- Volume 23 Issue 1
A Study on the Recognition and Preference of a Chicken Menu in Adults in the Jeonbuk Area
전북지역 성인의 연령별 닭 메뉴 인지도와 기호도 연구
- Rho, Jeong Ok (Dept. of Food Science and Human Nutrition, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Kim, Ji Hye (Dept. of Food Science and Human Nutrition, Chonbuk National University)
- Received : 2012.11.22
- Accepted : 2013.02.19
- Published : 2013.03.07
This study investigated the recognition and preference of a chicken menu according to the age of adults in the Jeonbuk area. Self-administered questionnaires were collected from 394 adults (male 55.3%, female 44.7%) residing in the Jeonbuk area. Descriptive and comparative statistical data analysis was completed using SPSS v. 12.0. The frequency of consumption of chicken-containing foods for the younger group (20~30 years old) was significantly higher than the frequency of older groups (over 40) (p<0.001). The younger group also consumed chicken food through a delivery service, whereas the older group consumed chicken through delivery and self-cooking. Approximately 50.0% of the older group preferred the chicken leg whereas 38.1% of the younger group preferred the chicken breast (p<0.001). The most highly recognized chicken menu items, among 36 chicken menus, were Samgyetang (2.93), chicken dori-tang (2.93), and fried chicken (2.93). The older group knew about a chicken menu made by traditional cooking much more than the younger group. The most highly preferred chicken menu item was spicy fried chicken (4.18). The preference for Western-style chicken menu (e.g. Cajun chicken salad, chicken sandwich) was significantly higher in the younger group than the older group (p<0.001, p<0.05). Therefore, to develop a new chicken menu, the consideration of favorite chicken parts and an age-based menu is necessary.
- 승정자, 정미경, 이영근, 김생려, 최미경, 조혜경 (2005) 우리가 즐겨먹는 음식 칼로리 핸드북. 교문사, 서울. p 164.
- 이효지 (2005) 한국음식의 맛과 멋. 신광출판사, 서울. p 347.
- Han JH, Kim SH (2012) An analysis on students' behavior for consumption of chicken meat at the cafeterias of university. Korean J Poult Sci 39: 151-155. https://doi.org/10.5536/KJPS.2012.39.2.151
- Hong EY (2005) Development of recipes for fried chicken using traditional food. Master Thesis Graduate School of Traditional Culture and Arts, Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul. pp 17-60.
- Jun MR, Oh SS, Kim KO (2000) Effects of levels of flavoring materials on the sensory properties of chicken feet Jokpyun. Korean J Food Sci Technol 32: 1306-1312.
- Kim DS, Kim JS, Choi SK (2008) The mineral contents of chicken stock according to salt contents. Using a highpressure extraction cooking. The Korean Journal of Culinary Research 14: 283-291.
- Kim EM, Yi HC, Kim SA, Lee MA, Kim JW (2009) Study on the usage status and the management process of ingredients in fried foods provided in school food services. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 38: 261-266.
- Kim JW, Park SY (2001) The perception and consumption pattern of broiler chicken in Korea. Korean J Poult Sci 28: 193-205.
- Kim KB, Woo HM, Choi SK (2011) Quality characteristics of dakgalbi sauce containing various amounts of tomatoes. The Korean Journal of Culinary Research 17: 193-205.
- Kim SE (2006) A study on livestock products preference and purchasing behaviors. Korean J Human Ecology 15: 501-512.
- Kwak EJ, An HJ, Lee KH, Lee YS (2002) Sensory characteristics of Jokpyuns with chicken and codfish. Korean J Soc Food Cookery Sci 18: 1-6.
- Kwon NW, Oh ST (2011) A study on the effect of the importance of selection attributes for chicken specialty store on consumer satisfaction and loyalty: Focusing on undergraduate and graduate students in Daejeon city. The Korean Journal of Culinary Research 17: 169-184.
- Lee JM, Kim KO, Choi SE (2000) Effect of soaking and blanching chicken-head in the preparation of chicken-head broth. Korean J Food Sci Technol 32: 674-680.
- Lee MJ (2005) Recognition, and preference for chicken foods and for brands specializing in chicken. Master Thesis Graduate School of Traditional Culture and Arts, Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul. pp 11-50.
- Lee MJ, Lee YS (2012) A survey of satisfaction and preference for military meal services in the Daegu area. Korean J Food Culture 27: 113-127. https://doi.org/10.7318/KJFC/2012.27.2.113
- Lee SK (2008) A research on the use of the chicken specified shops and development of the menus. Master Thesis Graduate School of Traditional Culture and Arts, Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul. pp 11-73.
- Lee SK, Choi WH, Mushlisin, Kang SM, Kim CJ, Ahn BK, Kang CW (2011) Quality comparison of Chuncheon dakgalbi made from Korean native chickens and broilers. Korean J Food Sci Ani Resour 31: 731-740. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2011.31.5.731
- Ministry of Health & Welfare (2011) National health statistics. Korea national health & nutrition examination survey in 2010. Seoul. p 39.
- Oh SY, Yoo IJ (2001) Comparative analysis of Korean consumption behavior in chicken. Korean J Food Sci Ani Resour 21: 110-115.
- Seo OS, Choi HC, Kang BS, Kim DW, Kang HK (2011) Grow up of the chicken industry. RDA Interrobang 22: 1-20.
- Shin SM, Bae HJ (2010) Survey on menu satisfaction and preferences of high school boarding students in Gyeonggi province. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 26: 347-357.
- http://koreanfood.rda.go.kr. Accessed May 10, 2011.
- http://kostat.go.kr. Accessed December 28, 2012.
- http://kostat.go.kr. Accessed March 7, 2011.
- http://month.foodbank.co.kr. Accessed May 10, 2011.
- http://www.harim.com. Accessed December 28, 2012.
- http://www.sjbnews.com. Accessed December 28, 2012.