- Volume 26 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Prediction of Ballistic Limit for Composite Laminates Subjected to High-velocity Impact Using Static Perforation Test
정적압입 관통 실험을 이용한 복합재 적층판의 고속충격 탄도한계속도 예측
- Received : 2012.10.02
- Accepted : 2013.02.12
- Published : 2013.02.28
The ballistic limit of Carbon/Epoxy composite laminates with the finite effective area are predicted by using the quasi-static perforation test and semi-empirical formula. The perforation energy were calculated from force-displacement curve in quasi-static perforation test. Also, the actual ballistic limit and penetration energy were obtained through the high-velocity impact test. The quasi-static perforation test and high-velocity impact test were conducted for the specimens with 3 different effective areas. In the high-velocity impact test, the air gun impact tester were used, and the ballistic and residual velocity was measured. The required inputs for the semi-empirical formula were determined by the quasi-static perforation tests and high-velocity impact tests. The comparison between semi-empirical formula and high-velocity impact test results were conducted and examined. The ballistic limits predicted by semi-empirical formula were agreed well with high-velocity impact test results.
Supported by : 국방과학연구소
- Abrate, S., "Impact on Lamina Composite Materials," Applied Mechanics Review, Vol. 44 No. 4 , 1991, pp. 155-190. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3119500
- Ruiz, C., and Harding, J., Modelling Impact of Composite Structures Using Small Specimens in Impact Behaviour of Fiver-reinforced Composite materials and Structures, Woodhead Publishing Ltd., 2000.
- Reid, S.R., and Wen, H.M., Impact Behaviour of Fiberreinforced Composite Materials and Structures, CRC Press, 2000, pp. 237-279.
- Sun, C.T., and Potti, S.V., "A Simple Model to Predict Residual Velocities of Thick Composite Laminates Subjected to High Velocity Impact," International Journal of Impact Engineering, Vol. 18, No. 3, 1996, pp. 339-353. https://doi.org/10.1016/0734-743X(96)89053-1
- Potti, S.V., and Sun, C.T., "Prediction of Impact Induced Penetration and Delamination in Thick Composite Laminates," International Journal of Impact Engineering, Vol. 19, No. 1, 1997, pp. 31-48. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0734-743X(96)00005-X
- Mines, R.A.W., Roach, A.M., and Jones, N., "High Velocity Perforation Behaviour of Polymer Composite Laminates," International Journal of Impact Engineering, Vol. 22, No. 6, 1999, pp. 561-588. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0734-743X(99)00019-6
- Ulven, C., Vaidya, U.K., Hosur, M.V., "Effect of Projectile Shape During Ballistic Perforation of VARTM Carbon/Epoxy Composite Panels," Composite Structures, Vol. 61, No. 1-2, 2003, pp. 143-150. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-8223(03)00037-0
- Wen, H.M., "Predicting the Penetration and Perforation of FRP Laminates Struck Normally by Projectiles with Different Nose Shapes," Composite Structures, Vol. 49, No. 3, 2000, pp. 321-329. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-8223(00)00064-7
- You, W.Y., Lee, S.J., Kim, I.G., and Kim, J.H., "Prediction of the Penetration Energy for Composite Laminates Subjected to High-velocity Impact Using the Static Perforation Test," Journal of the Korean Society for Composite Materials, Vol. 25, No. 5, 2012, pp. 147-153. https://doi.org/10.7234/kscm.2012.25.5.147