- Volume 46 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Classification of Soil Desalination Areas Using High Resolution Satellite Imagery in Saemangeum Reclaimed Land
- Lee, Kyung-Do (Soil and Fertilizer Management Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science, RDA) ;
- Baek, Shin-Chul (Soil and Fertilizer Management Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science, RDA) ;
- Hong, Suk-Young (Soil and Fertilizer Management Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science, RDA) ;
- Kim, Yi-Hyun (Soil and Fertilizer Management Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science, RDA) ;
- Na, Sang-Il (Soil and Fertilizer Management Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science, RDA) ;
- Lee, Kyeong-Bo (Reclaimed Land Agriculture Research Division, National Institute of Crop Science, RDA)
- Received : 2013.11.01
- Accepted : 2013.11.13
- Published : 2013.12.31
This study was aimed to classify soil desalination area for cultivation using NDVI (Normalized difference vegetation index) of high-resolution satellite image because the soil salinity affects the change of plant community in reclaimed lands. We measured the soil salinity and NDVI at 28 sites in the Saemangeum reclaimed land in June 2013. In halophyte and non-vegetation sites, no relation was found between NDVI and soil salinity. In glycophyte sites, however, we found that the soil salinity was below 0.1% and NDVI ranged from 0.11 to 0.57 which was greater than the other sites. So, we could distinguish the glycophyte sites from the halophyte sites and non-vegetation, and classify the area that soil salinty was below 0.1%. This technique could save the time and labor to measure the soil salinity in large area for agricultural utilization.
RapidEye;Satellite imagery;Soil salinity;NDVI;Saemangeum reclaimed land
Supported by : NAAS
- Aldakhee, Y.Y. 2011. Assessing NDVI spatial pattern as related irrigation and soil salinity management in Al-Hassa oasis, Saudi Arabia. J. Indian Soc. Remote Sens. 39(2):171-180. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12524-010-0057-z
- Choi, S.P., J.S. Park, and H.J. Kim. 2005. Utility of separable evaluation of the vegetation cover rates and vegetation vigor using spectral reflectance. Korean J. Soc. Sur. Geo. P. C. 23(4):393-399.
- Fouad, A.K. 2003. Soil salinity detection using satellite remote sensing. MS. Thesis, University of Twente, Enschede, Netherlands.
- Hong, S.Y., B.K. Min, J.M. Lee, Y.H. Kim, and K.D. Lee. 2012. Estimation of paddy field area in North Korea using RapidEye images. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 45(6):1194-1202. https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2012.45.6.1194
- Jung, Y.S., J.E. Yang, C.S. Park, Y.G. Kwon, and Y.K. Joo. 1998. Changes of stream water quality and loads of N and P from the agricultural watershed of the Yulmunchon tributary of the Buk-Han river basin. J. Korean Soc. Soil Sci. Fert. 31(2):170-176.
- Jung, S.J., W.H. Lee, J.H. Joo, I.H. Yu, W.S. Shin, Y. Ahn, and S.H. Yoo. 2003. Use of electromagnetic inductance for salinity measurement in reclaimed saline land. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 36(2):57-65.
- Kim, C.H. 2009. Studies on vegetation for ecological restoration of salt marshes in Saemangeum reclaimed land -Germination strategies and character o f halophytes. J. Environ. Sci. 18(4):451-462.
- Kim, E.K., Y.S. Jung, H.G. Jeong, Y.K. Joo, and S. Chun. 2007. Vegetation distribution of intertidal zone and estuary area on Anser port in Saemangeum reclamation zone. Korean J. Env. Eco. 21(6):494-505.
- Kim, E.K., S. Chun, Y.K. Joo, Y.S. Jung, and H.G. Jung. 2008. Soil salinity and continuum distribution of vegetation on the three reclaimed tidal flats of Kyonggi-Bay in the mid-west coast of Korea. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 41(2):83-93.
- Kim, E,K., Y.S. Jung, Y.K. Joo, H.G. Jung, S. Chun, and S.H. Lee. 2009. Vegetation distribution and soil salinity on Daeho reclaimed tidal land of Kyonggi-Bay in the mid-west coast of Korea. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 42(6):447-453.
- Kim, H.O., J.M. Yeom, and Y.S. Kim. 2011. The multi-temporal characteristics of spectral vegetation indices for agricultural land use on RapidEye satellite imagery. KARI. 10(1):149-155.
- Kim, H.W. 2013. Analysis of soil characteristics of farming sites in Saemangeum reclaimed land. MS. Thesis, Chonbuk National University, Jeonju, Korea.
- Kim, S., T.K. Kim, N.H. Back, C.H. Yang, J.H. Lee, J.H. Jeong, W.Y. Choi, Y.D. Kim, and S.J. Kim. 2010. Characteristics of plant ecology under salt concentration of soil at newly reclaimed land of Saemangeum Gyehwa area. Korean S. Weed Sci. 30(2):109-110.
- Lee, S.H., K.J. Ji, Y. An, and H.M. Ro. 2003. Soil salinity and vegetation distribution at four tidal reclamation project areas. Korean J. Environ. Agri. 22(2): 79-86. https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2003.22.2.079
- Park, J.H., Y.H. Shin, and S.H. Lee. 2003. Spectral reflectance characteristics for five soils at Chungbuk prefecture and tideland soil using remote sensing technology. J. Korean Env. Res. & Reveg. Tech. 6(1): 34-40.
- Park, J.H. and S.I. Na. 2006. Assessment of the Ochang plain NDVI using improved resolution method from MODIS images. Korean J. Env. Res & Reveg. Tech. 9(6):1-12.
- RDA. 2007. Management techniques for reclaimed paddy soil. P. 46-51, National institute of crop science, Iksan, Jeollabukdo.
- Ryu, J.H., D.Y. Chung, C.H. Yoo, and J.D. Kir, 2008. Characteristics of soil physico-chemical properties in two types of reclaimed sandy paddy soils. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 54.(Abstr.)
- Seamanguem Development committee. 2011. Seamanguem promotional brochure. Seamanguem Ariul. http://www.smgc.go.kr/kor/html/main.jsp
- Sohn, Y.M., G.Y. Jeon, J.D. Song, J.H. Lee, and M.E. Park. 2009. Effect of spatial soil salinity cariation on the emergence of soiling and forage crops seeded at the newly reclaimed tidal lands in Korea. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 42(3):172-178.
- Sohn, Y.M., J.D. Song, G.Y. Jeon, D.H. Kim, and M.E. Park. 2010. Effect of soil salinity and culturing condition on the maintenance of ridge and the growth of upland crop in the Saemangeum reclaimed tidal land. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 43(5):529-539.
- Tanji, K.K. 1990. Agricultural Salinity Assessment and Management. American Society of Civil Engineers, New York, US
- Zhang, T.T., S.L. Zeng, Y. Gao, Z.T. Ouyang, B. Li, C.M. Fang, and B. Zhao. 2011. Using hyperspectral vegetation indices as a proxy to monitor soil salinity. Ecological Indicators. 11:1552-1562. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolind.2011.03.025
- Mapping of Vegetation Using Multi-Temporal Downscaled Satellite Images of a Reclaimed Area in Saemangeum, Republic of Korea vol.9, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/rs9030272