- Volume 19 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Quality of Life in Children and Adolescents with Cancer
소아청소년 암환자의 삶의 질
- Lee, Jung-Won (Cardiovascular Center, Seoul St. Mary's Hospital, The Catholic University) ;
- Han, Ji-Eun (Department of Nursing, Korea Nazarene University) ;
- Park, Ho-Ran (College of Nursing, The Catholic University of Korea)
- Received : 2013.01.04
- Accepted : 2013.01.21
- Published : 2013.01.31
Purpose: This study was done to provide basic data for developing nursing interventions to enhance quality of life of pediatric patients with cancer (children and adolescents) by examining the quality of life and related factors. Methods: Participants were 134; 67 pediatric patients and 67 parents. The PedsQL
- Baggott, C. R., Dodd, M., Kennedy, C., Marina, N., Matthay, K. K., Cooper, B., et al. (2010). An evaluation of the factors that affect the healthrelated quality of life of children following myelosuppressive chemotherapy. Support Care Cancer, 19, 353-361.
- Cantrell, M. A. (2007). Health-related quality of life in childhood cancer: State of the science. Oncology Nursing Forum, 34, 103-111. https://doi.org/10.1188/07.ONF.103-111
- Cho, S. Y., Shin, H. Y., Choi, M. S., & Choi, H. Y. (2009). Survey of Korean elementary school children's happiness. Korean Journal of Child Studies, 30, 129-144.
- Eddy, L., & Cruz, M. (2007). The relationship between fatigue and qulality of life in chidren with chronic health problems: A systemic review. Journal for Specialists in Pediatric Nursing, 12, 105-114. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6155.2007.00099.x
- Eiser, C., & Morse, R. (2001). Quality of life measures in chronic diseases of childhood. Health Technology Assessment, 5, 1-162.
- Fayed, N., Schiariti, V., Bostan, C., Cieza, A., & Klassen, A. (2011). Health status and QOL instruments used in childhood cancer research: Deciphering conceptual content using world health organization denitions. Quality of Life Research, 20, 1247-1258. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11136-011-9851-5
- Ferrell, B., Grant, M., Padilla, G., Vemuri, S., & Rhiner, M. (1991). The experience of pain and perceptions of quality of life: Validation of a conceptual model. Hospice Journal, 7, 9-24.
- Han, K. J., Yi, Y. H., Sim, I. O., & Choi, Y. J. (2005). Dimensions and attributes of quality of life in Korean school-age children. Korean Journal of Child Health Nursing, 11, 167-178.
- Hicks, J., Bartholomew, J., Ward-Smith, P., & Hutto, C. J. (2003). Qulality of life among childhood leukemia patients. Journal of Pediatric Oncology Nursing, 20, 192-200. https://doi.org/10.1177/1043454203253969
- Hinds, P. S., Billups, C. A., Cao, X., Gattuso, J. S., Burghen, E., West, N., et al. (2009). Health related quality of life in adolescents at the time of diagnosis with osteosarcoma or acute myeloid leukemia. European Journal of Oncology Nursing, 13, 156-163. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejon.2008.08.003
- Hinds, P. S., Gattuso, J. S., Fletcher, A., Baker, E., Coleman, B., Jackson, T., et al. (2004). Quality of life as conveyed by pediatric patients with cancer. Journal of Quality of Life Research, 13, 761-772. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:QURE.0000021697.43165.87
- Hinds, P. S. (2010). Progress in quality of life in children and adolescents with cancer. Seminars in Oncology Nursing, 26, 18-25. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soncn.2009.11.004
- Kim, M. H., Chung, C. M., Rhee, M. A., Ryu, C. J., Won, S. C., & Shin, Y. J. (2011). Discrepancy between parent and child report on quality of life and behavioral problems in child and adolescent cancer survivors and healthy control group. The Korean Journal of Health Psychology, 16, 483- 500.
- Klassen, A. F., Anthony, S. J., Khan, A., Sung, L., & Klaassen, R. (2011). Identifying determinants of quality of life of children with cancer and childhood cancer survivors: A systematic review. Support Care Cancer, 19, 1275-1287. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-011-1193-x
- Korea Youth Research Association. (2003). Adolescence. Seoul: YangSue- Won Publishing Co.
- Lee, J. W., & Park, H. R. (2010). Fatigue in pediatric cancer patients. Journal of Korean Academy Child Health Nursing, 16, 66-72. https://doi.org/10.4094/jkachn.2010.16.1.66
- Lee, B. R., & Park, H. J. (2011). Self-reported quality of life in Korean schoolage children. The Korean Journal of Development Psychology, 24, 129-152.
- Meeske, K., Katz, E. R., Palmer, S. N., Burwinkle, T., & Varni, J. W. (2004). Parent proxy-reported health-related quality of life and fatigue in pediatric patients diagnosed with brain tumors and acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Cancer, 101, 2116-2125. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.20609
- Meeske, K. A., Patel, S. K., Palmer, S. N., Nelson, M. B., & Parow, A. M. (2007). Factors associated with health-related quality of life in pediatric cancer survivors. Pediatric Blood Cancer, 49, 298-305. https://doi.org/10.1002/pbc.20923
- Ministry for Health and Welfare. (2010, December). Annual report of cancer statistics in Korea in 2008. Seoul: Author.
- Nathan, P. C., Furlong, W., & Barr, R. D. (2004). Challenges to the measurement of health-related quality of life in children receiving cancer therapy. Pediatric Blood Cancer, 43, 215-223. https://doi.org/10.1002/pbc.20096
- National Cancer Information Center data. (2012, December 27). Cancer statistics in Korea in 2010. Retrieved January 10, 2013, from http://www. cancer.go.kr.
- Park, E. S., Oh, W. O., Suk, M. H., & Yoon, Y. M. (2009). From their own response: Experiences of Korean children with chronic illness and their family. Journal of Korean Academy of Child Health Nursing, 15, 350-358. https://doi.org/10.4094/jkachn.2009.15.4.350
- Shin, H. G., Yoo, I. Y., & Oh, E. G. (2010). Relationship between quality of life and parenting attitude and parent-child communication patterns of school age children. Journal of Korean Academy Child Health Nursing, 16, 220-229. https://doi.org/10.4094/jkachn.2010.16.3.220
- Sitaresmi, M. N., Mostert, S., Gundy, C. M., Sutaryo, & Veerman, A. J. (2008). Health-related quality of life assessment in Indonesian childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, 6(96), http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1477-7525-6-96
- Sung, L., Yanofsky, R., Klaassen, R. J., Dix, D., Pritchard, S., Winick, N., et al. (2011). Quality of life during active treatment for pediatric acute lymphoblastic leukemia. International Journal of Cancer, 128, 1213-1220. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.25433
- Tsuji, N., Kakee, N., Ishida, Y., Asami, K., Tabuchi, K., Nakadate, H., et al. (2011). Validation of the Japanese version of the pediatric quality of life inventory (PedsQL) cancer module. Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, 9(22), http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1477-7525-9-22
- Varni, J. W., Burwinkle, T. M., Katz, E. R., Meeske, K., & Dickinson, P. (2002). The PedsQL in pediatric cancer: Reliability and validity of pediatric quality of life inventory generic core scales, multidimensional fatigue scale, and cancer module. Cancer, 94, 2090-2106. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.10428