- Volume 19 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Development of 3-Dimensional Sensor Nodes using Electro-magnetic Waves for Underwater Localization
수중 위치 추정을 위한 3차원 전자기파 센서 노드 개발
- Received : 2012.12.03
- Accepted : 2012.12.31
- Published : 2013.02.01
In this paper, we discuss a 3-dimensional localization sensor node using EM waves (Electromagnetic waves) with RSSI (Received Signal Strength Indicator). Generally EM waves cannot be used in underwater environment, because the signal is highly attenuated by the water medium according to the distance. Although the signal quickly reduces in underwater, the reducing tendency is very clear and uniform. Hence EM waves have possibility as underwater distance sensors. The authors have verified the possibility by theory and several experiments, and developed calibration methods in case of linear and planer environment. For 3-dimensional localization in underwater, it must be known antenna's radiation pattern property in electric plane(called E-plane). In this paper, we proceed experiments to verify attenuation tendency with z axis movement, PLF (Polarization Loss Factor) and ILF (Inclination Loss Factor) with its theoretical approach.
underwater localization;RF;RSSI;antenna;electro-magnetic waves
- T. K. Yang, W. Y. Choi, and J. M. Lee, "Localization of multiple robots in a wide area," Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems (in Korean), vol 16, no. 3, pp. 293-299, Mar. 2010. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2010.16.3.293
- Kongsberg Maritime "Introductions of baseline systems," http://www.km.kongsberg.com.
- Z. Yuyi, G. Zhenbang, W. Lei, Z. Ruiyong, and L. Huanxin, "Study of underwater positioning based on short baseline sonar system," Proc. of International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Computational Intelligence, Shanghai, China, vol. 2, pp.343-346, Nov. 2009.
- S. J. Lee, K. M. Kwak, and J. Kim, "Development of two dimensional underwater localization system using RF sensors," Proc. of the 7th International Conference on Ubiquitous Robots and Ambient Intelligence 2010, Busan, Korea, pp. 541-543, Oct. 2010.
- K. M. Kwak, G. H. Lee, and J. Kim, "Developing underwater localization system with rssi," Proc. of The 6th Korea Robotics Society Annual Conference (in Korean), Daegu, Korea, pp. 175-178, Jul. 2011.
- D. G. Park, K. M. Kwak, W. K. Chung, and J. Kim, "Development of underwater distance sensor using EM wave attenuation," Proc. of The 2013 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA 2013), Karlsruhe, Germany, will appear, May 2013.
- D. G. Park, K. M. Kwak, W. K. Chung, and J. Kim, "Infrastructure-based localization system using underwater wireless sensor network," Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems (in Korean), vol 18, no. 8, pp. 699-755. Aug. 2012. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2012.18.8.699
- H. T. Friis and N. J. Rumson, "Introduction to radio and radio antennas," IEEE Spectrum, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 55-61, Apr. 1971.
- D. C. Hogg, "Fun with the Friss free-space transmission formula," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 33-35, Aug. 1993. https://doi.org/10.1109/74.229847
- G. H. Lee and J. Kim "Docking system for unmanned underwater vehicle using reduced signal strength indicator," Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems (in Korean), vol 18, no. 9, pp. 830-836. Sep. 2012. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2012.18.9.830
- Terrain Referenced Navigation for Autonomous Underwater Vehicles vol.19, pp.8, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2013.13.9017
- Underwater E-plane Attenuation Model of Omnidirectional Antenna Using Half Power Beam Width (HPBW) vol.21, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2015.15.0146
- An Enhanced Energy Balanced Data Transmission Protocol for Underwater Acoustic Sensor Networks vol.16, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3390/s16040487
- Position adjustment-based location error-resilient geo-opportunistic routing for void hole avoidance in underwater sensor networks vol.30, pp.21, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/cpe.4772