- Volume 19 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Development of an Ecological Model to Improve Health Care Management for Children in Child Care Centers
보육시설 아동의 건강관리향상을 위한 생태학적 모형 개발
- Park, Eun-Sook (Korea University College of Nursing) ;
- Im, Yeo-Jin (Korea University College of Nursing) ;
- Cho, Eun-Ji (Korea University College of Nursing)
- Received : 2013.01.14
- Accepted : 2013.01.21
- Published : 2013.01.31
Purpose: This study was conducted to identify current health care management and barriers in health care management according to ecological systems, and to develop an ecological model for enhancing health care in child care centers. Methods: Focus group interviews were conducted with directors and teachers of child care centers, and with parents of children enrolled in child care. Data were analyzed by the latent content analysis method. Results: Twelve categories of health care management were identified. Barriers to child health care included knowledge deficit and lack of competence in health care by teachers, lack of useful health care manuals, non-existence of professional child health care personnel in child care centers, lack of mutual information sharing and disagreement on child health conditions between child care personnel and parents, lack of specific health related child care inspection criteria and time flexible child care centers with a lack of policy on collaboration with health care facilities. The ecological model developed included specific strategies to improve health care management in child care. Conclusion: The proposed ecological model to improve child health care management should be useful to plan future health care program considering both the immediate and indirect social environment surrounding children in child care.
Supported by : Korea Research Foundation
- Alkon, A., Farrer, J., & Bernzweig, J. (2004). Child care health consultants' roles and responsibilities: Focus group findings. Pediatric Nursing, 30, 315-321.
- American Public Health Association and American Academy of Pediatrics (2002). Caring for out children-national health and safety performance standards: guidelines for out-of-home child care. 2nd ed. Elk Grove Village, IL, USA.
- Bang, K. S. (2005). Effect of community based child safety education program for child care teachers. Korean Parent-Child Health Journal, 8, 23-36.
- Benjamin, S. E., Tate, D. F., Bangdiwala, S. I., Neelon, B, H., Ammerman, A. S., Dodds, J. M., et al. (2008). Preparing child care health consultants to address childhood overweight: A randomized controlled trial comparing web to in-person training. Maternal and Child Health Journal, 12, 662-669. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10995-007-0277-1. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10995-007-0277-1
- Bronfenbrenner, U. (1979). The ecology of human development: Experiments by nature and design. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Choi, N. Y., Jeon, M. Y., Seo, H. M., Seok, J. W., Kim, M. S., & Jeong, H. C. (2010). Development and evaluation of a combined health promotion program for preschool children. Journal of Korean Academy of Child Health Nursing, 16, 314-323. https://doi.org/10.4094/jkachn.2010.16.4.314
- Crowley, A. A. (2001). Child care health consultation: An ecological model. Journal for Specialists in Pediatric Nursing, 6, 170-180. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6155.2001.tb00241.x
- Crowley, A. A., & Kulikowich, J. M. (2009). Impact of training on child care health consultant knowledge and practice, Pediatric Nursing, 35, 93-100.
- Crowley, A. A., & Sabatelli, R. M. (2008). Collaborative childcare health consultation: A conceptual model. Journal for Specialists in Pediatric Nursing, 13, 74-88. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6155.2008.00139.x
- Dellert, J. C., Gasalberti, D., Sternas, K., Lucarelli, P., & Hall, J. (2006). Outcomes of child care health consultation services for child care providers in New Jersey: A pilot study. Pediatric Nursing, 32, 530-565.
- Eun, B. L., Kim, S. W., Kim, Y. K., Kim, J. W., Moon, J. S., Park, S. K., et al. (2007). Introduction of national health screening program for infant and children. Journal of the Korea Child Neurology Society, 15, 142-147.
- Gaines, S. K., Wold, J. L., Bean, M. R., Brannon, C. G., & Leary, J. M. (2004). Partnership to build sustainable public health nurse child care health support, Family Community Health, 28, 346-354.
- Gupta, R. S., Shuman, S., Taveras, E. M., Kulldorff, M., & Finkelstein, J. A. (2005). Opportunities for health promotion education in child care. Pediatrics, 116, 499-505. http://dx.doi.org/10.1542/peds.2005-0467 https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2005-0467
- Han, K. J., & Kim, J. S. (2007). Parent's needs for center-based child care health program. Child Health Nursing Research, 13, 43-50.
- Han, K. J., Bang, K. S., Kwon, M. K., Kim, J. S., Choi, M. Y., & Huh, B. Y. (2010). Development of visiting nurse's service model in child day-care centers. Journal of the Korean Society of Maternal and Child Health, 14, 57-73.
- Han, K. J., Kim, J. S., & Choi, M. Y. (2009). Assessment of health status in children and healthcare needs in the day care centers. Journal of the Korean Society of Maternal and Child Health, 13, 220-233.
- Hwang, N. M. (2008). Future directions of maternal and child health policy for healthy start in life. Health and Welfare Policy Forum, 7, 5-19.
- Kim, H. J., & Kim, C. N. (2001). Review of literatures on focus group method in qualitative study. Keimyung Journal of Nursing Science, 5, 1-21.
- Kim, H. S., Ra, J. S., Lee, H. J., & Choi, E. K. (2008). Health management status of day care centers. Journal of Korean Academy of Child Health Nursing, 14, 295-304.
- Kim, H. S., Lee, C. Y., Lee, T. H., & Ham, O. K. (2006). Health education and health care in daycare centers for preschoolers. Journal of Korean Society for Health Education and Promotion, 23, 109-123.
- Kim, I. O., & Kang, R. H. (2005). A survey on the health examination of child care centers. Journal of Korean Academy of Child Health Nursing, 11, 308-315.
- Kim, J. S. (2006). Health status of children in the day care centers. Korean Parent-Child Health Journal, 10, 13-24.
- Kim, J. S. (2010). Development and effect of a web-based child health care program for the sta at child daycare centers. Journal of Korean Academy Nursing, 40, 213-224. http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2010.40.2.213. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2010.40.2.213
- Kim, J. S., & Han, K. J. (2006). Health problems and health services in child day care centers. Korean Journal of Child Health Nursing, 12, 25-33.
- Kim, S. J., Yang, S. O., Lee, S. H., Lee, J. E., Kim, S. H., & Kang, K. A. (2011). Development and evaluation of a child health care protocol for child day care center teachers. Journal of Korean Academy of Child Health Nursing, 17, 74-83. https://doi.org/10.4094/jkachn.2011.17.2.74
- Lee, S. M., & Jo, M. S. (2010). Early child care teachers' treatment method on emergency situation at early childhood education setting. Journal of Future Early Childhood Education, 17(4), 55-80.
- Morse, J. M., & Field, F. A. (1995). Qualitative research methods for health professional. 2nd ed. SAGE Publications.
- Oh, K. S., Sim, M. Y., & Choi, E. K. (2009). Effect of an education program on child health and safety for child care teachers. Journal of Korean Academy of Child Health Nursing, 15, 5-14. https://doi.org/10.4094/jkachn.2009.15.1.5
- Park, J. Y., & Chung, M. J. (2009). A study of child care teachers' recognition of infants' and preschoolers' mental health. Korean Journal of Family Welfare, 14, 237-260.
- Statistics Korea. (2009). National survey on child care services. Daejeon: Statistics Korea.