- Volume 13 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Self-control and Construal Level on Game Addiction
게임이용자의 자기통제와 해석수준이 게임중독에 미치는 영향
- Jang, Ye-Beet (National Research Foundation of Korea, SSK) ;
- Lee, Hye-Rim (Dept. of Digital Culture & Contents, Konkuk University) ;
- Kim, Min-Kyu (Dept. of Cultural Content) ;
- Jeong, Eui-Jun (Dept. of Digital Culture & Contents, Konkuk University) ;
- Ryu, Seoung-Ho (Dept. of Visual Culture, Kangwon National Universtiy)
- 장예빛 (한국연구재단 한국사회과학연구) ;
- 이혜림 (건국대학교 문화콘텐츠학과) ;
- 김민규 (아주대학교 문화콘텐츠학과) ;
- 정의준 (건국대학교 문화콘텐츠학과) ;
- 유승호 (강원대학교 영상문화학과)
- Received : 2013.03.26
- Accepted : 2013.04.17
- Published : 2013.04.20
The current study examined how different level of self-constol and construal level influences game users' game addiction. Also we explored the interaction effect between the individual's self-control and construal level on game addiction. To answer the research questions, we conducted an online survey and total 918 participants were selected for the final analysis. According to the results, users with low level of self-control and low-level construal showed higher level of game addiction. In addition, we found a significant interaction effect between self-control and construal-level on game addiction. In high self-control group, game addiction level was low regardless of level of self-construal. However, in low self-control group, the level of construal-level affected game addiction. We found that construal-level played an important mediating variable. These findings suggest a noble insight for autonomous control in alleviatinggame addiction by changing one's level of self-control and self-construal.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea
- Eui-Jun Jeong & Doo-Hwan Kim, "Social activities, self-efficacy, game attitudes, and game addiction"., Cyber Psychology, Behavior & Social Networking, Vol. 14, No. 4, 2011.
- Gyo-Jeung Kim & Sang-Hyun Suh, "The research on a path-model on adolescent's psychological ; Environmental variables affecting the internet addiction, Studies on Korean Youth, Vol. 17, No. 1, 2006.
- Jong-Won Kim & Ok-Gwi Joo, "The study on the relationship self-control, social and environmental factors and the Internet game addiction of middle and high school students", Vol. 12, No. 2, 2002.
- Young-Ok Nam, "Comparison of internet addiction, internet game addiction and cybersex addiction among middle school students", Journal of Youth and Adolescence Vol. 12, No. 3,. 2005.
- Bo-Kyung Park, Sung-Man Shin & Hye-Joo Lee, "A study on the relationship between types of teen preferred internet game and internet game addiction, parent-adolescent communication, and self-control", The Korean Journal of Health Psychology, Vol. 17 No.3, 659-676, 2012. https://doi.org/10.17315/kjhp.2012.17.3.006
- Hye-Jin Jang & Kyu-Man Chae, "The psychological characteristics of adolescents with technological addiction - cellular phone addiction", Korean Journal of Health Psychology, Vol. 11 No. 4, 2006.
- Sun-Tae Chung, "Effects of the self-control training program on relief of online game addiction, The University of Ulsan, 2001.
- Information Society and Adolescence, Journal of Adolescence Problematic Behavior, 1998.
- Kirk, J. M.& Logue, A. W., "Self-control in adult humans: Effects of counting and timing", Learning and Motivation, 27, 1-20., 1996 https://doi.org/10.1006/lmot.1996.0001
- Thaler, R. H., "Quasi rational economics", New York: Russell Sage Foundation., 1991.
- Trope, Y., & Fishbach, A., "Counteractive self-control in overcoming temptation", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 79, 493-506., 2000. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1993
- Loewenstein, G. F., "Out of control: Visceral influences on behavior", Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 65, 272-292., 1996. https://doi.org/10.1006/obhd.1996.0028
- Fishbach. A. & Trope. Y.(2005). "The substitutability of external control and self-control, Journal of Experimental". Social Psychology, 41(3), 256-270.
