- Volume 4 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Housing and Welfare in Western Europe: Transformations and Challenges for the Social Rented Sector
- Ronald, Richard (Centre for Urban Studies, University of Amsterdam)
- Received : 2012.12.24
- Accepted : 2013.01.24
- Published : 2013.01.30
In the post-war period, the mass provision of social rental housing units represented the primary means for resolving housing welfare issues across much of Western Europe. In contrast to North America, large swathes of state subsidized rental housing where built and let-out at submarket rents, both to needy as well as regular working households. By the 1980s social housing accounted for as many as four in ten homes in some contexts. Since then however, these important welfare sectors have been under attack. On the one hand, privatization policies have continued to undermine the basis of social renting with home ownership and private rental sectors advanced by policy as preferable alternatives. On the other hand, social housing providers have been restructured in order to play a more residual role in the housing market and serve more targeted groups of socially vulnerable people. This paper assesses key differences in the development of West European social housing sectors as well as recent transformations in their status that represent a challenge their sustainability. It also looks to what insights this provides for the South Korean housing context where public housing has proliferated and been increasingly diversified in recent years.
Grant : ERC Starting Grant HOUWEL
Supported by : European Research Council
- Aalbers, M. B. (2004), "Promoting home ownership in a socialrented city: policies, practices and pitfalls", Housing Studies, 19(3): 483-495. https://doi.org/10.1080/0267303042000204340
- Boelhouwer, P. J. (2002), "Trends in Dutch housing policy and the shifting position of the social rented sector", Urban Studies, 39(2): 219-235. https://doi.org/10.1080/00420980120102939
- Burrows, R. (2003), Poverty and Home Ownership in Contemporary Britain, Bristol, Policy Press.
- CECODHAS (2012), Housing Europe Review, Brussels, The Federation for Public, Cooperative and Social Housing, http://www.housingeurope.eu/www.housingeurope.eu/uploads/file_/HER%20 2012%20EN%20web2_1.pdf.
- Conijn, J. (2008), Subsidiering van de woonconsumptie: een zinloos schip van bijleg, in F. J. H Don (ed), Agenda voor de woningmarkt, The Hague, Koninklijke Vereniging voor de Stathuishoudkunde.
- Cowans, J. and D. Maclennan (2008), Visions for Social Housing: International Perspectives, London, Smith Institute.
- Crouch, C. (2009), "Privatized Keynesianism: an unacknowledged policy regime", British Journal of Politics and International Relations, 11(3): 382-399. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-856X.2009.00377.x
- Czischke, D. (2009), "Managing social rental housing in the EU: A comparative study", European Journal of Housing Policy, 8(2): 121-151.
- Czischke, D. K., V. H. Gruis and D. W. Mullins (2010), "Conceptualizing social enterprise in housing organisations", Urban dynamics and housing change ENHR Conference Paper, Istanbul.
- Doling, J. (1999), "Housing policies and the little tigers: How do they compare with the other industrialised countries", Housing Studies, 14(2): 229-250. https://doi.org/10.1080/02673039982939
- Doling, J. and J. Ford (2007), "A Union of Home Owners", Editorial, European Journal of Housing and Planning, 7(2): 113-127. https://doi.org/10.1080/14616710701309446
- Doling, J. and R. Ronald (2010), "Housing and asset based welfare", Journal of Housing and the Built Environment, 25(2): 165-173. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10901-009-9177-6
- Doling, J. and R. Ronald (2010), "Property-based welfare and European homeowners: how would housing perform as a pension?", Journal of Housing and the Built Environment, 25(2): 227-241. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10901-010-9184-7
- Effosse, S. (2003), L'invention du logement aide, CHEFF editions, Paris.
- Ekkers, P. and J. K. Helderman (2010), Van Volkshuisvesting naar woonbeleid, SDU Press, Den Haag.
- Elsinga, M, M. Haffner and H. van der Heijden (2008), "Threats to the Dutch unitary rental market", European Journal of Housing Policy, 8(1): 21-37. https://doi.org/10.1080/14616710701817141
- Forrest, R and A. Murie (1988), Selling the Welfare State: The Privatisation of Public Housing, London, Routledge.
- Fitzpatrick, S. and H. Pawson (2011), Security of Tenure in social housing: an international review, London, Shelter.
- Fitzpatrick, S. and M. Stephens (2008), The Future of Social Housing, London, Shelter.
- Ghekiere, L. (2007), Le developpement du logement social dans l'Union Europeenne. Quand l'interet general rencontre l'interet communautaire CECODHAS-USH-Dexia, Dexia Editions, Paris.
- Goetz, E. G. (2003), Clearing the Way: Deconcentrating the Poor in Urban America. Washington, D.C., The Urban Institute Press.
- Gurney, C. (1999b), "Pride and prejudice: discourses of normalisation in private and public accounts of home ownership", Housing Studies, 14(2): 163-183. https://doi.org/10.1080/02673039982902
- Gray, P. and U. McAnulty (2008), "The increased role of the private rented sector in catering for low-income groups in Northern Ireland", European Journal of Housing Policy, 8(4): 361-377. https://doi.org/10.1080/14616710802449588
- Ha, S. K. (2004), Housing Policy and Practice in Korea, Seoul, Pakyoungsa.
- Harloe, M. (1995), The people's home? Social rented housing in Europe & America, Oxford, Blackwell.
