- Volume 46 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of Soil Loss According to Surface Covering and Tillage Methods in Corn Cultivation
- Lee, Jeong-Tae (Highland Agriculture Research Center, National Institute of Crop Science, RDA) ;
- Lee, Gye-Jun (Highland Agriculture Research Center, National Institute of Crop Science, RDA) ;
- Ryu, Jong-Soo (Highland Agriculture Research Center, National Institute of Crop Science, RDA) ;
- Kim, Jeom-Soon (Highland Agriculture Research Center, National Institute of Crop Science, RDA) ;
- Han, Kyung-Hwa (National Academy of Agricultural Science, RDA) ;
- Park, Seok-Ho (National Academy of Agricultural Science, RDA)
- Received : 2013.10.08
- Accepted : 2013.11.22
- Published : 2013.12.31
Corn was mainly cultivated in slope land during summer season when heavy rain falls so that soil loss occurs severely. Especially, soil disturbance and exposure of topsoil by conventional tillage intensifies soil loss by heavy rain. The aim of this study was to develop surface covering and tillage methods for reducing soil loss in corn cultivation. The experiment was conducted in 17% sloped lysimeter with 8 treatments including strip tillage after surface covering with rye residue, strip tillage after residue covering of several crops and sod culture, black polyethylene film covering after conventional tillage and control. Amount of runoff water and eroded soil, and corn growth were investigated. Amounts of runoff water in all plots except black polyethylene plot ranged from 152 to 375
Corn;Covering method;Runoff water;Soil loss;Strip tillage
Grant : Cooperative Research Program for Agricultural Science & Technology Development
Supported by : Rural Development Administration
- Baver, L.D., W.H. Gardner, and W.R. Gardner. 1972. Soil physics. Hohn Willey and Sons Inc.
- Cruse, R.M. 2002. Strip tillage effects on crop production and soil erosion. Iowa State University.
- Duran, Z.V.H. and P.C.R. Rodriguez. 2008. Soil-erosion and runoff prevention by plant covers, Review. Agron. Sustainable Dev. 28:143-149.
- Duran, Z.V.H., P.C.R. Rodriguez, P.F.J. Martin, J. de Graaff. M.J.R. Francia, and D.C. Flanagan. 2011. Environmental impact of introducing plant covers in the taluses of terraces: Implications for mitigating agricultural soil erosion and runoff. Catena 84:79-88. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.catena.2010.10.004
- FAO. 2000. Manual on integrated soil management and conservation practices. FAO Land and Water Bulletin 8 ISSN pp. 1024-6073.
- Foster, G.R., D.K. McCool, K.G. Renard, and W.C. Moldenhauser. 1981. Conversion of the universal soil loss equation to SI units. J. Soil Water Conserv. 36(6):355-359.
- Hur, S.O., K.H. Jung, S.K. Ha, H.K. Kwak, and J.K. Kim. 2005. Mathematical description of soil loss by runoff at inclined upland of maize cultivation. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 38(2):66-71.
- Jung, K.H., W.T. Kim, S.O. HUR, S.K. Ha, P.K. Jung, and Y.S. Jung. 2004. USLE/RUSLE factors for national scale soil loss estimation based on the digital detailed soil map. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 37(4):199-206.
- Jung, P.K, M.H. Koh, and K.T. Um. 1989. Evaluation of soil erosion management practices on sloped farm. land. Res. Rept. RDA (S&F) 31(4):16-22.
- Kim, J.T. and S.W. Park. 1994. Runoff and soil losses from sloping lands with different cropping practices. J. Korean Soc. Agric. Eng. 36(1):73-82.
- Laflen, J.M. and W.C. Moldenhauer. 1979. Soil and water loss from corn-Corn rotations. Soil Sci. Am. J. 43:1213-1215. https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj1979.03615995004300060032x
- Lee, H.H., S.K. Ha, S.O. Hur, G.H. Jung, C.W. Park, and G.H. Kim. 2007. Characteristics of soil water runoff and canopy cover subfactor in sloped land with different soil texture. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 40(2):131-135.
- Lee, J.T., G.J. Lee, C.S. Park, S.W. Hwang, and Y.R. Yeoung. 2005. Effect of hairy vetch (Vicia villosa Roth) sod culture on decreasing soil loss and providing nitrogen for Chinese cabbage in highland. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 38(5):294-300.
- Lee, J.T., G.J. Lee, J.S. Ryu, S.W. Hwang, S.Y. Park, Y.S. Zhang, and Y.S. Jeong. 2011. Application of reduce tillage with a strip tiller and its effect on soil erosion reduction in Chinese cabbage cultivation. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 44(6):970-976. https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2011.44.6.970
- Lee, J.T., G.J. Lee, J.S. Ryu, J.S. Kim, S.W. Hwang, and Y.S. Zhang. 2012. Evaluation of surface covering methods for reducing soil loss of highland slope in soybean cultivation. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 45(5):725-732. https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2012.45.5.725
- Luna, J. and M. Stabel. 2003. Using strip tillage in vegetable production systems in western oregon. Oregon State University Extension Service.
- NIAST (National Institute of Agricultural Science and Technology). 2000. Methods of soil and crop plant analysis. National Institute of Agricultural Science and Technology, Suwon, Korea.
- NIAST (National Institute of Agricultural Science and Technology). 2006. Fertilizer Application Recommendation for Crops. p. 87-130. National Institute of Agricultural Science and Technology, Suwon, Korea.
- Park, S.H., D.H. Lee, H.J. Kim, C.S. Lee, S.C. Cho, and T.Y. Kwak. 2002. Development of dry paddy seeder of strip tillage. J. Biosyst. Eng. 27(1):25-32 (In Korean). https://doi.org/10.5307/JBE.2002.27.1.025
- Peterson, d. 2004. Strip-Till: The best of both worlds. University of Illinois extension, College of agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences.
- RDA (Rural Development Administration). 2003. Investigation and standard for agricultural experiment. p. 323-334. RDA, Suwon, Korea.
- Seo, J.H., J.Y. Park, and D.Y. Song. 2005. Effect of hairy vetch on prevention of soil erosion and reduction of nitrogen fertilization in sloped upland. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 38(3):134-141.
- Wainwright, J., A.J. Parsons, and A.D. Abronbams. 2000. Plot scale studies of vegetation, overland flow and erosion interactions: Case studies from Arizona and New Mexico. Hydrol. Process 14:2921-2943. https://doi.org/10.1002/1099-1085(200011/12)14:16/17<2921::AID-HYP127>3.0.CO;2-7
- Wischmeier, W.H. and D.D. Smith. 1978. Predicting rainfall erosion losses: A guide to conservation planning. p. 58. Agricultural Handbook No. 537, USDA, Washington D.C., USA.
- Effect of Legume Cover Crops and Nitrogen Fertilization Rates on Yield and Nitrogen Use Efficiency of Waxy Corn (Zea mays L.) in No-Tillage System vol.49, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2016.49.5.531