- Volume 17 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Investigation of Damping Ratio of Steel Plate Concrete (SC) Shear Wall by Lateral Loading Test & Impact Test
횡방향 가력실험 및 충격실험을 통한 강판콘크리트(SC) 전단벽의 감쇠비 평가
- Cho, Sung Gook (R&D Center, JACE KOREA Company) ;
- So, Gi Hwan (R&D Center, JACE KOREA Company) ;
- Park, Woong Ki (R&D Center, JACE KOREA Company)
- Received : 2012.12.16
- Accepted : 2013.02.15
- Published : 2013.03.04
Steel plate concrete (SC) composite structure is now being recognized as a promising technology applicable to nuclear power plants as it is faster and suitable for modular construction. It is required to identify its dynamic characteristics prior to perform the seismic design of the SC structure. Particularly, the damping ratio of the structure is one of the critical design factors to control the dynamic response of structure. This paper compares the criteria for the damping ratios of each type of structures which are prescribed in the regulatory guide for the nuclear power plant. In order to identify the damping ratio of SC shear wall, this study made SC wall specimens and conducted experiments by cyclic lateral load tests and vibration tests with impact hammer. During the lateral loading test, SC wall specimens exhibited large ductile capacities with increasing amplitude of loading due to the confinement effects by the steel plate and the damping ratios increased until failure. The experimental results show that the damping ratios increased from about 6% to about 20% by increasing the load from the safe shutdown earthquake level to the ultimate strength level.
Supported by : 한국에너지기술평가원(KETEP)
- Ozaki M, Akita S, Niwa N, Matsuo I, Usami S. Study on Steel Plate Reinforced Concrete Bearing Wall for Nuclear Power Plants Part1; Shear and Bending Loading Tests of SC Walls, SMiRT 16 Conference, 2001;Aug 12-17;Washington, DC, USA.
- Akita S, Ozaki M, Niwa N, Matsuo I, Hara K. Study on Steel Plate Reinforced Concrete Bearing Wall for Nuclear Power Plants Part2; Analytical Method to Evalute Response of SC Walls, SMiRT 16 Conference. 2001;Aug 12-17;Washington, DC, USA.
- Ozakia M, Akitab S, Osugac H, Nakayamad T, Adachic N. Study on Steel Plate Reinforced Concrete Panels Subjected to Cyclic In-Plane Shear. Journal of Nuclear Engineering and Design. 2004;228:225-244. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2003.06.010
- Japan Electric Association Code. Seismic design of steel plate concrete technical regulations. JEAC 4618-2009. 2009.
- Niousha A, Naito Y, Miyasaka E, Uchiyama S. Dynamic Characteristics of a SC Building in Kashiwazaki NPP site using Vibration Test - Part 1: Data analysis and system identification. Transactions, SMiRT 19. 2007 Aug;Toronto.
- Miyasaka E et al., Dynamic Characteristics of a SC Building in Kashiwazaki NPP site using Vibration Test - Par 2: Simulation Analysis, Transactions. SMiRT 19. 2007 Aug;Toronto.
- Danay A, Response of steel-concrete composite panels to in-plane loading, Nuclear Engineering and Design. 2012;242:52-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2011.10.006
- Song JY, Kwon YB, Kim SK. A Study of the Ductility of Concrete- Filled Composite Columns under Cyclic Loading, Earthquake Engineering Society of Korea. 2001;5(6):11-19.
- Han HS, Choi BJ, Han KG. Compression Behavior of Steel Plate-Concrete Structures with the Width-to-Thickness Ratio. Korean Society of Steel Construction. 2011;23(2):229-236.
- Cho SG, So GH, Kim DK, Kwon MH. Experimental Investigation on Lateral Load Capacity and Strength Characteristics of Steel Plate Concrete (SC) Shear Wall. Earthquake Engineering Society of Korea. 2012;16(5):23-32. https://doi.org/10.5000/EESK.2012.16.5.023
- So GH, Cho SG. Investigation of Dynamic Characteristics of SC Wall Structrues by Difference Modeling Techniques. KSCE 2011 Conference. Songdo, Incheon, 2011: 427-430.
- Lee SJ, Kim WK. Damping Ratios for Seismic Design of SC Structures. Korean Society of Steel Construction. 2010;22(5):487-496.
- Seismic Analysis of Safety-Related Nuclear Structures and Commentary. ASCE 4-98. American Society of Civil Engineers; c2000.
- Paz, M. Structural Dynamics, 5th edition, Kluwer Academic Publishers;c2004. p.153-154.
- Hashimoto PS, Steele K, Johnson JJ, Mensing RW. Review of Structure Damping Values for Elastic Seismic Analysis of Nuclear Power Plants. NUREG/CR-6011. EQE Engineering Consultants for the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission. 1993 Mar.
- Bracci JM, Reinhorn AM, Mander JB. Seismic Resistance of Reinforced Concrete Frame Structures Design Only for Gravity Loads. Part I - Desing and Properties of a One-Third Scale Model Structure. Technical Report NCEER-92-0027. National Center for Earthquake Engineering Research;c1992.
- Kim DK. Dynamics of Structures. 2nd edition. Goomibook;c2009.
- STAR Modal Operation Manual. Spectral Dynamics Inc.;c1996.
- USNRC Regulatory Guide 1.61, Damping Values for Seismic Design Of Nuclear Power Plants. U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission; c2007.
- Morante RJ. Recommendations for Revision of Seismic Damping Values in Regulatory Guide 1.61. NUREG/CR-6919, BNL-NUREG- 77174-2006. Brookhaven National Laboratory for the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission;2006.
- KEPIC-SNG Steel-Plate Structure. Korea Electric Association; c2010.
- Study on Reinforcement Effect of Circular RC Columns by Helical Bar Under Cyclic Lateral Load vol.18, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.11112/jksmi.2014.18.1.048
- Analytical performance evaluation of modified inclined studs for steel plate concrete wall subjected to cyclic loads vol.17, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2016.17.2.227