- Volume 14 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Factors Associated with Helicobacter Pylori Infection, Results from a Developing Country-Pakistan
- Valliani, Arif (Dow University of Health Sciences) ;
- Khan, Fazal (Dow University of Health Sciences) ;
- Chagani, Bilawal (Dow University of Health Sciences) ;
- Khuwaja, Ali Khan (Department of Family Medicine, The Aga Khan University) ;
- Majid, Syed (Dow University of Health Sciences) ;
- Hashmi, Syed (Dow University of Health Sciences) ;
- Nanji, Kashmira (Medical College-The Aga Khan University) ;
- Valliani, Salimah (Medical College-The Aga Khan University)
- Published : 2013.01.31
Background: It is known that blood group antigens are related to the development of peptic ulcer and gastric carcinoma. Infections due to H. pylori are most widespread among the developing regions due to poor standard of public health. This study sought to determine the association of H. pylori with ABO blood groups, age, gender, and smoking status among inpatients at a public sector hospital in Karachi. Materials and Methods: A cross-sectional study was conducted at endoscopy suite at a public sector hospital in Karachi in the year 2011. All the symptomatic patients coming for upper GIT endoscopy were included in this study. Results: Biopsy for histopathology was taken from 93 patients, with an age range from 15-65 years. Age group of 15 to 20 years was found to be associated with H. pylori infection but without significance (p-value 0.83). In all, 36 (38.7%) turned out to be H. pylori positive with a significant male preponderance (p=0.04). Distribution of ABO blood groups in H. pylori positive group were A=31.4%, B=15.4%, AB=25.0% and O=53.7%, with a statistically significant link for blood group O (p=0.05). Rhesus factor was also compared but significant relationship was evident (p-value 0.73). Conclusions: This study demonstrated that H. pylori infection can be related to ABO blood group, middle age persons and male gender. People of blood group O are more prone to develop infection related gastritis, ulcers, and even perforations, so they should be more cautious against transmission of the bacterium.
- Jafarzadeh A, Ahmedi-Kahanali J, Bahrami M, et al (2007). Seroprevalence of anti-Helicobacter pylori and anti-CagA antibodies among healthy children according to age, sex, ABO blood groups and Rh status in south-east of Iran. Turk J Gastroenterol, 18, 165-71.
- Jing C, Huang ZJ, Duan YQ, et al (2012). Glulathione-stransferases gene polymorphism in prediction of gastric cancer risk by smoking and helicobacter pylori infection status. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3325-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.7.3325
- Kanbay M, Gur G, Arslan H, et al (2005). The relationship of ABO blood group, age, gender, smoking, and Helicobacter pylori infection. Dig Dis Sci, 50, 1214-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10620-005-2762-y
- Martins LC, de Oliveira Corvelo TC, Oti HT, et al (2006). ABH and Lewis antigen distributions in blood, saliva and gastric mucosa and H pylori infection in gastric ulcer patients. World J Gastroenterol, 12, 1120-4.
- Mbulaiteye SM, Hisada M, El-Omar EM (2009). Helicobacter pylori associated global gastric cancer burden. Front Biosci, 14, 1490-504.
- Moayyedi P, Axon AT, Feltbolwer R, et al (2002). Relation of adult lifestyle and socioeconomic factors to the prevalence of Helicobacter pylori infection. Int J Epidemiol, 31, 624-31. https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/31.3.624
- Moges F, Kassu A, Mengistu G, et al (2006). Seroprevalence of Helicobacter pylori in dyspeptic patients and its relationship with HIV infection, ABO blood groups and life style in a university hospital, Northwest Ethiopia. World J Gastroenterol, 12, 1957-61.
- Sasidharan S, Uyub AM (2009). Prevalence of Helicobacter pylori infection among asymptomatic healthy blood donors in Northern Peninsular Malaysia. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg, 103, 395-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trstmh.2008.11.021
- Valliani A, Ahmed B, Nanji K, et al (2012). Use of Smoke-less Tobacco Amongst the Staff of Tertiary Care Hospitals in the Largest City of Pakistan. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 2315-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.5.2315
- Wu TC, Chen LK, Hwang SJ (2003). Seroprevalence of Helicobacter pylori in school-aged Chinese in Taipei City and relationship between ABO blood groups. World J Gastroenterol, 9, 1752-5.
- Yei CJ, Chang JG, Shih MC, et al (2005). Lewis blood genotypes of peptic ulcer and gastric cancer patients in Taiwan. World J Gastroenterol, 11, 4891-4.
- Zhong C, Li NK, Bi JW, et al (2012). Sodium intake, salt taste and gastric cancer risk according to helicobacter pylori infection, smoking, histological type and tumor site in China. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 2481-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.6.2481
- Alkout AM, Blackwell CC, Weir DM (2000). Increased inflammatory responses of persons of blood groups O to Helicobacter pylori. J Infect Dis, 181, 1364-9. https://doi.org/10.1086/315375
- Bhuiyan, TR, Qadri F, Saha A, et al (2009). Infection by Helicobacter pylori in Bangladeshi children from birth to two years: relation to blood group, nutritional status, and seasonality. Pediatr Infect Dis J, 28, 79-85. https://doi.org/10.1097/INF.0b013e31818a5d9d
- Celinski K, Kurzeja-Mirosław A, Słomka M, et al (2006). The effects of environmental factors on the prevalence of Helicobacter pylori infection in inhabitants of Lublin Province. Ann Agric Environ Med, 13, 185-91.
- Dojo M, Azuma J, Saito T, (2003). Effects of CYP2C19 gene polymorphism on cure rates for Helicobacter pyloriinfection by triple therapy with proton pump inhibitor (omeprazole or rabeprazole), amoxycillin and clarithromycin in Japan. Digest Liver Dis, 33, 671-5.
- Correlation of Endoscopic Findings with Various <i>Helicobacter pylori</i> Tests among Dyspeptic Patients vol.05, pp.19, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4236/ijcm.2014.519151
- Clinical significance of Helicobacter pylori infection in patients with acute coronary syndromes: an overview of current evidence vol.103, pp.11, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00392-014-0720-4
- Prevalence and Risk Factors of H. pylori from Dyspeptic Patients in Northwest Ethiopia: A Hospital Based Cross-sectional Study vol.15, pp.11, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.11.4459
- Evaluation of the Atlas Helicobacter pylori Stool Antigen Test for Diagnosis of Infection in Adult Patients vol.15, pp.13, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.13.5245
- Virulence Genes of Helicobacter pylori in Gastritis, Peptic Ulcer and Gastric Cancer in Laos vol.15, pp.20, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.20.9027
- Reliability of Stool Antigen Tests: Investigation of the Diagnostic Value of a New Immunochromatographic Helicobacter pylori Approach in Dyspeptic Patients vol.16, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.2.657