- Volume 31 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Cases report of unicentric Castleman's disease: revisit of radiotherapy role
- Noh, O Kyu (Department of Radiation Oncology, Ajou University School of Medicine) ;
- Lee, Sang-Wook (Department of Radiation Oncology, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine) ;
- Lee, Jae Whan (Department of Hematology, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine) ;
- Kim, Sang Yoon (Department of Otolaryngology, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine) ;
- Kim, Chung Soo (Department of Urology, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine) ;
- Choi, Eun Kyung (Department of Radiation Oncology, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine) ;
- Kim, Jong Hoon (Department of Radiation Oncology, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine) ;
- Ahn, Seung Do (Department of Radiation Oncology, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine)
- Received : 2012.11.01
- Accepted : 2012.12.13
- Published : 2013.03.31
Castleman's disease or angiofollicular lymph node hyperplasia is a rare lymphoproliferative disorder. Complete surgical resection was recommended in unicentric Castleman's disease. Radiotherapy was considered alternative therapeutic option. However, there have been consistent favorable responses to radiotherapy. We also experienced two cases of uncentric Castleman's disease salvaged successfully with radiotherapy. This paper described these cases and reviewed the literature about Castleman's disease treated with radiotherapy. Reviewed cases showed that radiotherapy is a successful treatment option in unicentric Castleman's disease. Furthermore, our report confirms the radiotherapy role in uncentric Castleman's disease.
- Castleman B, Iverson L, Menendez VP. Localized mediastinal lymphnode hyperplasia resembling thymoma. Cancer 1956;9:822-30. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(195607/08)9:4<822::AID-CNCR2820090430>3.0.CO;2-4
- Dupin N, Diss TL, Kellam P, et al. HHV-8 is associated with a plasmablastic variant of Castleman disease that is linked to HHV-8-positive plasmablastic lymphoma. Blood 2000;95:1406-12.
- Keller AR, Hochholzer L, Castleman B. Hyaline-vascular and plasma-cell types of giant lymph node hyperplasia of the mediastinum and other locations. Cancer 1972;29:670-83. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(197203)29:3<670::AID-CNCR2820290321>3.0.CO;2-#
- Bowne WB, Lewis JJ, Filippa DA, et al. The management of unicentric and multicentric Castleman's disease: a report of 16 cases and a review of the literature. Cancer 1999;85:706-17. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0142(19990201)85:3<706::AID-CNCR21>3.0.CO;2-7
- Gaba AR, Stein RS, Sweet DL, Variakojis D. Multicentric giant lymph node hyperplasia. Am J Clin Pathol 1978;69:86-90. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcp/69.1.86
- Chronowski GM, Ha CS, Wilder RB, Cabanillas F, Manning J, Cox JD. Treatment of unicentric and multicentric Castleman disease and the role of radiotherapy. Cancer 2001;92:670-6. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(20010801)92:3<670::AID-CNCR1369>3.0.CO;2-Q
- Nordstrom DG, Tewfik HH, Latourette HB. Giant lymph node hyperplasia: a review of literature and report of two cases of plasma cell variant responding to radiation therapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1978;4:1045-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/0360-3016(78)90019-6
- Fitzpatrick PJ, Brown TC. Angiofollicular lymph node hyperplasia. Can Med Assoc J 1968;99:1259-62.
- Weisenburger DD, DeGowin RL, Gibson P, Armitage JO. Remission of giant lymph node hyperplasia with anemia after radiotherapy. Cancer 1979;44:457-62. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(197908)44:2<457::AID-CNCR2820440212>3.0.CO;2-4
- Marti S, Pahissa A, Guardia J, Moragas A, Bacardi R. Multicentric giant follicular lymph node hyperplasia: favorable response to radiotherapy. Cancer 1983;51:808-10. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19830301)51:5<808::AID-CNCR2820510510>3.0.CO;2-5
- Stokes SH, Griffith RC, Thomas PR. Angiofollicular lymph node hyperplasia (Castleman's disease) associated with vertebral destruction. Cancer 1985;56:876-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19850815)56:4<876::AID-CNCR2820560429>3.0.CO;2-C
- Sethi T, Joshi K, Sharma SC, Gupta BD. Radiation therapy in the management of giant lymph node hyperplasia. Br J Radiol 1990;63:648-50. https://doi.org/10.1259/0007-1285-63-752-648
- Massey GV, Kornstein MJ, Wahl D, Huang XL, McCrady CW, Carchman RA. Angiofollicular lymph node hyperplasia (Castleman's disease) in an adolescent female: clinical and immunologic findings. Cancer 1991;68:1365-72. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19910915)68:6<1365::AID-CNCR2820680630>3.0.CO;2-Q
- Veldhuis GJ, Van Der Leest AH, De Wolf JT, De Vries EG, Vellenga E. A case of localized Castleman's disease with systemic involvement: treatment and pathogenetic aspects. Ann Hematol 1996;73:47-50. https://doi.org/10.1007/s002770050201
- Neuhof D, Debus J. Outcome and late complications of radiotherapy in patients with unicentric Castleman disease. Acta Oncol 2006;45:1126-31. https://doi.org/10.1080/02841860600812701
- Frizzera G, Peterson BA, Bayrd ED, Goldman A. A systemic lymphoproliferative disorder with morphologic features of Castleman's disease: clinical findings and clinicopathologic correlations in 15 patients. J Clin Oncol 1985;3:1202-16.
- Repetto L, Jaiprakash MP, Selby PJ, Gusterson BA, Williams HJ, McElwain TJ. Aggressive angiofollicular lymph node hyperplasia (Castleman's disease) treated with high dose melphalan and autologous bone marrow transplantation. Hematol Oncol 1986;4:213-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/hon.2900040305
- Andres E, Maloisel F. Interferon-alpha as first-line therapy for treatment of multicentric Castleman's disease. Ann Oncol 2000;11:1613-4. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008325114144
- Rieu P, Droz D, Gessain A, Grunfeld JP, Hermine O. Retinoic acid for treatment of multicentric Castleman's disease. Lancet 1999;354:1262-3. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(99)03957-4
- Nishimoto N, Sasai M, Shima Y, et al. Improvement in Castleman's disease by humanized anti-interleukin-6 receptor antibody therapy. Blood 2000;95:56-61.