- Volume 13 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
MIMO Antenna Using Resonance of Ground Planes for 4G Mobile Application
- Zhao, Xing (Dept. of Electronics and Computer Engineering, Hanyang University) ;
- Kwon, Kyeol (Dept. of Electronics and Computer Engineering, Hanyang University) ;
- Choi, Jeahoon (Dept. of Electronics and Computer Engineering, Hanyang University)
- Received : 2013.02.05
- Accepted : 2013.03.11
- Published : 2013.03.31
A MIMO antenna using the resonance of ground planes is proposed for 4G mobile application. A resonant mode is generated when the double ground planes (upper and lower) in the mobile terminal are excited as the radiator. By combining the resonant modes contributed from both the antenna element and the ground planes, the proposed MIMO antenna realizes a wideband property over LTE band 13. In addition, an inductive coil is employed to reduce the antenna volume. These approaches not only simplify antenna design but also effectively improve bandwidth and efficiency. The proposed MIMO antenna has an excellent ECC value of below 0.1 because of the nearly orthogonal radiation patterns of the two radiators. Moreover, an additional antenna is adopted to cover WiMAX, WLAN, and Bluetooth services simultaneously in frequency range from 2 GHz to 2.7 GHz.
MIMO;4G;ECC;Ground Planes;Inductive Coil
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- D. Astély, E. Dahlman, A. Furuskar, Y. Jading, M. Lindstrom, and S. Parkvall, "LTE: the evolution of mobile broadband," IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 44-51, 2009.
- B. Y. Cho, J. Y. Kim, "Novel MIMO communication scheme for enhanced indoor performance in distributed antenna systems," JKIEES, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 263-269, 2010.
- S. H. Lee, J. U. Kim, "Sum-rate capacity with fairness in correlated MIMO broadcast channels," JKIEES, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 124-129, 2009.
- S. R, Best, "A discussion on small antenna operating with small finite ground planes," Proc. International Workshop on Antenna Technology: Small Antennas and Novel Metamaterial, pp. 152-155, Mar. 2006.
- P. Hallbjörner, "The significance of radiation efficiencies when using S-parameters to calculate the received signal correlation from two antennas," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., vol. 4, pp. 97-99, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/LAWP.2005.845913
- R. Lundin, "A handbook formula for the inductance of single layer circular coil," Proc. IEEE, vol. 73, no. 9, pp. 1428-1429, Sep. 1985. https://doi.org/10.1109/PROC.1985.13304
- J. F. Li, Q. X. Chu, and T. G. Huang, "A compact wideband MIMO antenna with two novel bent slits," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 482-489, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2011.2173452
- Hybrid MIMO Antenna Using Interconnection Tie for Eight-Band Mobile Handsets vol.15, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5515/JKIEES.2015.15.3.185
- The design of a LTE/MIMO antenna with high isolation using a decoupling network vol.56, pp.9, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1002/mop.28551
- Broadband MIMO Antenna Using the Metal Cover Radiator vol.26, pp.9, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5515/KJKIEES.2015.26.9.769
- Design Considerations for Complicated Antenna Systems on a Simple De-Embedding Method vol.13, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1109/LAWP.2014.2326927
- A Simple Planar Heptaband Antenna with a Coupling Feed for 4G Mobile Applications vol.15, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5515/JKIEES.2015.15.4.239
- Design of a MIMO Antenna Using a RF MEMS Element vol.24, pp.12, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5515/KJKIEES.2013.24.12.1113
- A Small Planar Antenna for 4G Mobile Phone Application vol.2016, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1155/2016/4791831
- Design of a Multiband Antenna for LTE/GSM/UMTS Band Operation vol.2014, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/548160