- Volume 14 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Area-to-Area Poisson Kriging Analysis of Mapping of County-Level Esophageal Cancer Incidence Rates in Iran
- Asmarian, Naeimeh Sadat (Department of Biostatistics, School of Paramedicine, Safety and Environment, Shahid Beheshti University of medical Sciences) ;
- Ruzitalab, Ahmad (Department of Applied Mathematics, School of mathematic Sciences, Ferdowsi University of mashhad) ;
- Amir, Kavousi (Department of Sciences, School of Health, Safety and Environment, Shahid Beheshti University of medical Sciences) ;
- Masoud, Salehi (Department of Statistics and Mathematics, School of Health Management and Information Sciences, Member of Health Management and Economics Research Center, Tehran University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Mahaki, Behzad (Department of Biostatistics, School of Public Health, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2013.01.31
Background: Esophagus cancer, the third most common gastrointestinal cancer overall, demonstrates high incidence in parts of Iran. The counties of Iran vary in size, shape and population size. The aim of this study was to account for spatial support with Area-to-Area (ATA) Poisson Kriging to increase precision of parameter estimates and yield correct variance and create maps of disease rates. Materials and Methods: This study involved application/ecology methodology, illustrated using esophagus cancer data recorded by the Ministry of Health and Medical Education (in the Non-infectious Diseases Management Center) of Iran. The analysis focused on the 336 counties over the years 2003-2007. ATA was used for estimating the parameters of the map with SpaceStat and ArcGIS9.3 software for analysing the data and drawing maps. Results: Northern counties of Iran have high risk estimation. The ATA Poisson Kriging approach yielded variance increase in large sparsely populated counties. So, central counties had the most prediction variance. Conclusions: The ATAPoisson kriging approach is recommended for estimating parameters of disease mapping since this method accounts for spatial support and patterns in irregular spatial areas. The results demonstrate that the counties in provinces Ardebil, Mazandaran and Kordestan have higher risk than other counties.
- Iran Non-communicable Diseases Risk Factors Surveillance (2010). Provincial report, Islamic Republic of Iran-2007. Ministry of Health and Medical Education, Deputy for Health. Center for Diseases Control and Management. Tehran.
- Goovaerts P (2005). Geostatistical analysis of disease data: estimation of cancer mortality risk from empirical frequencies using Poisson kriging. Int J Hlth Geogr, 4, 31. https://doi.org/10.1186/1476-072X-4-31
- Goovaerts P (2006). Geostatistical analysis of disease data: accounting for spatial support and population density in the isopleth mapping of cancer mortality risk using area-to-point Poisson kriging. Int J Hlth Geogr, 5, 52. https://doi.org/10.1186/1476-072X-5-52
- Kaiser MS, N Cressie (1997). Modeling Poisson variables with positive spatial dependence statistical and probability. Letters, 35, 423-32.
- Kyriakids P (2004). A geostatistical framework for area-to-point spatial interpolation. Geographical Analysis, 36.
- Monestiez P, L Dubroca, E Bonin (2004). Comparison of model based geostatistical methods in ecology: application to fin whales spatial distribution in northwestern Mediterranean Sea. Geostatistics Banff, 2, 777-86.
- Monestiez P, L Dubroca, E Bonin (2006). Geostatistical modelling of spatial distribution of Balaenoptera physalus in the northwestern Mediterranean Sea from sparse count data and heterogeneous observation efforts. Ecological Modelling, 193, 615-28. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolmodel.2005.08.042
- Oliver MA, R Webster, C Lajaunie, KR Muir (1998). Binomial cokriging for estimating and mapping the risk of childhood cancer. IMA J Mathematics Applied in Medicine and Biology, 15, 279-97. https://doi.org/10.1093/imammb/15.3.279
- Iran Cancer Registry Report (2009). Provincial report, Islamic Republic of Iran-2007. Ministry of Health and Medical Education, Deputy for Health. Center for Diseases Control and Management. Tehran.
- Overview of Cancer Registration Research in the Asian Pacific from 2008-2013 vol.14, pp.8, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.8.4461
- Trends of Breast Cancer Incidence in Iran During 2004-2008: A Bayesian Space-time Model vol.15, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.4.1557
- Application of Bayesian Multilevel Space-Time Models to Study Relative Risk of Esophageal Cancer in Iran 2005-2007 at a County Level vol.16, pp.14, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.14.5787
- A spatiotemporal dengue fever early warning model accounting for nonlinear associations with hydrological factors: a Bayesian maximum entropy approach vol.30, pp.8, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00477-016-1328-1
- Risk Prediction Modeling of Sequencing Data Using a Forward Random Field Method vol.6, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1038/srep21120
- Exploring spatial patterns of sudden cardiac arrests in the city of Toronto using Poisson kriging and Hot Spot analyses vol.12, pp.7, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0180721