- Volume 13 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Modeling and Prediction of Electromagnetic Immunity for Integrated Circuits
- Pu, Bo (Dept. of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Sungkyunkwan University) ;
- Kim, Taeho (Dept. of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Sungkyunkwan University) ;
- Kim, SungJun (Dept. of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Sungkyunkwan University) ;
- Kim, SoYoung (Dept. of Semiconductor System Engineering, Sungkyunkwan University) ;
- Nah, Wansoo (Dept. of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Sungkyunkwan University)
- Received : 2012.11.30
- Accepted : 2013.02.22
- Published : 2013.03.31
An equivalent model has been developed to estimate the electromagnetic immunity for integrated circuits under a complex electromagnetic environment. The complete model is based on the characteristics of the equipment and physical configuration of the device under test (DUT) and describes the measurement setup as well as the target integrated circuits under test, the corresponding package, and a specially designed printed circuit board. The advantage of the proposed model is that it can be applied to a SPICE-like simulator and the immunity of the integrated circuits can be easily achieved without costly and time-consuming measurements. After simulation, measurements were performed to verify the accuracy of the equivalent model for immunity prediction. The improvement of measurement accuracy due to the added effect of a bi-directional coupler in the test setup is also addressed.
Electromagnetic Immunity;Integrated Circuits;Modeling;Direct Power Injection
- International Technology Roadmap for Semiconductor. [Online]. Available: http://www.itrs.net/reports. html.
- R. Senthinathan, J. L. Prince, "Simultaneous switching ground noise calculation for packaged CMOS devices," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, vol. 26, no. 11, pp. 1724-1728, Nov. 1991. https://doi.org/10.1109/4.98995
- K. Slattery, J. P. Muccioli, and T. North, "Characterization of the RF emissions from a family of microprocessors using a 1 GHz TEM cell," in Proc. IEEE EMC Symp., Austin, TX, pp. 203-207, 1997.
- B. Vrignon, S. Bendhia, E. Lamoureux, and E. Sicard, "Characterization and modeling of parasitic emission in deep submicron CMOS," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 382-385, May 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEMC.2005.847408
- J. Kim, H. Kim, W. Ryu, and J. Kim, "Effects of onchip and off-chip decoupling capacitors on electromagnetic radiation emission," in Proc. Electron. Compon. Technol. Conf., pp. 610-614, 1998.
- M. P. Robinson, T. M. Benson, C. Christopoulos, J. F. Dawson, M. D. Ganley, A. C. Marvin, S. J. Porter, D. W. P. Thomas, and J. D. Turner, "Effect of logic family on radiated emissions from digital circuits," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 288-293, Aug. 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/15.709429
- I. Chahine, M. Kadi, E. Gaboriaud, A. Louis, and B. Mazari, "Characterization and modeling of the susceptibility of integrated circuits to conducted electromagnetic disturbances up to 1 GHz," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 285-293, May 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEMC.2008.918983
- A. Boyer, B. Li, S. Ben Dhia, B. Vrignon, and C. Lemoine, "Development of an immunity model of a phase-locked loop," in Proc. Asia-Pacific Symp. Electromagn. Compat., May 2011.
- B. Pu, J. J. Lee, S. S. Kwak, S. Y. Kim, and W. Nah, "Electromagnetic susceptibility analysis of ICs using DPI method with consideration of PDN," in Proc. Asia-Pacific Symp. Electromagn. Compat., Singapore, pp. 77-80, 2012.
- A. Alaeldine, R. Perdriau, M. Ramdani, J. L. Levant, and M. Drissi, "A direct power injection model for immunity prediction in integrated circuits," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 52-62, Feb. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEMC.2007.911920
- J. S. Pak, J. Kim, J. Cho, K. Kim, T. Song, S. Ahn, J. Lee, H. Lee, K. Park, and J. Kim, "PDN impedance modeling and analysis of 3D TSV IC by using proposed P/G TSV array model based on separated P/G TSV and Chip-PDN models," IEEE Trans. Compon. Packag. Tech., vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 208-219, Feb. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCPMT.2010.2101771
- B. Pu, J. S. Lee, and W. Nah, "Electrical parameter extraction of high performance package using PEEC method," JKIEES, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 62-69, Mar. 2011.
- Integrated Circuits, Measurement of Electromagnetic Immunity, 150 kHz-1 GHz,-Part 4: Direct RF Power Injection Method, International Electrotechnical Commission Standard IEC 62132-4, 2006.
- Estimation of Transferred Power from a Noise Source to an IC with Forwarded Power Characteristics vol.13, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5515/JKIEES.2013.13.4.233
- Modeling and Parameter Extraction of Coplanar Symmetrical Meander Lines vol.57, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1109/TEMC.2014.2383383
- Efficient Circuit and an EM Model of an Electrostatic Discharge Generator vol.60, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1109/TEMC.2017.2787189