- Volume 8 Issue 2
With the continuous aging of the populations in developed countries, the medical requirements of the aged are expected to increase. In this paper, a ring-type pulse oximeter finger sensor and a 24-hour ambulatory heart rate monitoring system for the aged are presented. We also demonstrate the feasibility of extracting accurate heart rate variability measurements from photoelectric plethysmography signals gathered using a ring-type pulse oximeter sensor attached to the finger. We designed the heart rate sensor using a CPU with built-in ZigBee stack for simplicity and low power consumption. We also analyzed the various distorted signals caused by motion artifacts using a FFT, and designed an algorithm using a least squares estimator to calibrate the signals for better accuracy.
Heart rate sensor;Photoelectric plethysmography;Heart rate variability;Blood volume pulse;Biomedical monitoring;U-health care
- K. Nakano, T. Murakami, "An Approach to Guidance Motion by Gait-Training Equipment in Semipassive Walking," IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 55, No. 4, pp. 1707-1714, April 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.909066
- D. Isern, D. Sánchez, and A. Moreno, "Agents applied in health care: A review," International Journal of Medical Informatics, Vol. 79, issue 3, pp. 135-166, March 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmedinf.2008.07.008
- C. -M. Chen, "Web-based remote human pulse monitoring system with intelligent data analysis for home health care," Expert Systems with Applications, Vol. 38, issue 3, pp. 2011-2019, March 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2010.07.136
- B. -H. Yang, S. Rhee, and H. Asada, "A Twenty-Four Hour Tele-Nursing System Using a Ring Sensor," Proc. of 1998 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Leuven, Belgium, May 1998.
- S. Rhee, B. -H. Yang, and H. Asada, "Artifactresistant, power-efficient design of finger-ring plethysmographic sensors. II. Prototyping and benchmarking," Proc. of the 22nd Annual EMBS International Conference, Vol. 4, pp. 2796-2799, July 2000.
- N. Townsend, "Medical Electronics Lecture Note," 2001, [Online]. Available: http://www.robots.ox.ac. uk/ -neil/ teaching/lectures/med_elec/lecture5.pdf.
- P. A. Oberg. "Blood Flow Measurements," Copyright 2000 CRC Press LLC.
- TAOS, Inc., TSL237T light-to-frequency converter Datasheet, [Online]. Available: http://www.taosinc.com
- Radiopulse, Inc., MG2455-F48 Datasheet, [Online]. Available: http://www.radiopulse.co.kr.
- J. Bachiochi, "Light-to-Frequency Conversion (Part1) TSL230R-Based Pulse Oximeter," Circuit Cellar, the Magazine for Computer Applications, pp. 26-31, Dec. 2004.
- J. Bachiochi, "Light-to-Frequency Conversion (Part2) TSL230R-Based Pulse Oximeter," Circuit Cellar, the Magazine for Computer Applications, pp. 68-71, Jan. 2005.
- I. H. Jang, H.G. Yeom and K.B. Sim, "Ring sensor and heart rate monitoring system for sensor network applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, No. 24, pp. 1393-1394, November 2008. https://doi.org/10.1049/el:20082666
- W. S. Johnston and Y. Mendelson, "Extracting Breathing Rate Information from a Wearable Reflectance Pulse Oximeter Sensor," Proc. IEEE 26th Ann Int EMBS Conf, Sept 2004.
- C. Yu, Z. Liu, T. McKenna, A. T. Reisner, and J. Reifman "A method for automatic identification of reliable heart rates calculated from ECG and PPG waveforms," J. Am. Med. Inform. Assoc., Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 309-320, May-Jun 2006. https://doi.org/10.1197/jamia.M1925
- S. Bakhtiari, L. Shaolin, T. W. Elmer, N. S. Gopalsami, A. C. Raptis, "A real-time heart rate analysis for a remote millimeter wave I-Q sensor," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 58, issue 6, pp. 1839-1845, March 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TBME.2011.2122335
- Pulse oximetry optical sensor using oxygen-bound haemoglobin vol.24, pp.9, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1364/OE.24.010115
- Reliability of the Parabola Approximation Method in Heart Rate Variability Analysis Using Low-Sampling-Rate Photoplethysmography vol.41, pp.12, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10916-017-0842-0
- A Study on a Healthcare System Using Smart Clothes vol.9, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2014.9.1.372
- An Experimental Investigation of Pulse Measurement by Means of a Plethysmographic Sensor Integrated in a ZigBee Medical Network vol.1, pp.3, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4018/ijmstr.2013070103
- Energy Efficient Wireless Data Transmission for Personal Health Devices vol.8, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2013.8.5.1559
Supported by : Chung-Ang University