- Volume 4 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Cover Requirements for Corrugated HDPE and PVC Pipes Used for Cross-drains in Highway Construction
고속도로 하부 횡단 배수시설로 사용되는 파형 플래스틱 관의 덮개 요건
- Kang, Junsuk (Department of Civil Engineering and Construction Management, Georgia Southern University) ;
- Davidson, James S. (Department of Civil Engineering, Auburn University) ;
- Lim, Jeong-Hyeon (School of Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering, Korea University) ;
- Kang, Young Jong (School of Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering, Korea University)
- Received : 2013.01.14
- Accepted : 2013.02.18
- Published : 2013.03.31
This project investigated the use of two types of thermoplastic pipes, High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE) and Poly-vinyl Chloride (PVC), as cross-drains under highways. Pipes ranging from 0.3 m (12 in.) to 1.5 m (60 in.) in diameter were evaluated under deep fills, minimum cover, and construction loads. In addition to a comprehensive literature review, an analytical study into the allowable fill heights for thermoplastic pipes and a field study to observe the installation and performance of the pipe in service conditions were conducted. Based on the study findings, recommendations regarding how and when thermoplastic pipe should be installed are provided.
- AASHTO LRFD. (2007). Bridge design specifications. 4th ed. Washington, D.C., AASHTO.
- AASHTO. (2002). Standard Specifications for Transportation Materials and Methods of Sampling and Testing. 22nd ed. Washington, D.C.
- ABAQUS. (2011). Standard User's Manual Version 6.11. Pawtucket, RI: Hibbit, Karlsson & Sorensen, Inc.
- American Water Works Association (AWWA). (2002). PVC Pipe - Design and Installation. AWWA Manual M23: 2nd Ed.
- Ardani, A., Mallela, J., and Wyatt, T. (2006). High Density Polyethylene Pipe Fill Height Table in Arizona. Final Report 621. Prepared for Arizona Department of Transportation.
- Arockiasamy, M., Chaallal, O., and Limpeteeprakarn, T. (2006). "Full-Scale Field Tests on Flexible Pipes under Live Load Application." Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 21-27. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0887-3828(2006)20:1(21)
- Arockiasamy, M., Chaallal, O., Limpeteeprakarn, T., and Wang, T. (2004). Experimental and analytical evaluation of flexible pipes for culverts and storm sewers, Vol. III: Field experimental work and numerical analysis, Contract No. BC-775, Florida Department of Transportation.
- Duncan, J. M. and Chang, C. Y. (1970). "Nonlinear Analysis of Stress and Strain on Soils." Journal of Soil Mechanics and Foundation Division, Vol. 96 (SM5): pp. 1629-1653.
- FHWA broadens allowable pipe choices. (2006). CENEWS.com, http://www.cenews.com/news-fhwa_broadens_allowable_pipe_choices-110.html.
- Gabriel, L. H. and Goddard, J. R. (1999). "Curved-Beam Stiffness for Thermoplastic Gravity-Flow Drainage Pipes. In Transportation Research Record." Journal of the Transportation Research Board, No.1656, TRB, National Research Council, pp. 51-57.
- Gabriel, L. H. (2010). "The Complete Corrugated Polyethylene Pipe Design Manual and Installation Guide." Plastics Pipe Institute (PPI).
- Gassman, S. L., Schroeder, A. J., and Ray, R. P. (2005). "Field Performance of High Density Polyethylene Culvert Pipe." Journal of Transportation Engineering, Vol. 131, No. 2, pp. 160-167. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-947X(2005)131:2(160)
- Goddard, J. B. (1994). Plastic Pipe Design. Technical Report 4. 103, ADS Specification Manual, Advanced Drainage systems, Inc., Columbus, OH.
- Jeyapalan, J. K. and Boldon, B. A. (1986). "Performance and Selection of Rigid and Flexible Pipes." Journal of Transportation Engineering, 112(5), pp. 507-524. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-947X(1986)112:5(507)
- Kang, J. S., Han, T., Kang, Y. J., and Yoo, C. H. (2009). "Short-term and long-term behaviors of buried corrugated high-density polyethylene (HDPE) pipes." Composites: Part B, Vol. 40, pp. 404-412.
- Kang, J., Parker, F., and Yoo, C. (2007). "Soil-structure interaction and imperfect trench installations for deeply buried corrugated PVC pipes. In Transportation Research Record." Journal of the Transportation Research Board, No.2028, TRB, National Research Council, pp. 192-202.
- Kang, J., Stuart, S., and Davidson, J. (2013). "Analytical evaluation of maximum cover limits for thermoplastic pipes used in highway construction." Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, Vol. 9, No. 7, pp. 667-674. https://doi.org/10.1080/15732479.2011.604090
- Kang, J., Stuart, S., and Davidson, J. (2013). Analytical study of minimum cover requirements for thermoplastic pipes used in highway construction. Published online (DOI: 10.1080/15732479.2012.754478), Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, Jan 2013. https://doi.org/10.1080/15732479.2012.754478
- Moser, A. P. (2001). Buried Pipe Design. 2nd ed. New York: McGraw-Hill,.
- NCHRP. (2008). Report 619: Modernize and Upgrade CANDE for Analysis and LRFD Design of Buried Structures. Washington, D.C., National Cooperative Highway Research Program, TRB.
- NCHRP. (2009). Report 631: Updated Test and Design Methods for Thermoplastic Drainage Pipe. Washington, D.C., National Cooperative Highway Research Program, TRB.
- Normann, J. M., Houghtalen, R. J., and Johnston,W. J. (2001). Hydraulic Design of Highway Culverts. 2nd ed. FHWA-NHI-01-020. HDS No. 5.
- Performance Pipe (PP). (2003). PE pressure water piping systems mechanical restraint and Poisson's effects. Technical Note 813-TN; Plano, Tex.
- Plastics Pipe Institute (PPI). (2003). Design service life of corrugated HDPE pipe. Technical Report TR-43; Irving, Tex.
- Sargand, S. M., Masada, T. White, K., and Altarawneh, B.(2002). "Profile-Wall High-Density Polyethylene Pipes 1050 mm in Diameter Under Deep Soil Cover: Comparisons of Field Performance Data and Analytical Predictions. In Transportation Research Record." Journal of the Transportation Research Board, No.1814, TRB, National Research Council, pp. 186-196.
- Selig, E. T. (1988). "Soil parameters for design of buried pipelines." Pipeline Infrastructure: Proceedings of the Pipeline Infrastructure Conference. New York: ASCE, pp. 99-116.
- Stuart, S. J. (2011). Evaluation of HDPE and PVC Pipes Used for Cross-drains in Highway Construction. Master's thesis, Dept. of Civil Engineering, Auburn Univ., Ala.
- Uni-Bell PVC Pipe Association. (2001). Handbook of PVC Pipe Design and Construction. 4th ed. Tex.