- Volume 55 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of Feeding Patterns of Concentrate on Growth Performance, Blood Parameters and Carcass Characteristics in Fattening Hanwoo Cows
한우 암소 비육시 배합사료 급여형태가 발육, 혈액성상 및 도체특성에 미치는 영향
- Lee, Sang Min (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Chang, Sun Sik (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Jung, Ki Yong (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Kim, Hyeong Cheol (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Choi, Sun Ho (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Kwon, Eung Gi (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Park, Byung Ki (Nonghyup Feed Co. LTD.) ;
- Yang, Boh Suk (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Lee, Sung Sill (Division of Applied Life Science, Graduate School Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Cho, Young Moo (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA)
- 이상민 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 장선식 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 정기용 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 김형철 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 최순호 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 권응기 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 박병기 (농협사료) ;
- 양보석 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 이성실 (경상대학교 응용생명과학부) ;
- 조영무 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원)
- Received : 2012.12.10
- Accepted : 2013.02.22
- Published : 2013.02.28
This study was conducted to investigate the effects of feeding patterns of concentrates on growth performance, blood parameters and carcass characteristics in Hanwoo cows. Randomly-allocated groups, restricted concentrate feeding (T1), restricted concentrate feeding for 6 months and ad libitum 2 months (T2), restricted concentrate feeding for 4 months and ad libitum 4 months (T3), were contained with 9 animals. According to feeding patterns of concentrate, growth performance was not significantly different among the treatment groups. However, ADG tended to be higher in T2 group (0.75 kg/d) compared to the other groups (T1: 0.62 kg/d, T3: 0.72 kg/d). DMI was not significantly different among the treatment groups, interestingly, rice straw intake was significantly higher in T1 group compared with others (p<0.05). There were significant difference among feed conversion ratio, which are 17.8, 12.8, and 14.1 kg for T1, T2, and T3 (p<0.05), respectively. The serum level of albumin, triglyceride, glucose and GPT were greater in T3 group compared to other groups at fattening 6 to 8 months (p<0.05). The results of yield traits, carcass weight, back fat thickness and rib eye area were not differ among treatment groups, but yield index was significantly greater in T2 group compared to T1 group (p<0.05). The 'A' appearance rate (%) of meat yield grade was highest in T2 group for 78%. The marbling score, meat color, fat color, texture and maturity in quality traits were not differ among the treatment groups. However, marbling score and appearance rate (%) of over 1st meat quality grade were tend to be increased at T3 rather (4.0, 56%) group compared with other groups (T1: 3.4, 56%; T2: 3.6, 33%). Thus, the present study suggested that restricted concentrate feeding (1.6% of BW) for 4 months during early fattening periods and ad libitum feeding for 4 months during late fattening periods are recommendable.
Hanwoo Cow;Concentrate;Growth performance;Carcass characteristics;Blood parameters
Supported by : 국립축산과학원
- Andersen, H. R. and Ingvartsen, K. L. 1984. The influence of energy level, weight at slaughter and castration on growth and feed efficiency in cattle. Livestock Prod. Sci. 11:559-569. https://doi.org/10.1016/0301-6226(84)90071-X
- Arave, C. W., Miller, R. H. and Lamb, R. C. 1975. Genetic and environmental effects on serum cholesterol of dairy cattle of various ages. J. Dairy Sci. 58:3-11.
- A.O.A.C. 1995. Official method of analysis. 16th eds. Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Washington, DC. USA.
- APGS. 2011. Grade rule for cattle carcass in Korea. http://www.ekape.or.kr/gradeinfo/statistics/.
- Baumgardt, B. R. 1970. Control of feed intake in the regulation of energy balance. In: A. T. Phillipson (E.d.) Physiology of digestion and metabolism in the ruminant. Oriel Press. Newcastle-upon-Tyne. UK.
- Cho. S. H. 2009. Annual Report of Extension Service (Animal Sci.). Rural Development Administration (RDA).
- Caratree, J. R. and Williams, G. L. 1971. The voluntary intake and utilization of roughage-concentrate diets by sheep. Anim. Prod. 13:71-82. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100029445
- Choi, C. W., Baek, K. H., Kim. S. J., Oh, Y. K., Hong, S. K., Kwon, E. K., Song, M. K. and Choi, C. B. 2009. Effects of polyclonal antibodies to abdominal and subcutaneous adipocytes on ruminal fermentation patterns and blood metabolites in korean native steers. J. Anim. Sci. & Technol. 51:231-240. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2009.51.3.231
- DelCurto, T., Cochraan, R. C., Harmon, D. L., Beharka, A. A., Jacques, K. A., Towne, G. and Vanzant, E. S. 1990. Supplementation of dormant Tallgrass-prairieforage: I. Influence of varying supplemental protein and(or) energy levels on forage utilization characteristics of beef steers in confinement. J. Anim. Sci. 68:515-531. https://doi.org/10.2527/1990.682515x
- Do, J. C., Lee, C. W., Son, J. K. and Chung, J. S. 1990. Studies on the blood chemistry of Korean native cattle and pigs. Korean J. Vet. Serv. 13, 49-53.
- Fox, D. G., Sniffen, C. J., O'Connor, J. D., Russell, J. B. and Van Soest, P. J. 1992. A net carbohydrate and protein system for evaluating cattle diet: III. Cattle requirements and diet adequacy. J. Anim. Sci. 70:3578-3596. https://doi.org/10.2527/1992.70113578x
- Galbraith, H., Dempster, D. G. and Miller, T. B. 1978. A note on the effect of castration on the growth performance and concentrations of some blood metabolites and hormones in British Fresian male cattle. Anim. Prod. 26:339-342. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100040964
- Gil. J. M. 1999. High quality meat production by feeding fermented-brewery meal and grinding soybean in Hanwoo. Master. Thesis, Kangwon University. Chuncheon. Korea.
