- Volume 14 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Salivary Gland Tumors: A Clinicopathologic Study of 366 Cases in Southern Iran
- Jaafari-Ashkavandi, Zohreh (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, School of Dentistry, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Ashraf, Mohammad-Javad (Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Moshaverinia, Maryam (Department of Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2013.01.31
Background: Salivary gland tumors (SGT) are one of the most complex human neoplasms, demonstrating variations in their clinicopathological profile related to racial and geographic differences. Few studies with large samples have been reported in Iran. We here investigated a large group of patients in southern Iran. Materials and Methods: In this retrospective study, all cases of primary epithelial salivary gland tumors, which had been recorded in a 5 years period from 2005-2009, were enrolled. Clinical data such as histopathologic type and site of the lesion as well as patients' age and gender were analyzed. Results: Data of 366 cases of SGTs were recorded. Pleomorphic adenoma (80.2%) and adenoid cystic carcinoma (46.6%) were the most common benign and malignant neoplasms. Male to female ratio (M/F) and the mean age of patients were 1:1.05 and 37.7 for benign tumors while they were 1.2:1 and 50.6 for malignant tumors, respectively. Parotid and minor salivary glands were involved more frequently. Conclusions: Although the salivary gland tumours encountered were similar in most of their characteristics to those reported in other countries, some differences such as relative frequency and age and gender prevalence were discovered. These findings should help surgeons and pathologists for more accurate diagnosis, management and treatment.
- Rahrotaban S, Masoomi P, Moradi M, et al (2009). Frequency of salivary gland tumors in two referral center of Qazvin university of Medical sciences from 1999-2009. J Res Dent Sci, 2, 27-31.
- Satko I, Stanko P, Longauerova I (2000). Salivary gland tumors treated in the stomatological clinics in Bratislava. J Craniomaxillofac Surg, 28, 56-61. https://doi.org/10.1054/jcms.1999.0092
- Shishegar M, Ashraf MJ, Azarpira N, et al (2011). Salivary gland tumors in maxillofacial region: a retrospective study of 130 cases in a southern Iranian population. Patholog Res Int, 50, 1-5.
- Spiro RH (1986). Salivary neoplasms: overview of a 35-year experience with 2807 patients. Head Neck Surg, 8, 177-84. https://doi.org/10.1002/hed.2890080309
- Subhashraj K (2008). Salivary gland tumors: a single institution experience in India. Br J Oral and Maxillofac Surg, 46, 635-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bjoms.2008.03.020
- Tilakaratne WM, Jayasooriya PR, Tennakoon TM, et al (2009). Epithelial salivary tumors in Sri Lanka: a retrospective study of 713 cases. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod, 108, 90-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tripleo.2009.01.026
- Vaidya AD, Pantvaidya GH, Metgudmath R, et al (2012). Salivary gland tumors of the oral cavity: a case series with review of literature. Cancer Res Ther, 8, 111-5.
- Valizadeh Y, Mohagheghi MA (1995). Review of 103 cases of minor salivary gland tumors. Acta Medica Iranica, 33, 22-6.
- Vargas PA, Gerhard R, Aranjo Filho VJ, et al (2002). Salivary gland tumors in Brazilian population: a retrospective study of 124 cases. Rev Hosp Clin Fac Sao Paulo, 57, 271-6.
- Vuhahula EA (2004). Salivary gland tumors in Uganda: clinical pathological study. Afr Health Sci, 4, 15-23.
- Yih WY, Kratochvil FJ, Stewart JC (2005). Intraoral minor salivary gland neoplasms: review of 213 cases. J Oral Maxillofac Surg, 63, 805-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joms.2005.02.021
- Buchner A, Merrell PW, Carpenter WM (2007). Relative frequency of intra-oral minor salivary gland tumors: a study of 380 cases from northern California and comparison to reports from other parts of the world. J Oral Pathol Med, 36, 207-14. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0714.2007.00522.x
- Daneshvar S, I Moshref M, Eshghyar N, et al (2011). Intra-oral minor salivary gland tumors: a Clinicopathological Study of 412 cases. 89th General Session and Exhibition of the IADR, San Diego Convention Center, California, USA, March 17.
- Dardick I, Burford-Mason AP, Garlick DS, et al (1992). The pathobiology of salivary gland.II. Morphological evaluation of acinic cell carcinomas in the parotid gland of male transgenic (MMTV/v-Ha-ras) mice as a model for human tumors. Virch Arch A Pathol Anat, 421, 105-13. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01607042
- Hashemi P, Zarei MR, Chamani G, et al (2007). Malignant salivary glands tumors in Kerman province: a retrospective study. Dent Re J, 4, 4-10.
