- Volume 19 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Survey on Current State of Odor Emission and Control from Livestock Operations
축산농장의 악취 발생과 관리에 관한 실태조사
- Received : 2013.10.31
- Accepted : 2013.12.08
- Published : 2013.12.30
This survey was conducted to investigate the current state of odor emission and control from 48 site of Hanwoo, dairy, swine and poultry farms in Korea. On-site complex odors assessment by the method of 6 step direct sensory evaluation and ammonia concentrations by portable gas detector on the boundary line of farms were evaluated and detected as 1.11 & 2.78 ppm, 1.67 & 2.56 ppm, 1.91 & 2.89 ppm, 1.8 & 2.4 ppm and 1.33 & 2.33 ppm, respectively. Almost of Hanwoo, dairy and poultry farms were nothing the complaints occurred for the last 2 years, however as 60% of swine farms were suffered odor complain. All of livestock operations were used the additives for improving the farm environment and spent the considerable costs for odor reduction. There were several plans almost farms, as a fortify maintenance, keep clean, tree planting, expansion facilities for manure treatment or odor reduction.
On-site odor;Complex odors;Ammonia;Livestock operations
- Arya, S., 1999. Air pollution meteorology and dispersion. Oxford University Press. New York.
- Beyers, M., Waechter, B., 2008. Modeling transient snowdrift development around complex three-dimensional structures. Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics. 96, 1603-1615. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2008.02.032
- Chung, K.H., Han, J.C., Kwag, S.J., Chung, J.D., Lee, J.W., Kim, D.H., 2008. Effects of Enzyme Complex on Odor Emission from Swine Slurry and Swine Buildings. J. Lives. Hous. Env. 14, 15-22.
- Guo, H., Jacobson, L.D., Schmidt, D.R., Nicolai, R.E., 2003. Evaluation of the influence of atmospheric conditions on odor dispersion from animal production sites. Transactions of ASAE. 46, 461-466.
- Kim, K.Y., Choi, J.H., 2013. Distribution characteristics of odorous compounds concentrations according to type of pig buildings. J. Kor. Soc. Odor Res. Eng. 12, 27-37. https://doi.org/10.11161/jkosore.2013.12.1.27
- Kim, D.H. et al., 2006. Odor survey in swine farm and its reduction strategy. Korea Swine Producers Association.
- Schiffman, S.S., Bennett, J.L., Raymer, J.H., 2001. Quantification of odors and odorants from swine operations in North Carolina. Agric. Forest Meteor. 108, 213−240. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1923(01)00239-8
- Kim, D.H., Kim, I.B., 1999. A review of the odor control from inside of swine production facilities. J. Lives. Hous. Env. 5, 203-216.
- Park, G.H., Oh, G.Y., Jung, K.H., Jung, S.Y., Cha, G.S., 2005. The Odor characteristics of livestock raising facility J. Kor. Soc. Odor Res. Eng. 4, 207-215.
- Schiffman, S.S., 1998. Livestock odors: Implications for human health and wellbeing. J. Anim. Sci. 76, 1343-1355.
- Song, J.I., Jeon, J.H., Park, K.H., Yoo, Y.H., Kim, D.H., 2011. Conducted to verify the effect of chlorine dioxide(ClO2) on odor reduction at a commercial swine facility. J. Lives. Hous. Env. 18(suppl.), 43-50.
- Yang, Y., Gu, M., Chen, S., Jin. X., 2009. New inflow boundary conditions for modelling the neutral equilibrium atmospheric boundary layer in computational wind engineering. Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics. 97, 88-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2008.12.001
- A Study on Dispersion Characteristics of Odor from Swine Farms vol.20, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.11109/JAES.2014.20.2.41
- A Study on Dispersion Characteristics of Odor from Hanwoo and Dairy Farms vol.21, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.11109/JAES.2015.21.1.1
- The effect of liquid manure circulation system on the odor reduction of swine farm vol.49, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.14397/jals.2015.49.4.57
Supported by : 한국연구재단, 농촌진흥청