- Volume 2 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Chromosomal study of the lenoks, Brachymystax (Salmoniformes, Salmonidae) from the South of the Russian Far East
- Kartavtseva, I.V. (Institute of Biology and Soil Science of the Far East Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences) ;
- Ginatulina, L.K. (Institute of Biology and Soil Science of the Far East Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences) ;
- Nemkova, G.A. (Institute of Biology and Soil Science of the Far East Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences) ;
- Shedko, S.V. (Institute of Biology and Soil Science of the Far East Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences)
- Received : 2012.11.23
- Accepted : 2013.02.06
- Published : 2013.02.28
An investigation of the karyotypes of two species of the genus Brachymystax (B. lenok and B. tumensis) has been done for the Russia Primorye rivers running to the East Sea basin, and others belonging to Amur basin. Based on the analysis of two species chromosome characteristics, combined with original and literary data, four cytotypes have been described. One of these cytotypes (Cytotype I: 2n=90, NF=110-118) was the most common. This common cytotype belongs to B. tumensis from the rivers of the East Sea basin and B. lenok from the rivers of the Amur basin, i.e. extends to the zones of allopatry. In the rivers of the Amur river basin, in the zone of the sympatric habitat of two species, each taxon has karyotypes with different chromosome numbers, B. tumensis (2n=92) and B. lenok (2n=90). Because of the ability to determine a number of the chromosome arms for these two species, additional cytotype have been identified for B. tumensis: Cytotype II with 2n=92, NF=110-124 in the rivers basins of the Yellow sea and Amur river and for B. lenok three cytotypes: Cytotype I: 2n=90, NF=110 in the Amur river basin; Cytotype III with 2n=90, NF=106-126 in the Amur river basin and Cytotypes IV with 2n=92, NF=102 in the Baikal lake.
- Alekseev, S.S. 1983. Morpho-ecological characteristics of lenoks (Brachymystax, Salmonidae, Salmoniformes) from the Amur River basin and from the Uda River. Zoologicheskii Zhurnal 62:1057-1068 (in Russian).
- Alekseev, S.S., A.F. Kirillov and V.P. Samusenok. 2003. Distribution and morphology of the sharp-snouted and the blunt-snouted lenoks of the genus Brachymystax (Salmonidae) of East Siberia. Journal of Ichthyology 43:311-333.
- Alekseev, S.S. and A.G. Osinov. 2006. Blunt-snouted lenoks (Genus Brachymystax: Salmoniformes, Salmonidae) from the Ob' Basin: New data on morphology and allozyme variation. Journal of Ichthyology 46:500-516. https://doi.org/10.1134/S0032945206070022
- Bogutskaya, N.G. and A.M. Naseka. 2004. Catalogue of agnathans and fishes of fresh and brackish waters of Russia with comments on nomenclature and taxonomy. Moscow: KMK Scientific Press Ltd. 389 pp.
- Camacho, J.P.M., T.F. Sharbel and L.W. Beukeboom. 2000. B chromosome evolution. Philosophical Transactions. B 355:163-178. https://doi.org/10.1098/rstb.2000.0556
- Camacho, J.P.M. 2005. B chromosomes. The evolution of the genome (pp. 223-286). In: T. Ryan Gregory (ed.), Burlington, San-Diego, London. 740 pp.
- Chereshnev, I.A., V.V. Volobuev, A.V. Shestakov and S.V. Frolov. 2002. Salmonidae fishes in Russian North-East. Vladivostok, Dalnauka. 496 pp (in Russian).
- Dorofeeva, E.A. 1977. Utilization of karyological data for solving problems of systematics and phylogeny of salmonids. The principles of the classification and phylogeny of the salmonoid fishes. Leningrad. Zoological Institute Russian Academy of Sciences 86-95 (in Russian).
- Feldberg, J.I.R. Porto, M.N. Alves-Brinn, M.N.C. Mendonca and D.C. Benzaquem. 2004. B chromosomes in Amazonian cichlid species. Cytogenetic and Genome Research 106:195-198. https://doi.org/10.1159/000079287
- Ford, C.E. and J.L. Hamerton. 1956. A colchicine, hypotonic citrate, squash sequence for mammalian chromosomes. Stain Technology 31:247-251. https://doi.org/10.3109/10520295609113814
- Frolov, S.V. 2000. Karyotype variability and evolution in Salmonidae. Vladivostok, Dalnauka. 229 pp (in Russian).
- Froufe, E., K.M. Sefc, P. Alexandrino and S. Weiss. 2004. Isolation and characterization of Brachymystax lenok Microsatellite loci and cross-species amplification in hucho spp. and Parahucho perryi. Molecular Ecology Notes 4: 150-152. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1471-8286.2004.00594.x
- Froufe, E., S. Alekseyev, P. Alexandrino and S. Weiss. 2008. The evolutionary history of sharp- and blunt-snouted lenok (Brachymystax lenok (Pallas, 1773) and its implications for the paleo-hydrological history of Siberia. BMC Evolutionary Biology 8:40. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2148-8-40
- Ginatulina, L.K., I.V. Kartavtseva, S.V. Shedko and G.A. Nemkova. 1998. Karyological analysis of two forms of Brachyomystax lenok (Pall.) from sympatric and allopatric populations of Primorye. Modern achievements in population, evolutionary and ecological genetics (MAPEEG- 1998): International Symposium Vladivostok-Vostok Marine Biological station, Vladivostok, September 3-8, 1998:6-7.
