- Volume 46 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Characteristics of TN and TP in Runoff from Reclaimed Paddy Field of Fine Sandy Loam
- Lee, Kyung-Do (Soil and Fertilizer Management Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science, RDA) ;
- Hong, Suk-Young (Soil and Fertilizer Management Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science, RDA) ;
- Kim, Yi-Hyun (Soil and Fertilizer Management Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science, RDA) ;
- Na, Sang-Il (Soil and Fertilizer Management Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science, RDA) ;
- Lee, Kyeong-Bo (Reclaimed Land Agriculture Research Division, National Institute of Crop Science, RDA)
- Received : 2013.11.01
- Accepted : 2013.11.13
- Published : 2013.12.31
This study investigated the runoff from rice paddy located on reclaimed fine sandy loam soil to provide data for the development of policies to protect water quality of estuaries. Total N (TN), Total P (TP) concentrations and runoff loads at outlet were monitored from 2006 to 2008. Soil phosphate adsorptivity was measured and compared with typical paddy soil in watersheds. TP concentration of the paddy water and TP runoff loads were much greater than those of typical paddy field in watershed because phosphate adsoptivity in reclaimed paddy field of fine sandy loam appeared to be a third of those of typical paddy soils by relatively low soil OM and high sand content of the reclaimed soil. Thus, nutrient runoff, particularly phosphate from the reclaimed paddy field needs to be managed more thoroughly to protect estuarine water quality.
TN;TP;Reclaimed land paddy;Runoff
Supported by : NAAS
- Han, K.H., J.H. Kim, J.S. Lee, J.T. Lee, J.Y. Cho, and K.S. Yoon. 2005. Effect of sampling frequency during storm period on estimation of pollutant load from paddy field. Korean J. Environ. Agric. 24(1):17-23. https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2005.24.1.017
- Cho, J.Y., K.W. Han, and C.H. Choi. 1999. Runoff loading of nitrogen and phosphorus with rainfall intensity from a paddy field. Korean J. Environ. Agric. 18(2):140-147.
- Cho, J.W., J.S. Kim, K.Y. Oh, and S.Y. Oh. 2006. Pollutant concentrations at experimental paddy plots during irrigation season. J. KSAE. 48(3):97-106. https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2006.48.3.097
- Hang, S.W., J.G. Kang, K.D. Lee, K.B. Lee, K.H. Park and D.Y. Chung. 2012. Division of soil properties in reclaimed land of the Mangyeong and Dongjin river basin and their agricultural engineering management. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 45(3):444-450. https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2012.45.3.444
- Jeon, J.H., C.G. Yoon, J.K. Choi, and K.S. Yoon. 2005. The comparion of water budget and nutrient loading from paddy field according to the irrigation methods. Korean J. Limnol. 38(1):118-127.
- Jung, Y.S., J.E. Yang, C.S. Park, Y.G. Kwon, and Y.K. Joo. 1998. Changes of stream water quality and loads of N and P from the agricultural watershed of the Yulmunchon tributary of the Buk-Han river basin. J. Korean Soc. Soil Sci. Fert. 31(2):170-176.
- Jung, Y.S., W.H Lee, J.H Joo, I.H. Ryu, W.S. Shin, Y. Ahn, S.H. Ryu. 2003. Use of electromagnetic inductance for salinity measurement in reclaimed saline land. J. Korean Soc. Soil Sci. Fert. 36(2):57-65.
- Kim, S.S., J.S. Kim, K.Y. Bang, E.M. Gwon, W.J. Chung. 2002. The estimation of the unit load and characteristics of non-point source discharge according to rainfall in Kyongan watershed. J. KSEE. 24(11):2019-2027.
- Kim, J.H., J.S. Lee, J.S. Ryu, K.D. Lee, G.B. Jung, W.I. Kim, J.T. Lee, and S.K. Kwun. 2005. Characteristics of Non-point Pollutants Discharge in a Small Agricultural Watershed during Farming Season. Korean J. Environ. Agric. 24(2):77-82. https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2005.24.2.077
- Kim, M.K., K.A. Roh, N.J. Lee, M.C. Seo, and M.H. Koh. 2005. Nutrient load balance in large-scale paddy fields during rice cultivation. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 38(3):164-171.
