- Volume 40 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of Dietary Supplementation of Bacteriophage on Growth Performance, Nutrient Digestibility, Blood Profiles, Carcass Characteristics and Fecal Microflora in Broilers
육계 사료 내 Bacteriophage의 첨가가 생산성, 영양소 소화율, 혈액 특성, 도체 특성 및 분내 미생물 조성에 미치는 영향
- Kim, Seung Cheol (Department of Animal Resource and Science, Dankook University) ;
- Kim, Jae Won (BIO Business Unit, CJ Cheil Jedang Corp.) ;
- Kim, Jung Un (BIO Business Unit, CJ Cheil Jedang Corp.) ;
- Kim, In Ho (Department of Animal Resource and Science, Dankook University)
- Received : 2013.02.25
- Accepted : 2013.03.25
- Published : 2013.03.31
This experiment was conducted to investigate the effects of bacteriophage SE supplementation on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, blood profiles, visceral organ weight, meat quality and excreta microflora in broilers. A total of 340 1-d-old ROSS 308 broilers (mixed gender) with an initial average body weight (BW) of
- AOAC 2000 Official Methods of Analysis. 17th ed. Assoc. Anal. Chem., Arlington, VA.
- Barbut S 1993 Colour measurements for evaluating the pale soft exudative (PSE) occurrence in turkey meat. Food Res Intl 26:39-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/0963-9969(93)90103-P
- Barrow P, Lovell M, Berchieri Jr A 1998 Use of lytic bacteriophage for control of experimental Escherichia coli septicemia and meningitis in chickens and calves. Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 5:294-298.
- Bouton PE, Carroll FD, Harris PV, Shorthose WR 1973 Influence of pH and fiber contraction state upon factors affecring the tenderness of bovine muscle. J Food Sci 38: 404-409. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1973.tb01440.x
- Cairns BJ, Timms AR, Jansen VAA, Connerton IF, Payne RJH 2009 Quantitative models of in vitro bacteriophagehost dynamics and their application to phage therapy. PLOS Pathogens 5:1-10.
- d'Herelle F 1917 Sur un microbe invisible antagonists des bacilles dysenteriques. C R Acad Sci Paris 165:373-375.
- Duncan DB 1955 Multiple range and multiple F test. Biomertics 11:1-42. https://doi.org/10.2307/3001478
- Froning GW, Babji AS, Mather FB 1978 The effect of preslaughter temperature, stress, struggle and anesthetization on color and textural characteristic of turkey muscle. Poultry Sci 57:630-633. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0570630
- Garcia P, Martínez B, Obeso JM, Rodriguez A 2008 Bacteriophages and their appli-cation in food safety. Letters in Applied Microbiology 47:479-485. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1472-765X.2008.02458.x
- Gebru E, Lee JS, Son JC, Yang SY, Shin SA, Kim B, Kim MK, Park SC 2010 Effect of probiotics, bacteriophage, or organic acid supplemented feeds or fermented soybean meal on the growth performance, acute phase response, and bacterial shedding of grower pig challenged with Salmonella enteric serotype Typhimurium. J Anim Sci 88 :3880-3886. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2010-2939
- Hofmann K, Hamm R, Bltichel E 1982 Neues iiber die bestimmung der wasserbindung des fleisches mit hilfe der filterpapierprebmethode. Fleischwirtsch. 62:87-92.
- Housby JN, Mann NH 2009 Phage therapy. Drug Discovery Today 14:536-540. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drudis.2009.03.006
- Johnson RP, Gyles CL, Huff WE, Ojha S, Huff GR, Rath NC, Donoghue AM 2008. Bacteriophages for prophylaxis and therapy in cattle, poultry and pigs. Animal Health Research Reviews 9: 201-215. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1466252308001576
- Jamalludeen N, Johnson RP, Shewen PE, Gyles CL 2009 Evaluation of bacteriphages for prevention and treatment of diarrhea due to experimental enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli O149 infection of pigs. Vet Microbiol 136:135- 141. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vetmic.2008.10.021
- Kim SJ, Kim JD, Yang SY, Kim NH, Lee CH, Yang DS, Han JH 2011 Evaluation of bacteriophages for prevention and treatment of diarrhea due to experimental enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli K88 infection of weaned piglets. Korean Journal of Veterinary Service 34(4):341-352. https://doi.org/10.7853/kjvs.2011.34.4.341
- Lee N, Harris DL 2001 The effect of bacteriophage treatment as a preharvest intervention strategy to reduce the rapid dissemination of Salmonella typhimurium in pigs. American Association of Swine Veterinarians (AASV) Perry IA pp. 555-557.
- Maniloff J 2002 "Bacteriophages", Encyclopedia of Life Sciences, London: Nature Publishing Group 3:22.
