-enhanced chemotherapeutic response in human non-small cell lung carcinoma H-520 cells. Anticancer Res, 26, 1297-303.
- Roles of Plant Extracts and Constituents in Cervical Cancer Therapy vol.14, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.6.3429
- Do the Health Claims Made for Morinda citrifolia (Noni) Harmonize with Current Scientific Knowledge and Evaluation of its Biological Effects vol.14, pp.8, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.8.4495
- Morinda citrifolia (Noni) Alters Oxidative Stress Marker and Antioxidant Activity in Cervical Cancer Cell Lines vol.14, pp.8, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.8.4603
- Cytotoxic Effects of Phytophenolics from Caesalpinia mimosoides Lamk on Cervical Carcinoma Cell Lines through an Apoptotic Pathway vol.15, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.1.449
- Mechanisms of Hela Cell Apoptosis Induced by Abnormal Savda Munziq Total Phenolics Combined with Chemotherapeutic Agents vol.15, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.2.743
- Anti-tumor Effects and Apoptosis Induction by Realgar Bioleaching Solution in Sarcoma-180 Cells in Vitro and Transplanted Tumors in Mice in Vivo vol.15, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2883
- Deoxynivalenol and Oxidative Stress Indicators in Winter Wheat Inoculated with Fusarium graminearum vol.6, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3390/toxins6020575
- Evaluation of Effects of Metformin in Primary Ovarian Cancer Cells vol.16, pp.16, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.16.6973
- Flavonoids from Orostachys Japonicus A. Berger Induces Caspase-dependent Apoptosis at Least Partly through Activation of p38 MAPK Pathway in U937 Human Leukemic Cells vol.16, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.2.465
- Morinda citrifolia Plays a Central Role in the Primary Prevention of Mitochondrial-dependent Degenerative Disorders vol.16, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.4.1675
- Hep88 mAb-Mediated Paraptosis-Like Apoptosis in HepG2 Cells via Downstream Upregulation and Activation of Caspase-3, Caspase-8 and Caspase-9 vol.16, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.5.1771
- Influence of Morinda citrifolia (Noni) on Expression of DNA Repair Genes in Cervical Cancer Cells vol.16, pp.8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.8.3457
- A combined approach against tumorigenesis using glucose deprivation and mitochondrial complex 1 inhibition by rotenone vol.40, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1002/cbin.10619
- (Noni) fruit juice on mice intestine, liver and kidney immune modulation vol.28, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/09540105.2017.1306492