- Kim, Y.H., J.S. Kim, and H. Jang. 2010. Variation of phosphorus concentration and redox potential in a paddy field plot during growing season. J. KSAE. 52(5):47-52. https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2010.52.5.047
- Kirk, G.J.D., T.R. Yu and F.A. Choudhury. 1990. Phosphorus chemistry in relation to water regime. In:Phosphorus Requrements for Sustainable Agriculture in Asia and Oceania. International Rice Research Institute, Los Banos, Philippines. 211-223.
- Kwun, S.K. 1998. Management improvement and perspective on nonpoint sources of water pollution in Korea. J. KSEE. 20(11):1497-1510.
- Lee, H.D., J.H. Ahn, C.H. Bae, and W.J. Kim. 2001. Estimation of the unit loading and total loading of nonpoint source in Paldang watershed by runoff loading during the rainfall. J. KSWQ. 17(3):313-326.
- Lee, K.D. J.G. Kang, J.H. Jung, J.H Ryu, H.S. Ko, S.H. Im, S.W. Hwang and K.B. Lee. 2011. Analysis of multiple regression on soil physicochemical properties and P sorption in reclaimed land. KSSSF autumn conference (Abstract).
- Nam, G.S., S.K. Hwang, D.B. Hong. 2010. Water quality property and measure of improvement for Gyehwa reservoir neighboring in the Saemangeum. KCID J. 17(1):4-15.
- Oh, S.Y., J.S. Kim, K.S. Kim, S.J. Kim, and C.G. Yoon. 2002. Unit loads of pollutants in a paddy fields area with large-scaled plots during irrigation seasons. J. KSAE. 44(2):136-147.
- Pierynski, G.M. 2000. Methods of phosphorus analysis for soils, sediments, residuals, and waters. Southern Cooperative Series Bulletin No. #396, North Carolina State University, USA.
- Seo, C.S., S.W. Park, S.J. Im, K.S. Yoon, S.M. Kim, and M.S. Kang. 2002. Development of CREAMS-PADDY model for simulating pollutants from irrigated paddies. J. KSAE. 44(3):146-156.
- Shin, D.S. and S.K. Kwun. 1990. The concentration and input/output of nitrogen and phosphorus in paddy fields. Korean J. Environ. Agric. 9(2):133-141.
- Shin, E.S., J.Y. Choi, and D.H. Lee. 2001. Estimation of non-point source pollutant unit-loads in surface runoff considering land-use and basin characteristics. J. KSWQ. 17(2):137-146.
- Vepraskas, M.J. and S.P. Faulkner. 2001. Redox chemistry of hydric soils, ed. Wetland Soils: Genesis, Hydrology, Landscapes, and Classification, CRC Press LLC. 85-105.
- Yoo, C.H., C.H. Yang, T.K. Kim, J.H. Ryu, J.H. Jung, S.W. Kang, J.D. Kim and K.Y. Jung. 2007. Physico-chemical properties of paddy soil and actual farming conditions in Gyehwa reclaimed tidal land. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 40(2):109-113.
- Yoon, K.S., S.M. Choi, H.M. Yang, K.H. Han, and K.S. Han. 2001. Prediction of the pollutant loading into estuary lake according to non-cultivation and cultivation conditions of reclaimed tidal land. J. Kor. Soc. Rural Plan. 7(1):22-36.
- Yoon, K.S., K.H. Han, J.Y. Cho, C.H. Choi, J.G. Son, and J.K. Choi. 2002. Water and nutrient balance of paddy field irrigated from a pumping station during cropping period. J. Kor. Soc. Rural Plan. 8(1):3-14.
- Yoon, C.G., H.S. Hwang, J.H. Jeon, and J.H. Ham. 2003. Analysis of nutrients balance during paddy rice cultivation. Korean J. Limnol. 36(1):66-73.