- Mast J, Goddeeris BM 1999 Development of immunocompetence of broiler chickens. Vet Immunol Immunop 70 :245-256. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-2427(99)00079-3
- Nagy B, Fekete PZ 1999 Enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli (ETEC) in farm animal. Vet Res 30:259-284.
- Northcutt JK, Foegeding EA, Edens FW 1994 Water-holding properties of thermally preconditioned chicken breast and leg meat. Poultry Sci 73:308-316. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0730308
- NRC 1994 Nutrient Requirements of Poultry. 9th ed. National Academy Press, Washington DC. USA.
- Rivas LA, Fabricant J 1988 Induction of immuno depression chickens infected with various strains of Marek's disease virus. Avian Dis 32:1-8. https://doi.org/10.2307/1590941
- SAS Institute Inc. 2002 SAS/STAT User's Guide: Version 8.2. SAS Institute, Inc., Cary, North Carolina.
- Smith HW, Huggins MB 1982 Successful treatment of experimental Escherichia coli infections in mice using phage: Its general superiority over antibiotics. J Gen Microbiol 128:307-318.
- Smith HW, Huggins MB 1983 Effectiveness of phages in treating experimental Escherichia coli diarrhoea in calves piglets and lambs. J Gen Microbiol 129:2659-2675.
- Smith HW, Huggins MB, Shaw KM 1987 The control of experimental Escherichia coli diarrhoea in calves by means of bacteriophages. J Gen Microbiol 133:1111-1126.
- Soothill JS 1992 Treatment of experimental infections of mice with bacteriophages. J Med Microbiol 37:258-261. https://doi.org/10.1099/00222615-37-4-258
- Sulakvelidze A, Alavidze Z, Morris Jr JG 2001 Bacteriophage therapy. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 45:649-659. https://doi.org/10.1128/AAC.45.3.649-659.2001
- Trout GR 1988 Techniques for measuring water-binding capacity in muscle foods-A review of methodology. Meat Science 23:235-252.
- Twort FW 1915 An investigation on the nature of ultramicroscopic viruses. Lancet 2:1241-1243.
- Webb NB, Kahlenberg OJ, Naumann HD, Hedrick HB 1967 Biochemical factors affecting beef tenderness. J Food Sci 32:1-6. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1967.tb01945.x
- Yan L, Meng QW, Kim IH 2011a The effects of dietary Houttuynia cordata and Taraxacum officinale extract powder on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, blood characteristics and meat quality in finishing pigs. Livest Sci 141:188-193. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2011.05.017
- Yan L, Lee JH, Meng QW, Kim IH 2011b Evaluation of the anion supplementation on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, blood characteristics and fecal noxious gas content in weaning pigs. J Appl Anim Res 39:36-40. https://doi.org/10.1080/09712119.2011.565568
- Yan L, Meng QW, Kim IH 2012a Effect of an herb extract mixture on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, blood characteristic, and fecal microbial shedding in weaning pigs. Livest Sci 145:189-195. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2012.02.001
- Yan L, Hong SM, Kim IH 2012b Effect of bacteriophage supplementation on the growth performance, nutrient digestibility, blood characteristics, and fecal micro shedding in growing pigs. Asian-Ast J Anim Sci 25(10):1451- 1456. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2012.12253
- Yan L, Wang JP, Kim HJ, Meng QW, Ao X, Hong SM, Kim IH 2010 Influence of essential oil supplementation and diets with different nutrient densities on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, blood characteristics, meat quality and fecal noxious gas content in grower-finisher pigs. Livest Sci 128:115-122. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2009.11.008
- Zhao PY, Baek HY, Kim IH 2012 Effects of bacteriophage supplementation on egg performance, egg quality, excreta microflora, and moisture content in laying hens. Asian- Aust J Anim Sci 25(7):1015-1020. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2012.12026
- 한국양계연구소 2000 실용계의 면역 시스템 평가 분석. 양계연구 129:36-39.
- Alternatives to antibiotics for maximizing growth performance and feed efficiency in poultry: a review vol.18, pp.01, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1017/S1466252316000207
- Effects of Dietary Supplementation of Bacteriophage CP on Growth Performance, Nutrient Digestibility, Blood Profiles, Carcass Characteristics and Fecal Microflora in Broilers vol.40, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5536/KJPS.2013.40.4.283
- Feed additives in broiler diets to produce healthy chickens without in-feed antimicrobial compounds vol.41, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7744/cnujas.2014.41.4.441
- Effects of Bacillus subtilis on Growth Performance and Resistance to Salmonella Infection in Broiler Chickens vol.40, pp.3, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5536/KJPS.2013.40.3.277
- Physiochemical Treatment of Feed and Utilization of Feed Additives to Control Salmonella in Poultry vol.45, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5536/KJPS.2018.45.1.1