- Volume 40 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A SURVEY OF GENERAL ANESTHESIA, SEVOFLURANE SEDATION AND INTRAVENOUS SEDATION IN CHUNGNAM DENTAL CLINIC FOR THE DISABLED
충남장애인구강진료센터에서 시행된 전신마취 및 진정법에 관한 실태조사
- Kim, Seung-Oh (Department of Dental Anesthesiology, School of Dentistry, Dankook University)
- 김승오 (단국대학교 치과대학 치과마취과학교실)
- Received : 2012.07.20
- Accepted : 2012.11.09
- Published : 2013.02.28
General anesthesia or sedation is an essential for a successful dental treatment for the disabled. The aim of this study is to assess the patients who had dental management under general anesthesia or sedation at Chungnam dental clinic for the disabled, who received dental treatment under general anesthesia, sevoflurane sedation and intravenous sedation from January, 2011 to September 2012. Of the 426 patients studied, 389 patients received dental care under general anesthesia, 20 patients received dental care under sevoflurane sedation and 17 patients received dental care under intravenous sedation. The Rate of general anesthesia was higher than that of sevoflurane sedation, intravenous sedation. Sevoflurane sedation is a useful method for short time treatment such as traumatic pediatric patients. Intravenous sedation is an option for patients who had anxiety and fear such as dentally disabled patients. Sevoflurane or intravenous sedation not only gradually reduces the use of general anesthesia but also useful methods themselves for the dentally disabled.
Dental clinic for the disabled;Survey;General anesthesia;Sevoflurane sedation;Intravenous sedation
Supported by : 단국대학교
- Pediatric dentistry 4th edition, Shin-Heung international, Korean Academy of Pediatric Dentistry, 2007.
- Gwon HG : The status of oral health and dental services in disabled people, Korean Institution of Oral Health, 2003.
- Korean Dental Society of Anesthesiology : Dental Anesthesiology, 2nd edition, Koonja Publishing Company, 539, 607-19, 2010.
- Allen GD, Sim. J : Full mouth restoration under general anesthesia in pedodontic practice, J Dent Child, 34:488-492, 1967.
- Grytten J, Holst D, Dyrberg L, et al. : Some characteristics of patients given dental treatment under general anesthesia. Acta Odontol Scand, 47:1-5, 1989. https://doi.org/10.3109/00016358909004793
- Nathan JE : Behabioral management straegies for young pediatric dental patients with disabilities. J Dent Child, 68:89-101, 2001.
- Seo KS, Shin TJ, Kim HJ et al. : Clinico-statistical Analysis of Cooperation and Anesthetic Induction Method of Dental Patients with Special Needs. J Korean Dental Society of Anesthesiology, 9:9-16, 2009. https://doi.org/10.17245/jkdsa.2009.9.1.9
- Lee DW, Song JS, Lee JH et al. : A survey of dental treatment under outpatient general anesthesia in department of pediatric dentistry and clinic for disabled at Yonsei university dental hospital. J Korean Academy of Pedi Dent, 37:65-72, 2010.
- Koera Employment Promotion Agency for the Disabled Employment Development Institute : 2010 Disabled Statistics. Ministry of Employment and Labor, 2010.
- Kim HN, Baek BJ, Kim JK et al. : A survey of dental treatment under general anesthesia. J Korean Academy of Pedi Dent, 33:317-322, 2006.
- Ganzberg S, Weaver J, Beck FM, McCaffrey G : Use of sevoflurane inhalation sedation for outpatient third molar surgery. Anesth Prog, 46:21-29, 1999.
