- Volume 42 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Perception of Aseptic Foods in Cancer Patients
멸균식 개발에 대한 암환자의 인식조사
- Lee, Kyung-A (Research Institute Human Ecology, Donga University) ;
- Son, Eun-Joo (Dept. of Nutrition Care, Dongnam Institute of Radiological & Medical Science) ;
- Song, Beom-Seok (Advanced Radiation Technology Institute, Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Jae-Hun (Advanced Radiation Technology Institute, Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Lee, Ju-Woon (Advanced Radiation Technology Institute, Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Lyu, Eun-Soon (Dept. of Food Science & Nutrition, Pukyong National University)
- 이경아 (동아대학교 생활과학연구소) ;
- 손은주 (동남권원자력의학원 영양실) ;
- 송범석 (한국원자력연구원 첨단방사선연구소) ;
- 김재훈 (한국원자력연구원 첨단방사선연구소) ;
- 이주운 (한국원자력연구원 첨단방사선연구소) ;
- 류은순 (부경대학교 식품영양학과)
- Received : 2013.01.04
- Accepted : 2013.01.23
- Published : 2013.02.28
The purpose of this study was to investigate the perception of aseptic foods (sterilized foods with radiation technology) in cancer patients in Busan. The subjects were 192 cancer patients at a hospital. This study was performed through interviews using questionnaires. Patients had perception scores on the need to develop aseptic foods (4.30 points out of 5.00), use aspetic foods (4.06/5.00), and intake aseptic foods (4.04/5.00). Patients less than 59 years old had significantly higher perception scores than those over 60 years old (p<0.05). The scores on aseptic food indicated the importance of various factors, including sanitation (4.86/5.00), good materials (4.82/5.00), nutritional value (4.79/5.00), unused of monosodium glutamate (MSG) (4.66/5.00), taste (4.61/5.00), and reasonable prices (4.60/5.00). The patients who were college graduates showed significantly higher scores and importance in good materials, proper packaging unit, simple cooking methods, food diversity, and familiar foods (p<0.05). In the aseptic menu items, patients wanted to include seasoned raw vegetables (4.11/5.00), a set menu (including cooked grain, soup, and a side dish) (4.08/5.00), seasoned cooked vegetables (4.04/5.00), low sodium kimchi (3.98/5.00), and fermented sauces (3.92/5.00). The patients with gastrointestinal cancer and other cancers (e.g. breast, thyroid, and renal cancer) had significantly higher necessity scores than lung patients for stew, seasoned raw vegetables, salad, low sodium kimchi, and a set menu (p<0.05).
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Lee BS, Park KH, Cho JH. 2011. A study on the effect of selection attributes on consumer satisfaction and repurchase intention about HMR-In case of ready-to-end-cook-. Korean J Culinary Res 50: 85-97.
- Kwak DK, Lee KE, Park HW, Ryu K, Choi EJ, Hong WS, Jang HJ, Kim SH. 1997. The survey of housewives' perception for the development of refrigerated convenience foods for Koreans. Korean J Dietary Culture 12: 391-400.
- Yoon S, Sohn KH, Kwak DK, Kim JS, Kwon DJ. 1998. Consumer trends on dietary and food purchasing behaviors and perception for the convenience foods. Korean J Dietary Culture 13: 197-206.
- Yang IS, Lee JM, Lee YE, Yoon S. 1998. Trends and feasibility of health-oriented convenience foods of Korean food industry. Korean J Dietary Culture 13: 215-225.
- Chung L, Lee HY, Yang IS. 2007. What's the consideration attribute on purchasing the HMR? Korean J Food Culture 22: 315-322.
- Chung YS, Tsutsumi N, Song YO, Park SM, Kim MJ. 2001. The comparison of consumer's behavior between Korean and Japanese in the usage of convenient food items. Journal of Consumption Culture 4: 67-87.
- Yoo CH. 2008. Need and quality assessment of cook/chill system menu for the development of home-delivered therapeutic meal service model. PhD Dissertation. Seoul Women's University, Seoul, Korea. p 3-5.
- Jang HY. 2006. Need assessment of patients and dietitians for convenient therapeutic diets. MS Thesis. Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea. p 30-55.
