- Volume 17 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Characteristics and Dynamic Modeling of MR Damper for Semi-active Vibration Control
준능동 진동 제어를 위한 MR 감쇠기의 동적 모델링을 통한 특성분석
- Received : 2013.08.12
- Accepted : 2013.10.08
- Published : 2013.11.30
This research is aimed to evaluate characteristics and dynamic modeling of MR damper for semi-active vibration control. A MR damper of semi-active type was designed and made for the purpose of controlling the vibration of a real-size model structure. Usually a semi-active control system equipped with a MR damper requires a dynamic model which expresses numerical data about the damping capacity and dynamic characteristics generated by a MR damper. To fulfil the requirement, a Power model and a Bingham model were particularly employed among many dynamic models of MR damper. Those models being contrasted with other ones, a dynamic test was carried out on the developed MR damper. In the test, excitation frequencies were conditioned to be 0.15 Hz, 1.0 Hz, and 2.0 Hz, and three different currents were adopted for each frequency. From these test results, it was found that displacement affected control capacity of the MR damper. The test results led to the identification of model variables for each dynamic model, on the basis of which a force-speed relation curve and expected damping force were derived and contrasted to those of the developed MR damper. Therefore, it was proven that the MR damper designed and made in this research was effective as a semi-active controller, and also that displacement of 2mm at minimum was found to be secured for vibration control, through the test using various displacements.
Semi-active;MR damper;Dynamic modeling;Power model;Bingham model
- Carlson, J. D. and Spencer Jr., B. F., "Magneto-Rheological Fluid Dampers for Semi-Active Seismic Control", Proceeding of the 3rd International Conference on Motion and Vibration Control, Chiba Japan, Vol. 3, 1996, pp.35-40.
- Datta, T. K., "A State-of-Art Review on Active Control of Structures", ISET Journal of Earthquake Technology, March, Paper No. 430, Vol. 40, No. 1, 2003, pp.1-17.
- Dyke, S. J., Spencer, Jr., B. F., Sain, M. K. and Carlson, J. D., "An Experimental Study of MR Dampers for Seismic Protection", Smart Materials and Structures: Special Issue on Large Civil Structures, 1998, pp.693-703.
- Fujino, Y., Soong, T. T. and Spencer, Jr., B. F., "Structural Control: Basic Concepts and Applications", Proc. ASCE Structures Congress, 1996, pp.1277-1287.
- Gavin, H. P., Hose, Y. D. and Hanson, R. D., "Design and Control of Electrorheological Dampers", Proceeding of the First World Conference on Structural Control, Pasadena, CA, August 3-5, Vol. 1, 1994, pp.WP3-83-WP3-92.
- Gavin, H. P., Ortiz, D. S. and Hanson, R. D., "Testing and Modeling of a Prototype ER Damper for Seismic Structural Response Control", Proceedings of the International Workshop on Structural Control, USC Publication Number CE-9311, 1994, pp.166-180.
- Heo, G. H., and Jeon, J. Y., "Dynamic Modeling of Semi-active Squeeze Mode MR Damper for Structural Vibration Control", Journal of the Korea Institute for Structural Maintenance and Inspection, Vol. 13, No. 1, 2009, pp.172-180 (in Korean, with English abstract).
- Heo, G. H., Lee, D. G., Lee, G. and Lee, W. S., "Smart Damping System for Structural Vibration Mitigation; Development of Unified Clipped Optimal Algorithm and Evaluation of Control Performance", The 1th International Conference of Advanced Nondestructive Evaluation, 2005, p.30.
- Heo, G. H., Lee, G., Lee, W. S. and Lee, D. G., "Designing a Smart Damping System to Mitigate Structure Vibration: Part 2. Experimental Approval of Unified Lyapunov Control Algorithm", Smart Structures and Material 12th SPIE Annual International Symposium, March, Vol. 5757, 2005, pp.587-593.
- Jansen, L. M. and Dyke, S. J., "Semiactive Control Strategies for MR Dampers: Comparative Study", Journal of Engineering Mechanics, 2000, pp.795-803.
- Sodeyama, H., Sunakoda, K., Fujitani, H., Soda, S., Iwata, N. and Hata, K., "Dynamic Tests and Simulation of Magneto-Rheological Dampers", Computer-Aided Civil and Intrastructure Engineering, 2003, pp.45-57.
- Sodeyama, H., Suzuki, K. and Sunakoda, K., "Development of Large Capacity Semi-Active Seismic Damper Using Magneto-Rheologocal Fluid", Transactions of the ASME Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, Vol. 126, Februare, 2004, pp.105-109. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1634587
- Spencer, Jr., B. F., Dyke, S. J. and Carlson, J. D., "Phenomenologcal Model for Magnetorheological Dampers", Journal of Engineering Mechanics, ASCE, Vol. 123, No. 3, 1997, pp.230-238. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(1997)123:3(230)
- Yang, G., "Large-Scale Magnetorheological Fluid Damper for Vibration Mitigation: Modeling", Testing and Control, Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Notre Dame. 2001.
- Yang, G., Spencer, Jr., B. F., Carlson, J. D. and Sain, M. K., "Large-scale MR fluid dampers: modeling and dynamic performance considerations", Engineering Structures, Vol. 24, Issue 3, 2002, pp.309-323. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(01)00097-9
- Calculating a MR Damper’s Optimal Capacity for a Control of Structural Vibration vol.20, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5000/EESK.2016.20.3.163
Supported by : 한국연구재단