- Ito FA, Ito K, Vargas PA, et al (2005). Salivary gland tumors in Brazillian population: a retrospective study of 496 cases. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg, 34, 533-6 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijom.2005.02.005
- Jones AV, Craig GT, Speight PM, et al (2008). The range and demographics of salivary gland tumors diagnosed in a UK population. Oral Oncol, 44, 407-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2007.05.010
- Kayembe MK, Kalengayi MM (2002). Salivary gland tumours in Congo (Zaire). Odontostomatol Trop, 25, 19-22.
- Khalili M, Salamat F (2009). A 20-year retrospective study of salivary gland adenoid cystic carcinoma in a sample of Iranian patients. J Dent of Tehran Univ of Med Sci, 6, 1-5.
- Li LJ, Li Y, Wen YM, et al (2008). Clinical analysis of salivary gland tumor in West China in past 50 years. Oral Oncol, 44, 187-92 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2007.01.016
- Licitra L, Grandi C, Prott FJ, et al (2003). Major and minor salivary glands tumours. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol, 45, 215-25. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1040-8428(02)00005-7
- Lima SS, Soares AF, de Amoriom RF, et al (2005). Epidemiologic profile of Salivary gland tumors: analysis of 245 cases. Braz J Otorrinolaringol, 71, 335-40. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0034-72992005000300012
- Luukkaa H, Klemi P, Leivo I, et al (2005). Salivary gland cancer in Finland 1991-96: an evaluation of 237 cases. Acta Otolaryngol, 125, 207-14. https://doi.org/10.1080/00016480510003174
- Maaita JK, Al-Kaisi N, Al-Tamimi, et al (1999). A. Salivary gland tumors in Jordan: a retrospective study of 221 patients. Croat Med J, 40, 539-42.
- Monk JS Jr, Church JS (1992). Warthin's tumor: a high incidence and no sex predominance in Central Pennsylvania. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 118, 477-88. https://doi.org/10.1001/archotol.1992.01880050023004
- Otoh EC, Johnson NW, Olasoji H, et al (2005). Salivary gland neoplasm's in Maiduguri, north-eastern Nigeria. Oral Dis, 11, 386-91 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1601-0825.2005.01137.x
- Pires FR, Pringle GA, de Almeida OP, et al (2007). Intra-oral minor salivary gland tumors: a clinicopathological study of 546 cases. Oral Oncol, 43, 463-70. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2006.04.008
- Poulsen P, Jorgensen K, Grontved A (1987). Benign and malignant neoplasms of the parotid gland: incidence and histology in the Danish county of Funen. Laryngoscope, 97, 102-4.
- Al-Khateeb TH, Ababneh KT(2007). Salivary tumors in north Jordanians: a descriptive study. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod, 103, 53-9.
- Ansari M (2007). Salivary gland tumors in an Iranian population: a retrospective study of 130 cases. J Oral Maxillofac Surg, 65, 2187-94. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joms.2006.11.025
- Atarbashi-Moghadam S, Atarbashi-Moghadam F, Dadfar M (2010). Epithelial salivary gland tumors in Ahvaz, Southwest of Iran. J Dent Res Dent Clin Dent Prospect, 4, 120-3.
- Influence of Ribosomal Protein L39-L in the Drug Resistance Mechanisms of Lacrimal Gland Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma Cells vol.15, pp.12, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.12.4995
- Histopathological Diversity in Parotidectomy Materials in Turkish Population: Clinicopathologic Analysis and Demographic Features of 136 Cases in a Tertiary Care Hospital vol.15, pp.14, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.14.5701
- Ten Year Experience with Surgery and Radiation in the Management of Malignant Major Salivary Gland Tumors vol.15, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.5.2195
- Retrospective study of oral and maxillofacial lesions in older Taiwanese patients vol.32, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1111/ger.12118
- Parotid Gland Tumours in Turkish Population: Analysis of 165 Patients vol.16, pp.8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.8.3539
- Helper and cytotoxic T-cell subsets (Th1, Th2, Tc1, and Tc2) in benign and malignant salivary gland tumors vol.22, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/odi.12496
- Caveolin-1 overexpression in benign and malignant salivary gland tumors vol.37, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-015-3968-z