- Volume 26 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Quantitative X-ray Diffraction Analysis of Synthetic Mineral Mixtures Including Amorphous Silica using the PONKCS Method
PONKCS 방법을 이용한 비정질 실리카 함유 인공광물혼합시료의 정량 X-선회절 분석
- Received : 2012.12.22
- Accepted : 2013.02.28
- Published : 2013.03.31
X-ray powder diffraction is one of the most powerful techniques for qualitative and quantitative analysis of crystalline compounds. Thus, there exist a number of different methods for quantifying mineral mixtures using X-ray diffraction pattern. We present here the use of Rietveld and PONKCS (partial or no known crystal structure) methods for quantification of amorphous and crystallized mineral phases in synthetic mixtures of standard minerals (amorphous silica, quartz, mullite and corundum). Pawley phase model of amorphous silica was successfully built from the pattern of 100 wt% amorphous silica and internal standard-spiked samples by PONKCS approach. The average of absolute bias for quantities of amorphous silica was 1.85 wt%. The larger bias observed for lower quantities of amorphous silica is probably explained by low intensities of diffraction pattern. Averages of absolute bias for minerals were 0.53 wt% for quartz, 0.87 wt% for mullite and 0.57 wt% for corundum, respectively. The PONKCS approach achieved improved quantitative results compared with classical Rietveld method by using an internal standard.
quantitative X-ray diffraction analysis;Rietveld method;PONKCS method;amorphose silica;mineral mixtures;coal ash
- Son, B.-K., Kim, H.-J., and Ahn, Gi.-O. (2009) Mineral composition of the sediment of Ulleung basin, Korea. Journal of the Mineralogical Society of Korea, 22, 115-127 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Vassilev S.V. and Vassileva C.G. (1996) Occurrence, abundance and origin of minerals in coals and coal ashes. Fuel Processing Technology, 48, 85-106. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-3820(96)01021-1
- Wang, X., Li, J., Hart, R.D., Van Riessen, A., and McDonald, R. (2011) Quantitative X-ray diffraction phase analysis of poorly ordered nontronite clay in nickel laterites. Journal of Applied Crystallography, 44, 902-910. https://doi.org/10.1107/S0021889811027786
- Williams, R.P. and Van Riessen, A. (2010) Determination of the reactive component of fly ashes for geopolymer production using XRF and XRD. Fuel, 89, 3683-3692. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2010.07.031
- Williams, R.P. Hart, R.D., and Van Riessen, A. (2011) Quantification of the extent of reaction of metakaolin-based geopolymers using X-ray diffraction, scanning electron microscopy, and energy-dispersive spectroscopy, Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 94, 2663-2670. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1551-2916.2011.04410.x
- Young, R.A. (1993) The Rietveld Method. IUCr Monographs on Crystallography, Vol. 5, Oxford University Press, 298p.
- Chung, F.H. (1974a) Quantitative Interpretation of X-ray Diffraction Patterns of Mixtures. I. Matrix- Flushing Method for Quantitative Multicomponent Analysis. Journal of Applied Crystallography, 7, 519-525. https://doi.org/10.1107/S0021889874010375
- Chung, F.H. (1974b) Quantitative Interpretation of X-ray Diffraction Patterns of Mixtures. II. Adiabatic Principle of X-ray Diffraction Analysis of Mixtures. Journal of Applied Crystallography, 7, 526-531. https://doi.org/10.1107/S0021889874010387
- Hill, R.J. and Howard, C.J. (1987) Quantitative phase analysis from neutron powder diffraction data using the Rietveld method. Journal of Applied Crystallography, 20, 467-474. https://doi.org/10.1107/S0021889887086199
- Hillier, S. (2003) Quantitative analysis of clay and other minerals in sandstones by X-ray powder diffraction (XRPD). In: Clay Minerals Cements in Sandstones (R.H. Worden and S. Morad, editors). Special Publication 34, International Association of Sedimentologists, 213-251.
