- Volume 15 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Influence of Shifting Planting Date on Cereal Grains Production under the Projected Climate Change
파종일 변경이 기후변화 조건에서 곡물생산량에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2013.03.04
- Accepted : 2013.03.23
- Published : 2013.03.30
Yield reduction in major cereal grains seems unavoidable with the existing cropping systems under the projected climate change in Korea. Crop models were used to predict the effects of planting date shift on grain yields of rice, winter barley and soybeans at 64 agroclimatic zones in Korea. The shift of planting date by 7, 14, and 21 days before and after the recommended planting dates were incorporated in DSSAT experiment files to simulate growth, development and grain yields of major cereal crops. These included 3 rice cultivars representing early-, medium- and late-maturity groups, 1 winter barley and 1 soybean cultivars. Partial mitigation in yield reduction was found with earlier planting in the early maturing rice cultivar and with delayed planting in the late maturing rice cultivar under the RCP8.5 projected climate change in Korea. Additional yield increase in winter barley was expected by earlier planting treatments. Soybean showed a positive effect on grain yield with earlier planting. However, the rate was much lower than the case with winter barley and delayed planting caused yield reduction.
RCP 8.5;Planting date;DSSAT;Rice;Barley;Soybean;Climate change
- Ahn, Y. K., K. C. Seong, and S. H. Kim, 2012: Effect of different sowing time on the yield and plant growth for okra (Abelmoschus esculentus L. Moench) Production. Journal of Bio-Environment Control 21(3), 267-270. (in Korean with English abstract)
- Hoogenboom, G., J. W. Jones, P. W. Wilkens, C. H. Porter, K. J. Boote, L. A. Hunt, U. Singh, J. L. Lizaso, J. W. White, O. Uryasev, F. S. Royce, R. Ogoshi, A. J. Gijsman, G. Y. Tsuji, and J. Koo, 2010: Decision Support System for Agrotechnology Transfer (DSSAT) Version 4.5 [CDROM], University of Hawaii, USA.
- Jagadish, S. V. K., P. Q. Craufurd, and T. R. Wheeler, 2007: High temperature stress and spikelet fertility in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Journal of Experimental Botany 58, 1627-1635. https://doi.org/10.1093/jxb/erm003
- Jones, J. W., G. Hoogenboom, C. H. Porter, K. J. Boote, W. D. Batchelor, L. A. Hunt, P. W. Wilkens, U. Singh, A. J. Gijsman, and J. T. Ritchie, 2003: DSSAT Cropping System Model. European Journal of Agromy 18, 235-265. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1161-0301(02)00107-7
- Kim, D. J., S. O. Kim, K. H. Moon, and J. I. Yun, 2012: An outlook on cereal grains production in South Korea based on crop growth simulation under the RCP8.5 climate change scenarios. Korean Journal of Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 14(3), 132-141. (in Korean with English abstract) doi:10.5532/KJAFM.2012.14.3.132 https://doi.org/10.5532/KJAFM.2012.14.3.132
- Kim, J. D., and D. A. Kim, 1994: Effect of seeding date and fall harvest method on the growth characteristics, forage yield and quality of winter rye. Journal of The Korean Society of Grassland and Forage Science 14(3), 238-246. (in Korean with English abstract)
- Kondo, M., 2009: Effect of global warming on rice culture and adoptive strategies. Proceeding of International symposium 'Rice research in the era of global warming', Taichung, Taiwan, Taiwan Agricultural Research Institute, Council of Agriculture, 1-9.
- Lee, C. K., K. S. Kwak, J. H. Kim, J. Y. Son, and W. H. Yang, 2011: Impacts of climate change and follow-up cropping season shift on growing period and temperature in different rice maturity types. Korean Journal of Crop Science 56(3), 233-243. (in Korean with English abstract) doi:10.7740/kjcs.2011.56.3.233 https://doi.org/10.7740/kjcs.2011.56.3.233
- Sato, K., and K. Inaba, 1976: High temperature injury of ripening in rice plant part 5 on the early decline of assimilate storing ability of grains at high temperature. Japanese Journal of Crop Science 45(1), 156-161. https://doi.org/10.1626/jcs.45.156
- Shim, K. M., S. H. Min, D. B. Lee, G. Y. Kim, H. C. Jeong, S. B. Lee, and K. K. Kang, 2011: Simulation of the effects of the A1B climate change scenario on the potential yield of winter naked barley in Korea. Korean Journal of Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 13(4), 192-203. (in Korean with English abstract) doi:10.5532/KJAFM.2011.13.4.192 https://doi.org/10.5532/KJAFM.2011.13.4.192
- Son, B. Y., J. T. Kim, S. Y. Song, S. B. Baek, and C. K. Kim, 2009: Comparison of yield and forage quality of silage corns at different planting dates. Journal of The Korean Society of Grassland and Forage Science 29(3), 179-186. (in Korean with English abstract) https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2009.29.3.179
- NIMR, 2011: IPCC 5차 평가보고서 대응을 위한 기후변화 시나리오 보고서. 79-110p.
- 최재성, 김양길, 조상균, 이미자, 최인덕, 현종내, 이광원, 박홍규, 김기종, 김정곤, 2010: 기후변화에 따른 전북지역의 보리 파종시기 재설정. 한국작물학회 2010년 추계학술발표회. 한국작물학회, 61p.
- Yearly Variation in Growth and Yield of Winter Hulless Barley at Iksan vol.61, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7740/kjcs.2016.61.3.171
- Planning for Adapting to the Rural Region Impacts of Climate Change - Case study in Yesan - vol.19, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7851/ksrp.2013.19.4.115
- Requirement Analysis of a System to Predict Crop Yield under Climate Change vol.17, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5532/KJAFM.2015.17.1.1
- Grain Yield Response of CERES-Barley Adjusted for Domestic Cultivars to the Simultaneous Changes in Temperature, Precipitation, and CO2Concentration vol.15, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5532/KJAFM.2013.15.4.312
- Analysis of components and applications of major crop models for nutrient management in agricultural land 2016, https://doi.org/10.7744/kjoas.20160055
Supported by : 농촌진흥청