- Ivanitskaya, E., M. Sozen, L. Rashkovetsky, F. Matur and E. Nevo. 2008. Discrimination of 2n=60 Spalax leucodon cytotypes (Spalacidae, Rodentia) in Turkey by means of classical and molecular cytogenetic techniques. Cytogenetic and Genome Research 122:139-149. https://doi.org/10.1159/000163091
- Kang, Y.S. and E.H. Park. 1973. Somatic chromosomes of the Manchurian trout, Brachimystax lenok (Salmonidae). Chromosome Information Service 15:10-11.
- Kartavtseva, I.V. 2002. Karyosystematics of wood and field mice (Rodentia, Muridae).
- Kifa, M.I. 1976. Morphology of two forms of lenok (genus Brachymystax, fam. Salmonidae) from the Amur basin and their systematic position. In Zoogeografiya i sistematika ryb (Zoogeography and systematics of fishes) Edited by: Skarlato. Zoological Institute of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR Publishing House, Leningrad. 142-156 (in Russian).
- King, M.A. 1993. Species Evolution: The role of chromosome change. Cambrige University Press. 336 pp.
- Levan, A., K. Fredga and A.A. Sandberg. 1964. Nomenclature for centromeric position on chromosomes. Hereditas 52:201-220.
- Makoedov, A.N. 1999. Karyology, biocamical genetics and population phenetics salmon fish from Siberia and the Far East: comparative aspects. Moscow, UMK, Psikhologiya. 291 pp (in Russian).
- MA Bo, J IAN G and Zuo Fa. 2007. Genetic diversity and relationship between two species of Brachymystax in Wusuli River revealed by microsatellites. Journal of Fishery Sciences of China 14:39-45 (in Chinese).
- Oleinik, A.G. and L.A. Skurikhina. 2008. Phylogenetic relationships of Sakhalin Taimen Parahucho perryi inferred from PCR-RFLP analysis of mitochondrial DNA. Russian Journal of Genetics 44:767-776. https://doi.org/10.1134/S102279540807003X
- Osinov, A.G. 1991. Genetic divergence and phylogenetic relationships between lenoks of genus Brachymystax and huchens of genera Hucho and Parahucho. Genetika (Moscow) 27:2127-2135 (in Russian).
- Osinov, A.G. 1993. Counter current dispersal, secondary contacts, and speciation in lenoks of the genus Brachymystax (Salmonidae, Salmoniformes). Genetika (Moscow) 29: 654-669.
- Osinov, A.G., I.I. Il'in and S.S. Alekseyev. 1990. Forms of lenok, Brachymystax (Salmoniformes, Salmonidae) delineated by genetic analysis. Journal of Ichthyology 30:138-153 (in Russian).
- Phillips, R. and P. Reb. 2001. Chromosome evolution in the Salmonidae (Pisces): an update. Biological Reviews 76: 1-25. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1464793100005613
- Shedko, S.V., L.K. Ginatulina, I.Z. Parpura and A.V. Ermolenko. 1996. Evolutionary and taxonomic relationships among Far-Eastern salmonid fishes inferred from mito-chondrial DNA divergence. Journal of Fish Biology 49: 815-829. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1095-8649.1996.tb00081.x
- Shedko, S.V. and M.B. Shedko. 2003. New data on freshwater ichthyofauna of the south of the Russian Far East. Vladimir Ya. Levanidov's biennial memorial meetings. Issue 2. Dal'nauka, Vladivostok: 319-336 (in Russian).
- Vasil'ev, V.P. 1985. Evolutionary karyology of fish. Moskow, Nauka. 300 pp (Monograph in Russian).
- Viktorovsky, R.M., A.N. Makoedov and A.A. Shevchishin. 1985. The chromosomal sets of Brachymystax lenok and Hucho taimen and the divergency of the salmonid genera. Tstiologiya 27:703-709 (in Russian).
- Vladivostok, Dal'nauka. 142 pp. (Monograph in Russian, summary, tables and figures in English).
- Wang, J. and S. Wang. 1991. The preliminary study of the karyotype of Brachymystax lenok. Salmon fishery 4:24-27 (in Chinese).
- Xu, G.-F., Zh.-bo. Mu, Sh.-Q. Xue, Y.-Y. Zhang, Y.-F. Li, J. Du and Y.-Ch. Chen (2009) Analysis on genetic polymorphism of chromosome of Brachymystax lenok in different valleys Acta hydrobiologica Sinica 33:975-979 (in Chinese).
- Data on the fish species composition in Nyukzha River (Olekma Tributary) and its basin vol.56, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1134/S0032945216050167