- Fujita, K., & Han, H. A., The effect of construal levels on evaluative associations in self-control conflicts. Psychological Science, 20, 799-804., 2009 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9280.2009.02372.x
- Muraven, M., Tice, D. M.& Baumeister, R. F., "Self-control as a limited resource: Regulatory depletion patterns", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 74, 774-789., 1998. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.524
- Muraven, M. & Baumeister, R. F., "Self-regulation and depletion of limited resources: Does self-control resemble a muscle?", Psychological Bulletin, 126, 247-259., 2000. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.126.2.247
- Baumeister, R. F., & Vohs, K. D., Self-Regulation, Ego Depletion, and Motivation. Social and Personality Psychology Compass, 1, 1-14., 2007. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1751-9004.2007.00008.x
- Pocheptsova, Anastasiya, Amir, On, Dhar, Ravi & Roy F. Baumeister, "Deciding without Resources: Psychological Depletion and Choice in Context", Journal of Marketing Research, 46(3), 344-355., 2009. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkr.46.3.344
- Vohs, Kathleen D., Roy F. Baumeister, Brandon J. Schmeichel, Jean M. Twenge, Noelle M. Nelson and Dianne M. Tice, "Making Choices Impairs Subsequent Self-Control: A Limited Resource Account of Decision Making, Self-Regulation, and Active Initiative," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 94(5),883-898., 2008. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2063
- Fujita, K., Henderson, M., Eng, J., Trope, Y., & Liberman, N., Spatial distance and mental construal of social events. Psychological Science, 17, 278-2282., 2006. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9280.2006.01698.x
- Liberman, N., & Trope, Y.. The role of feasibility and desirability considerations in near and distant future decisions: A test of temporal construal theory. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 75, 5-518., 1998. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.11
- Trope, Y., & Liberman, N., Temporal construal and time-dependent changes in preference. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 79, 876-89., 2000. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1686
- Trope, Y., & Liberman, N., Temporal construal. Psychological Review, 110, 403-21., 2003 https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.110.3.403
- Trope, Y., Liberman, N., & Wakslak, C. J., Construal levels and psychological distance: Effects on representation, prediction, evaluation, and behavior. Journal of Consumer Psychology, 17, 83-5., 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1057-7408(07)70013-X
- Trope, Y & Liberman, N., "Construal-Level Theory of Psychological Distance", Psychological Review, 117(2): 440-463., 2010 https://doi.org/10.1037/a0018963
- Semin, G. R., & Fiedler, K., The cognitive functions of linguistic categories in describing persons: Social cognition and language. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 54, 558-68., 1988. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1248
- Trope, Y., Identification and inferential processes in dispositional attribution. Psychological Review, 93, 239-57., 1986 https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.93.3.239
- Trope, Y., Levels of inference in dispositional judgment. Social Cognition, 7, 296-14., 1989. https://doi.org/10.1521/soco.19126.96.36.1996
- Wakslak, C., Trope, Y., & Liberman, N., Seeing the forest when entry is unlikely: Probability and the mental representation of events. Journal o f Experimental Psychology: General, 135, 641-53., 2006. https://doi.org/10.1037/0096-34188.8.131.521
- Alexander Todorov, Amir Goren and Yaacov Trope, "Probability as a psychological distance: Construal and preferences", Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 43(3), 473-482., 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jesp.2006.04.002
- Smith, P. K., & Trope, Y., You focus on the forest when you're in charge of the trees: Power priming and abstract information processing. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 90, 578-96., 2006. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2068
- Liviatan, I., Trope, Y., and Liberman, N., "Interpersonal Similarity as a Social Distance Dimension: Implications for Perception of Others' Actions," Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 44, 1256-1269., 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jesp.2008.04.007
- Vallacher, Robin R., Wegner, Daniel M., "Levels of personal agency: Individual variation in action identification.", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol 57(4), Oct 1989, 660-671., 1989. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.110
- Tangney JP, Baumeister RF, Boone AL. High self-control predicts good adjustment, less pathology, better grades, and interpersonal success. Journal of Personality, 72:271-322., 2004. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0022-3506.2004.00263.x
- Young K. S., "Caught in the Net: How to recognize the signs of internet addiction and a winning strategy for recovery", New York : John wiley & Sons., 1998.