- Volume 32 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Variation in Population Size of Mudfish by Agricultural Practices in Paddy Fields
논 생태계에서 영농방법에 따른 미꾸라지개체군의 변동 요인 분석
- Han, Min-Su (National Academy of Agricultural Science, RDA) ;
- Cho, Kwang-Jin (National Academy of Agricultural Science, RDA) ;
- Nam, Hyung-Kyu (The Korea Institute of Ornithology and Department of Biology, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Kang, Kee-Kyung (National Academy of Agricultural Science, RDA) ;
- Na, Young-Eun (National Academy of Agricultural Science, RDA) ;
- Kim, Miran (National Academy of Agricultural Science, RDA) ;
- Kim, Myung-Hyun (National Academy of Agricultural Science, RDA)
- 한민수 (농촌진흥청 국립농업과학원) ;
- 조광진 (농촌진흥청 국립농업과학원) ;
- 남형규 (경희대학교 생물학과·한국조류연구소) ;
- 강기경 (농촌진흥청 국립농업과학원) ;
- 나영은 (농촌진흥청 국립농업과학원) ;
- 김미란 (농촌진흥청 국립농업과학원) ;
- 김명현 (농촌진흥청 국립농업과학원)
- Received : 2012.12.07
- Accepted : 2013.02.01
- Published : 2013.03.31
BACKGROUND: This study was carried out to compare population size of mudfish (Misgurnus mizolepis) between the agricultural practices and to investigate the causes of its differences. We also provided basic information for sustainable use of mudfish population in paddy fields. METHODS AND RESULTS: Mudfish and benthic invertebrates which are diet of mudifish were investigated from 8 sites of organic and conventional rice paddy fields in South Korea. Total number of mudfish were 1,882 individuals in survey sites. Mudfish population were 2.4 times larger in organic paddy fields (1,333 individuals) than in conventional paddy fields (549 individuals). The population size of mudfish was larger in Mungyeong-si, Gyeongsangbuk-do and Anseong-si, Gyeonggi-do with relatively better environmental conditions than the other 5 sites including Suwon-si, Gyeonggi-do, Cheongyang-gun, Chungcheongnam-do, Gunsan-si, Jeollabuk-do, Gimje-si, Jeollabuk-do, Hwasun-gun, Jeollanam-do, Hamyang-gun, Gyeongsangnam-do. Benthic invertebrates collected from survey sites were 74 species, 68 genera, 46 families, 19 orders, 6 classes and 3 phyla. According to agricultural practices, benthic invertebrates were identified 66 species, 62 genera, 41 families, 17 orders, 6 classes and 3 phyla in organic paddy fields while there were 66 species, 60 genera, 42 families, 18 orders, 6 classes and 3 phyla in conventional paddy fields. Dominant invertebrates were Chironomidae sp., Branchiopoda sp., Ostracoda sp., and Copepoda sp. There were no differences in dominant species between organic and conventional paddy fields. Population size of mudfish tended to increase with the population size of Chironomidae sp., Branchiopoda sp., Ostracoda sp., and Copepoda sp. But, only population of Chironomidae sp. and Copepoda sp. statistically related to population size of mudfish. The number of individuals of mudfish (Misgurnus mizolepis) was higher at the low rate of urban area than any other surveyed region and was affected by appearance ratio of main preys such as Chironomidae sp. and Ostracoda sp. CONCLUSION(S): The population size of mudfish in rice paddy fields could be affected by environmental conditions and agricultural practices such as organic and conventional methods.
Grant : Research Program for Agricultural Science & Technology Development
Supported by : National Academy of Agricultural Science
- Byeon, H.K., 2007. Ecology of Koreocobitis rotundicaudata (Cobitidae) in the Naerin Stream, Korea, Kor. J. Ichthy. 19, 299-305.
- Choi, B.G., 2007. Vegetation of Ulleungdo, Korea, MS thesis, Keimyung University, Deagu, Korea.
- Choi, E.K., 2003. Biology of the Southern Spined Loach, Iksookimia hugowolfeldi (Pisces, Cobitidae), MS thesis, Chonbuk National University, Chon-buk, Korea.
- Choi, J.K., Byeon, H.K., 2009. Ecological Characteristics of Cobitis pacifica (Cobitidae) in the Yeongok Stream, Kor. J. Limnol. 42, 26-31.
- Han, M.S., Na, Y.E., Bang, H.S., Kim, M.H., Kang, K.K., Hong, H.K., Lee, J.T., Ko, B.G., 2008. Aquatic invertebrates in paddy ecosystem of Kore, pp.1-529. National Academy of Agricultural Science, Suwon, Korea.
- Hong, Y.K., Yang, H., Bang I.C., 2011. Habitat, Reproduction and Feeding Habit of Endangered Fish Koreocobitis naktongensis (Cobitidae) in the Jaho Stream, Korea, Kor. J. Ichthy. 23, 234-241.
- Jeong, M.R., 2010. A study of habitat environmental characteristics of mudfish inhabited in rice field. MS thesis, Korea National University of Education, Chung-buk, Korea.
- Kim, H.S., Lee, H.K., 1985. Studies on nutrient composition of loach; 2. Seasonal variations in heavy metal contents of loach in various area, Korean J. Nutr. 18, 167-172.