- Hills, J. (2007), Ends and Means: The future roles of social housing in England, London, Centre for the Analysis of Social Exclusion.
- Holmans, A. (2005), The Context of Housing Policy since 1975, Statistical Time Series with Commentary, London, Office of the Deputy Prime Minister.
- Kemeny, J. (1995), From Public Housing to the Social Market: Rental Policy Strategies in Comparative Perspective, London, Routledge.
- Kwon, H. J. (2003), Advocacy coalitions and the politics of welfare in Korea after the economic crisis, Policy and Politics, 31(1): 69-83. https://doi.org/10.1332/030557303321095671
- Lee, H. and R. Ronald (2012) "Expansion, diversification, and hybridization in Korean public housing", Housing Studies, 27(4): 495-513. https://doi.org/10.1080/02673037.2012.677018
- Levy-Vroelant, C. and C. Reinprecht (2008), Housing the poor in Paris and Vienna: The changing understanding of 'social', in K. Scanlon and C. Whitehead (eds), Social Housing in Europe II. A Review of Policies and Outcomes, LSE Press, London.
- Malpass, P. (2005), Housing and the Welfare State, Basingstoke, Palgrave Macmillan
- Malpass, P. and C. Victory (2010), "The modernisation of social housing in England", International Journal of Housing Policy, 10(1).
- Merrett, S. (1979), State Housing in Britain, London, Routledge and Kegan Paul.
- Musterd, S, R. van Kempen and R. Rowlands (2010), "Mass Housing Estates on Different Tracks, in R. Rowlands, S. Musterd and R. van Kempen (eds)", Mass Housing in Europe: Multiple Faces of Development, Change and Response, Basingstoke, Palgrave Macmillan.
- Mullins, D., D. Czischke and G. van Bortel (2012), "Exploring the Meaning of Hybridity and Social Enterprise in Housing Organizations", Housing Studies 27(4): 405-417. https://doi.org/10.1080/02673037.2012.689171
- Ouwehand, A., G. van Daalen (2002), Dutch Housing Associations. A Model for Social Housing, Delft, Delft University Press.
- Pawson, H. and D. Mullins (2010), After Council Housing: Britain's New Social Landlords, Basingstoke, Palgrave Macmillan.
- Park, S. Y. (2007), "The state of housing policy in Korea, in: R. Groves", A. Murie and C. Watson (Eds), Housing and the New Welfare State: Perspectives from East Asia and Europe, Aldershot: Ashgate.
- Priemus, H. (1996), "Recent changes in the social rented sector in the Netherlands", Urban Studies, 33(10): 1891-1908. https://doi.org/10.1080/0042098966448
- Priemus, H. and F. Dieleman (2002), "Social housing policy in the European Union: past, present and perspectives", Urban Studies 39(2): 191-200. https://doi.org/10.1080/00420980120102911
- Priemus, H. and V. Gruis (2011), "Social housing and illegal state aid: The Agreement between European commission and Dutch government", International Journal of Housing Policy, 11(1): 89-104. https://doi.org/10.1080/14616718.2011.548588
- Rhodes, M. L. and D. Mullins (2009), "Market concepts, coordination mechanisms and new actors in social housing", International Journal of Housing Policy, 9(2): 107-119. https://doi.org/10.1080/14616710902920199
- Ronald, R. (2008), The Ideology of Home Ownership: Homeowner Societies and the role of Housing, Basingstoke, Palgrave Macmillan.
- Ronald, R. and K. Dol (2011), "Housing in the Netherlands before and after the global financial crisis", In R. Forrest & M.N. Yip (eds), Housing Markets and the Global Financial Crisis. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.
- Ronald, R. and J. Doling (2010), "Shifting East Asian Approaches to Home Ownership and the Housing Welfare Pillar", International Journal of Housing Policy, 10(3): 233-254. https://doi.org/10.1080/14616718.2010.506740
- Ronald, R. and M. Elsinga (2012), Beyond Home Ownership: Housing Welfare and Society, London and New York, Routledge.
- Ronald, R. and M. Y. Jin (2010), "Home ownership in South Korea: examining sector underdevelopment", Urban Studies, 47(11): 2367-2388. https://doi.org/10.1177/0042098009357967
- Scanlon, K. and C. Whitehead (2007), Social Housing in Europe, London, LSE Press.
- Titmuss, R. (1958) Essays on the Welfare State, London, Allen and Unwin.
- van der Schaar, Jan (1987), Groei en bloei van het Nederlandse volkshuisvestingsbeleid, Delft, Delft University Press.
- van Gent, W. P. C., S. Musterd and W. J. M. Ostendorf (2009), "Bridging the social divide? Contemporary Dutch neighbourhood policy", Journal of Housing and the Built Environment, 24(3): 357-368. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10901-009-9144-2
- van der Veer, J. and D. Schuiling (2005), "The Amsterdam housing market and the role of housing associations", Journal of Housing and the Built Environment, 20: 167-181. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10901-005-9004-7
- Wilcox, S. (2012), UK Housing Finance Review, http://www.york. ac.uk/res/ukhr/index.htm.
- Woongarant (2012), http://www.woongarant.nl/.
- An exploration of concepts and polices on ‘affordable housing’ in England, Italy, Poland and The Netherlands pp.1573-7772, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10901-018-9598-1