- Jones, R.C. (1989) A computer program technique for X-ray diffraction curve fitting/peak decomposition. In: Quantitative Mineral Analysis of Clays. Pevear D.R., and Mumpton F.A. (eds.), cms workshop lectures, 1, The Clay Minerals Society, 39-52.
- Moon, D.H., Cho, H.G., Kim, S.-O., Yi, H.-I., and Do, J.Y. (2009) Quantitative X-ray diffraction analysis of the Gyeonggi bay surface sediments. Journal of the Mineralogical Society of Korea, 22, 279-288 (in Korean with English abstract).
- O'Connor, B.H. and Raven, M.D. (1988) Application of the Rietveld refinement procedure in assaying powdered mixtures. Powder Diffraction, 3, 2-6. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0885715600013026
- Ortiz, A.L., Cumbrera, F.L., Sanchez-Bajo, F., Guiberteau, F., and Caruso, R. (2000) Fundamental Parameters Approach in the Rietveld Method: A Study of the Stability of Results Versus the Accuracy of the Instrumental Profile. Journal of the European Ceramic Society, 20, 1845-1851. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0955-2219(00)00056-X
- Pietersen, H.S., Fraay, A.L.A., and Bijen, J.M. (1989) Reactivity of fly ash at high pH, in fly ash and coal conversion by-products: Characterization, utilization and disposal VI. In: Glasser FP, Day RL, editors. Materials research society symposium proceedings. Materials Research Society, 139.
- Rietveld, H.M. (1969) A profile refinement method for nuclear and magnetic structures. Journal of Applied Crystallography, 2, 65-71. https://doi.org/10.1107/S0021889869006558
- Scarlett, N.V.Y. and Madsen, I.C. (2006) Quantification of phases with partial or no known crystal structures. Powder Diffraction, 21, 278-284. https://doi.org/10.1154/1.2362855
- Scarlett, N.V.Y., Madsen, I.C., and Whittington, B.I. (2008) Time-resolved diffraction studies into the pressure acid leaching of nickel laterite ores: a comparison of laboratory and synchrotron X-ray experiments. Journal of Applied Crystallography, 41, 572-583. https://doi.org/10.1107/S0021889808006894
- Sindhunata, van Deventer, J.S.J., Lukey, G.C., and Xu, H. (2006) Effect of curing temperature and silicate concentration on fly-ash-based geopolymerization. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry, 45, 3559-3568. https://doi.org/10.1021/ie051251p
- Bish, D.L. and Howard, S.A. (1988) Quantitative phase analysis using the Rietveld method. Journal of Applied Crystallography, 21, 86-91. https://doi.org/10.1107/S0021889887009415
- Brouwers, H.J.H. and Van Eijk, R.J. (2002) Fly ash reactivity: extension and application of a shrinking core model and thermodynamic approach. Journal of Materials Science, 37, 2129-2141. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1015206305942
- Cheary, R.W. and Coelho, A. (1992) A fundamental parameters approach to X-ray line-profile fitting. Journal of Applied Crystallography, 25, 109-121. https://doi.org/10.1107/S0021889891010804
- Cho, H.G., Kim, S.-O., Yi, H.-I., and Shin, K.-H. (2011) Mineral distribution in the southeastern Yellow Sea surface sediments; KORDI cruise samples in 2010. Journal of the Mineralogical Society of Korea, 24, 205-216 (in Korean with English abstract). https://doi.org/10.9727/jmsk.2011.24.3.205
- Chon, C.-M., Kim, J.G., and Lee, G.H. (2006) Pyrite content using quantitative X-ray diffraction analysis and its application to prediction of acid rock drainage. Journal of the Mineralogical Society of Korea, 19, 71-80 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Effect of Particle Size and Unburned Carbon Content of Fly Ash from Hadong Power Plant on Compressive Strength of Geopolymers vol.23, pp.9, 2013, https://doi.org/10.3740/MRSK.2013.23.9.510
- Grinding Effects of Coal-Fired Pond Ash on Compressive Strength of Geopolymers vol.23, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7844/kirr.2014.23.6.3
Supported by : 환경부