- Coulston AM, Craig L, Voss AC. 1996. Meals-on-wheels applicants are a population at risk for poor nutritional status. J Am Diet Assoc 96: 570-573. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-8223(96)00157-5
- Kraak VI. 1995. Home-delivered meal programs for homebound people with HIV/AIDS. J Am Diet Assoc 95: 476-481. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-8223(95)00124-7
- Cho YS. 2000. A consumer behavior study for the development of calorie-controlled convenient foods for diabetic patients. MS Thesis. Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea. p 30-31.
- Lee YS, Ryu JH, Kim SH, Kim SB, No JO. 2010. The selfcare and needs assessment of convenience menu for the patients with hypertension and diabetes in Jeonbuk province. Abstract No. A-3 presented at 39th Semiannual Meeting of The East Asian Society of Dietary Life. Seoul, Korea.
- Ministry Health & Welfare, National Cancer Center. 2012. National cancer registration and statistics in 2010. Available at: http://www.cancer.go.kr/ncic/cics_g/cics_g02/cics_g027/1653504_6065.html. accessed on 18 December 2012.
- Ministry Health & Welfare, National Cancer Center. 2012. Cancer facts & figures 2012. Available at: http://www.cancer.go.kr/ncic/cics_g/cics_g02/cics_g027/1649336_6065.html. accessed on 18 December 2012.
- Fearon K, Strasser F, Anker SD, Bosaeus I, Bruera E, Fainsinger RL, Jatoi A, Loprinzi C, MacDonald N, Mantovani G, Davis M, Muscaritoli M, Ottery F, Radbruch L, Ravasco P, Walsh D, Wilcock A, Kaasa S, Baracos VE. 2011. Definition and classification of cancer cachexia: an international consensus. Lancet Oncol 12: 489-495. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(10)70218-7
- Shike M. 1996. Nutrition therapy for the cancer patient. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am 10: 221-234. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0889-8588(05)70336-1
- Dewys WD, Begg C, Lavin PT, Band PR, Bennett JM, Bertino JR, Cohen MH, Douglass HO Jr, Engstrom PF, Ezdinli EZ, Horton J, Johnson GJ, Moertel CG, Oken MM, Perlia C, Rosenbaum C, Silverstein MN, Skeel RT, Sponzo RW, Tormey DC. 1980. Prognostic effect of weight loss prior to chemotherapy in cancer patients. Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group. Am J Med 69: 491-497. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0149-2918(05)80001-3
- Jang SR, Kim HS, Lee YH. 1999. Nutritional assessment and dietary management during anti-cancer chemotherapy in pediatric oncology patients. Korean J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2: 204-210.
- Wie GA. 2011. Nutrition management for cancer patients. Hanyang Med Rev 31: 211-219. https://doi.org/10.7599/hmr.2011.31.4.211
- Han IJ, Park JN, Park JG, Song BS, Lee JW, Kim JH, Ryu HS, Park JR, Chun SS. 2011. Quality characteristics of milk porridge (Tarakjuk) sterilized with radiation technology. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 40: 885-891. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.6.885
- Lee KH, Byun MW. 2007. Quality changes of Kimchi manufactured with sanitized materials by ozone and gamma irradiation during storage. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 36: 216-221. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2007.36.2.216
- Byun MW. 1997. Application and aspect of irradiation technology in food industry. Food Sci Ind 30: 89-100.
- WHO. 1999. High-does irradiation: wholesomeness of food irradiated with doses above 10 kGy. Technical report 890. Geneva, Switzerland.
- Korea Food & Drug Administration. 2012. Revision announcement of food standards and specifications. Available at: http://www.kfda.go.kr/index.kfda?mid=95&seq=5265& cmd=v. acessed on 23 December 2012.
- Kim HY, Oh SW, Chung SY, Choi SH, Lee JW, Yang JY, Seo EC, Kim YH, Park HO, Yang CY, Ha SC, Shin IS. 2011. An investigation of microbial contamination of ready-toeat products in Seoul, Korea. Korean J Food Sci Technol 43: 39-44. https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2011.43.1.039
- Park JY, Kim JN, Hong WS, Shin WS. 2012. Survey on present use and future demand for the convenience food in the elderly group. Korean J Community Nutr 17: 81-90. https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2012.17.1.81