- Volume 14 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Static and Dynamic Instability Characteristics of Thin Plate like Beam with Internal Flaw Subjected to In-plane Harmonic Load
- R, Rahul. (Dept. of Aerospace Engineering, IIT Kharagpur) ;
- Datta, P.K. (Dept. of Aerospace Engineering, IIT Kharagpur)
- Received : 2012.11.15
- Accepted : 2013.02.28
- Published : 2013.03.30
This paper deals with the study of buckling, vibration, and parametric instability characteristics in a damaged cross-ply and angle-ply laminated plate like beam under in-plane harmonic loading, using the finite element approach. Damage is modelled using an anisotropic damage formulation, based on the concept of reduction in stiffness. The effect of damage on free vibration and buckling characteristics of a thin plate like beam has been studied. It has been observed that damage shows a strong orthogonality and in general deteriorates the static and dynamic characteristics. For the harmonic type of loading, analysis was carried out on a thin plate like beam by solving the governing differential equation which is of Mathieu-Hill type, using the method of multiple scales (MMS). The effects of damage and its location on dynamic stability characteristics have been presented. The results indicate that, compared to the undamaged plate like beam, heavily damaged beams show steeper deviations in simple and combination resonance characteristics.
- Abdelrahman, W. and Nayfeh, A. "Stress transfer and stiffness reduction in orthogonally cracked laminates," Mechanics of Materials, Vol. 31, No. 5, 1999, pp. 303-316. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6636(99)00002-2
- Bolotin, V., The Dynamic Stability of Elastic Systems, Holden Day, San Francisco, California, 1964.
- Goyal, V. K., and Kapania, R. K., "A shear-deformable beam element for the analysis of laminated composites," Finite Elements in Analysis and Design, Vol. 43, No. 6, 2007, pp. 463-477. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.finel.2006.11.011
- Hutt, J. M., and Salam, A. E., "Dynamic stability of plates by finite elements," Journal of Engineering Mechanics, ASCE, Vol. 97, No. 3, 1971, pp. 879-899.
- Kim, J., and Choo, Y., "Dynamic stability of rectangular plates subjected to pulsating follower forces," American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics Journal, Vol. 38, No. 4, 2000, pp. 353-361. https://doi.org/10.2514/2.964
- Ladeveze, P., and LeDantec, E., "Damage modelling of the elementary ply for laminated composites," Composites Science and Technology, Vol. 43, No. 3, 1992, pp. 257-267. https://doi.org/10.1016/0266-3538(92)90097-M
- Maiti, D. K., and Sinha, P., "Bending and free vibration analysis of shear deformable laminated composite beams by finite element method," Composite Structures, Vol. 29, No. 4, 1994, pp. 421 - 431. https://doi.org/10.1016/0263-8223(94)90111-2
- Moorthy, J., Reddy, J., and Plaut, R., "Parametric instability of laminated composite plates with transverse shear deformation," International Journal of Solids and Structures, Vol. 26, No.7, 1990, pp. 801-811. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7683(90)90008-J
- Murari, V., and Upadhyay, C., "Towards a generalized macro-level damage model for unidirectional composites," Advanced Materials Research, Vol. 47, 2008, pp. 869-872.
- Nayfeh, A., Introduction to Perturbation Techniques, Wiley-Interscience, New York, 1981.
- Pidaparti, R., "Free vibration and flutter of damaged composite panels," Composite Structures, Vol. 38, No.1-4, 1997, pp. 477-481. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-8223(97)00082-2
- Prabhakara, D., and Datta, P. K., "Parametric instability characteristics of rectangular plates with localized damage subjected to in-plane periodic load," Structural Engineering Review, Vol. 1, No. 1, 1993, pp. 71-79.
- Reddy, J., "A simple higher-order theory for laminated composite plates," Journal of Applied Mechanics, Vol. 51, No. 1, 1984, pp. 745-752. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3167719
- Reddy, J., An Introduction to the Finite Element Method, McGraw-Hill, Singapore, 2nd edition, 1984.
- Sahu, S., and Datta, P., "Research advances in the dynamic stability behaviour of plates and shells: 1987-2005; Part 1: Conservative systems," Applied Mechanics Reviews, ASME, Vol. 60, 2007, pp. 65-75. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2515580
- Talreja, R., "A continuum mechanics characterization of damage in composite materials," Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series A, Mathematical and Physical Sciences, Vol. 399, No. 1817, 1985, pp. 195-216. https://doi.org/10.1098/rspa.1985.0055
- Udar, R. S., and Datta, P. K., "Dynamic analysis of parametrically excited laminated composite curved panels under non-uniform edge loading with damping," Composite Structures, Vol. 79, No. 3, 2007, pp. 356 - 368. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2006.01.013
- Valliappan, S., Murti, V., and Wohua, Z., "Finite element analysis of anisotropic damage mechanics problems," Engineering Fracture Mechanics, Vol. 35, No. 6, 1990, pp. 1061 - 1071. https://doi.org/10.1016/0013-7944(90)90134-3
- Voyiadjis, G. Z., "Dynamic stability of plates by finite elements," Continuum Damage Mechanics, Handbook of Materials Modeling, 2005, pp. 1183-1192.
- Buckling load enhancement of damaged composite plates under hygrothermal environment using unified particle swarm optimization vol.55, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00158-016-1498-y