- Hayden, J. M., Williams, J. E. and Collier, R. J. 1993. Plasma growth hormone, insulin-like growth factor, insulin, and thyroid hormone association with body protein and fat accretion in steers undergoing compensatory gain after dietary energy restriction. J. Anim. Sci. 71:3327-3338. https://doi.org/10.2527/1993.71123327x
- Hermesmeyer, G. N., Berger, L. L., Nash, T. G. and Brandt, R. T. 2000. Effects of energy intake, implantation, and subcutaneous fat end point on feedlot steer performance and carcass composition. J. Anim. Sci. 78, 825-831. https://doi.org/10.2527/2000.784825x
- Hermesmeyer, G. N., Berger, L. L., Merchen, N. R. and Nash, T. G. 2002. Effects of restricted and ad libitum intake of diets containing wheat middlings on site and extent of digestion in steers. J. Anim. Sci. 80:812-817. https://doi.org/10.2527/2002.803812x
- Hicks, R. B., Owens, F. N., Gill, D. R., Martin, J. J. and Strasia, C. A. 1990. Effects of controlled feed intake on performance and carcass characteristics of feedlot steers and heifers. J. Anim. Sci. 68:233-244.
- Jeong, J., Lee. S. S., Park. N. H., Sung, N. I., Jang, Y. H., Choi, S. H., Song, M. K., Suh, H. K. and Lee, M. I. 2006. Effects of melengesterol acetate, selenium and vitamin E supplemental feeding on growth, carcass and Longissimus Dorsi muscle traits in Hanwoo cull cows. J. Anim. Sci. & Technol. 48:255-268. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2006.48.2.255
- Kwon, E. G., Hong, S. K., Seong, H. H., Yun, S. G., Park, B. K., Cho, Y. M., Cho,W. M., Chang, S. S., Shin K. J. and Paek. B. H. 2005. Effects of Ad libitum and restricted feeding of concentrates on body weight gain, feed intake and blood metabolites of Hanwoo steers at various growth stages. J. Anim. Sci. & Technol. 47:745-758. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2005.47.5.745
- Lee, D. H., Yoon, W. J., Choi, N. J., Ryu, K. S., Oh, Y. K., Chang, S. S. Choi, C. W., Joo, J. W., Cho, S. B. and Kim, E. J. 2011. Effects of high protein diet on meat productivity and quality in multiparous Hanwoo cull cows. J. Life Sci. 21:1251-1258. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2011.21.9.1251
- Lee, S. M., Jang, S. S. Lee, S. D., Hong, S. K., Lee, S. S. and Woo, J. S. 2012. Effects of feeding squid by-products on growth performance and carcass characteristics of Hanwoo cows. J. Life Sci. 22:36-40. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2012.22.1.36
- Loerch, S. C. 1990. Effects of feeding growing cattle high-concentrate diets at a restricted intake on feedlot performance. J. Anim. Sci. 68:3086-3095. https://doi.org/10.2527/1990.68103086x
- Loerch, S. C. and Fluharty, F. L. 1998. Effects of programming intake on performance and carcass characteristics of feedlot cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 76:371-377. https://doi.org/10.2527/1998.762371x
- Meyer, J. H., Hull, J. L., Weitkamp, W. H. and Bonilla, S. 1965. Compensatory growth responses of fattening steers following various low energy intake regimes on hay or irrigated pasture. J. Anim. Sci. 24:29-37. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1965.24129x
- Murphy, t. A., Fluharty, F. L. and Loerch, S. C. 1994. The influence of intake level and corn processing on digestibility and ruminal metabolism in steers fed all-concentrate diets. J. Anim. Sci. 72:1608-1615. https://doi.org/10.2527/1994.7261608x
- Nam, C. J. and Young, M. J. 1971. About Tnansaminase activities of Hanwoo serum. Korean J. Vet. Serv. 11:65-68.
- National Research Council. 1987. Predicting feed intake of food-producing animals. National Academy Press, Washington, D. C., U. S. A.
- Park, B. K., Lee, S. M., Kim, H. C., Chang, S. S., Kim, T. I., Cho, Y. M., Choi, C. W., Hong, S. K. and Kwon, E. G. 2010. Effects of ruminally protected amino acid-enriched fatty acids on growth performance and carcass characteristics of fattening Hanwoo cows. J. Anim. Sci. & Technol. 52:499-504. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2010.52.6.499
- Raghuvansi, S., Tripathi, M., Mishra, A., Chaturvedi, O., Prasad, R., Saraswat, B. and Jakhmola, R. 2006. Feed digestion, rumen fermentation and blood biochemical constituents in Malpura rams fed a complete feed-block diet with the inclusion of tree leaves. Small Rumin. Res. 71:21-30.
- Vernon, R. G. 1992. Control of lipogenesis and lipolysis. In : The control of fat and lean deposition(Eds. Boorman, K. N., Buttery, P. J. and Lindsay, D. B.). Butterworth, Heinemann, Oxford.
- Effect of Feeding Level of High Energy-TMR for Growing Phase on Growth Performance, Carcass Characteristics and Economic Analysis in Fattening of Hanwoo Heifers vol.52, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.14397/jals.2018.52.5.51