- Lahoud GY, Averley PA : Comparison of sevoflurane and nitrous oxide mixture with nitrous oxide alone for inhalation conscious sedation in children having dental treatment: a randomised controlled trial. Anaesthesia, 57:446-450, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.0003-2409.2002.02569.x
- Sury MR, Harker H, Thomas ML : Sevoflurane sedation in infants undergoing MRI: a preliminary report. Pediatric Anesthesia, 15:16-22, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1460-9592.2005.01456.x
- De Sanctis Briggs V: Magnetic resonance imaging under sedation in newborns and infants: study of 640 cases using sevoflurane. Pediatric Anesthesia, 15:9-15, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1460-9592.2005.01360.x
- Ryu YS, Kim JS, Kim SO : A Survey of the Outpatient General Anesthesia and Dental Treatment in Chungnam Dental Clinic for the Disabled. J Korean Dental Society of Anesthesiology, 11:133-140, 2011. https://doi.org/10.17245/jkdsa.2011.11.2.133
- Azar I : The response of patients with neuromuscular disorders to muscle relaxants: a review. Anesthesiology, 61:173-87,1984. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000542-198408000-00011
- Lee SS, Lee JH, Kim EJ et al. : Anesthetic management of a patient with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) - A case report -. J Korean Society of Anesthesiology, 55:383-6, 2008. https://doi.org/10.4097/kjae.2008.55.3.383
- Kwon YS, Lim YH, Woo SH et al. : Epidural anesthetic management of a patient with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) - A case report -. J Korean Society of Anesthesiology, 57:361-3, 2009. https://doi.org/10.4097/kjae.2009.57.3.361
- Lee HS, Yang JW, Kim MJ et al. : The result of the dental behavior treatment for the patients with the developmental disorder in seoul dental hospital for disabled. J Korean Association for Disablility an Oral Health, 6:84-93, 2010.
- Jung YJ, Lee KH et al. : A Statistical study of the dental treatment of handicapped patient under general anesthesia. J Korean Academy of Pedi Dent, 19:303-312, 1992.
- Kum JE, No HS, Kim JM et al. : A survey of general anesthesia in pediatric dental clinic at pusan national university. J Korean Association for Disablility an Oral Health, 3:11-16, 2007.
- Lee HJ, Kim YJ, Kim JW et al. : Analysis on the outpatient anesthesia at dental clinic for disabled in seoul national university dental hospital. Korean Academy of Pedi Dent, 31:19-25, 2004.
- Kim JS, Kim SO, Yoo SH et al. : Laboratory and clinical practice of pediatric dentistry. Dae Han Narae publishing company, 1:247-251, 2008.
- Pirwitz B, Schlender M, Enders A, Knauer O : Risks and complications anesthesia with intubation during dental treatment, Rev Stomatol Chir Maxillofac, 98:387-9, 1998.
- Haywood PT, Karalliedde LD: General anesthesia for disabled patients in dental practice. Anesth Prog, 45:134-8, 1998.
- Hartgraves PM, Primosch RE : An evaluation of oral and nasal midazolam for pediatric dental sedation. ASDC J dentistry for children, 61:175-181, 1994.
- Kim SM : Dental care and the state of education and training of dentists for the handicapped. J Korean Academy of Pedi Dent, 28:87-94, 2001.
- Ross N, Drury N : Conscious sedation with sevoflurane. Anaesthesia Tutorial of the Week 188, 07/ 2010:1-5, 2010.
- Montes RG, Bohn RA : Deep sedation with inhaled sevoflurane for pediatric outpatient gastrointestinal endoscopy. Journal of pediatric gastroenterology and nutrition, 31:41-46, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005176-200007000-00010
- Ling Yu, Hongwei Sun, Lan Yao et al : Comparison of effective inspired concentration of sevoflurane in preterm infants with different postconceptual ages. Pediatric Anesthesia, 21:148-152, 2010.
- Ganzberg S, Weaver J, Beck FM, McCaffrey G : Use of sevoflurane inhalation sedation for outpatient third molar surgery. Anesthesia Progress, 46:21-29, 1999.
- Lee WH, Kim HJ, Yeum KW. Inhalational Deep Sedation Using Sevoflurane in Pediatric Dental Patients. J Korean Dental Society of Anesthesiology, 4:90-95, 2004. https://doi.org/10.17245/jkdsa.2004.4.2.90
- Doh RM, Song YG, Kim SO : Use sevoflurane inhalation sedation for disabled dental treatment. J Korean Dental Society of Anesthesiology, 12:125- 129, 2012. https://doi.org/10.17245/jkdsa.2012.12.2.125
- American academy of pediatric dentistry : Guideline on use of anesthesia personnel ing the administration of office-based deep sedation/general anesthesia to the pediatric dental patient. Pediatric dentistry, 33:202-4, 2011.
- Hosey MT : UK National Clinical Guidelines in Paediatric Dentistry. International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry, 12: 359-372, 2002.
- Sevoflurane Sedation Using a Nasal Cannula in Pediatric Patients vol.40, pp.3, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5933/JKAPD.2013.40.3.194
- A Retrospective Statistical Study on Sedation Cases in Department of Pediatric Dentistry at Dankook University Dental Hospital for 5 Years vol.45, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5933/JKAPD.2018.45.1.75