- Kim, I.S., Choi, E.K., Yang H., Koh, M.H., 2003. Karyotype analysis of Southern spined loach, Iksookimia hugowolfeldi (Pisces, Cobitidae), Kor. J. Ichthy. 15, 127-129.
- Kim, I.S., Ko, M.H., 2005. Ecology of Iksookimia Longicorpa (Cobitidae) in the Seomjin River, Korea, Kor. J. of Ichthy. 17, 112-122.
- Kim, I.S., Ko, M.H., Park, J.Y., 2006. Population Ecology of Korean Sand Loach Cobitis tetralineata (Pisces; Cobitidae) in the Seomjin River, Korea, J. Ecol. Field Biol. 29, 277-286. https://doi.org/10.5141/JEFB.2006.29.3.277
- Kim, I.S., Lee, J.H., 1990. Diploid-triplod hybrid complex of the spined loach Cobitis sinensis and C. longicorpus (Pices, Cobitidae), Kor. J. Ichthy. 2, 203-210.
- Kim, J.G., Choi, Y.C., Choi, J.Y., Sim, H.S., Park, H.C., Kim, W.T., Park, B.D., Lee, J.E., Kang, K.K., Lee, D.B., 2007. Ecological analysis and environmental evaluation of aquatic insects in agricultural ecosystem, Kor. J. Appl. Entomol. 46, 335-341. https://doi.org/10.5656/KSAE.2007.46.3.335
- Kim, J.O., Shin, H.S., Yoo, J.H., Lee, S.H., Jang, K.S., Kim, B.C., 2011. Functional evaluation of small-scale pond at paddy field as a shelter for mudfish during midsummer drainage period, Korean J. Environ. Agric. 30, 37-42. https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2011.30.1.37
- Kim, J.S., Kim, D.I., Kim, S.G., Kang, B.R. Ko, S.J., Lim, G.H., Kim, H.J., 2009. Biodiversity of benthic macroinvertebrate on organic rice paddy field, Kor. J. Organ. Agric. 17, 193-209.
- Ko, M.H., Park, J.Y., Kim, S.H., 2009. Habitat Environment and Feeding Habitat of Iksookimia koreensis and Cobitis Lutheri (Pisces: Cobitidae) in the Mangyeong River, Korea, Kor. J. Ichthy. 21, 253-261.
- Lim, H.S., Kim, M.S., Seok, Y.S., Park, S.D., Lee, H.H., 1996. Characterization and DNA Structure Analysis of Replication Origin of Misgurnus mizolepis, Kor. J. Fish Aquat. Sci. 9, 93-100.
- Nalbant, T.T., 1963. A study of the genera of Bottiinae and Cobitidae(Pisces, Ostariophysi, Cobitidae), Trav. Mus. Hist. nat. "Grigore Antipa", pp. 347-379.
- Nam, K.C., 2007. Intestinal respiration and oxygen consumtion of mud loach(Misgurnus mizolepis), MS thesis, Pukyong National University, Busan, Korea.
- Oh, M.K., 2012. Study on respiratory system of Misgurnus mizolepis (Cobitidae) related to environmental change of rice field, PhD thesis, Chonbuk National University, Chon-buk, Korea.
- Saitoh, K., Katano, O., Koizumi, A., 1988. Movement and spawning of several freshwater fishes in temporary waters around paddy fields, Jpn. J. Ecol. 38, 35-47.
- Shannon, C.E., Wiever, W., 1949. The Mathematical Theory of Communication, University of Illinois Press, Urbana.
- Shin, L.S., 2012. Morphorgenetic charateristics of Chinese muddy loach(Misgurnus mizolepis) and Muddy loach(M. anguillicaudatus), MS thesis, Chonnam National University, Gwangju, Korea.
- Surdick, R.F., Gaufin. A.R., 1978. Environment requirements and pollution tolerance of Plecoptera. EPA-600/4-77-062. Cincineti, Ohio, USA.
- Uchida, S., 1990. Distribution of Plecoptera in the Tamagawa river system. central Japan, Kluwer Academic publishers.
- Yoon, I.B., 1995. An illustration of Korean aquatic insects, pp.1-262, Jeonghaengsa, Seoul, Korea.
- Freshwater anostracan, Branchinella kugenumaensis, as a potential controlling consumer species on toxic cyanobacteria Microcystis aeruginosa vol.51, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10452-017-9628-1
- Fish Safety and Antimicrobial Activity of Natural Sulfur Solution on Aquatic Microorganisms (Saprolegnia parasitica) Isolated from Misgurnus mizolepis vol.35, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.11626/KJEB.2017.35.2.116
- Influence of Farming Practices on Weight-Length Relationship of the Loach (Misgurnus anguillicaudatus) Population in Rice Paddy Fields vol.35, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.11626/KJEB.2017.35.4.446
- Determinations of Shorebirds Diets during Spring Migration Stopovers in Korean Rice Fields vol.35, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.11626/KJEB.2017.35.4.452
- Monthly Change of the Length-weight Relationship of the Loach (Misgurnus anguillicaudatus) Population in Paddy Fields by Farming Practices vol.36, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.11626/KJEB.2018.36.1.001